Per collection thread

• Thanks Monkey_Man and waraba

Quirky number. Written a few of them myself.

Whenever I hear any of them I wonder what the Hell I'll do with them one day. :D

You should use them. Quirks show personality to your audience, some bands are all quirk! It’s more challenging today as you can’t so readily curate yourself to your audience, people stream specific tracks rather than buying a single where you could have a couple of B-Side tracks including something more off kilter. But you could just release them as an album “In from the left-field”. :)

Great buzzing bass & gits , that was funny & well done

Thanks waraba !

• Tonights, just a short thing both because it's been a long weekend and also because I'm working on mixing practice a little with these new monitors.

The result for me seems to translate well elsewhere or at least with a lot of separation and clarity between the instruments, but I also feel like right now I am very uptight about mixing, I have this feeling like I've learned some bad habits of trusting my eyes more than my ears in order to accommodate the feedback I've been given up to this point. I need to build up the nerve to go back to basics and maybe deliver a few mixes that have zero master bus effects on them and where I simply mix to where I like the sound and ignore my intellectual inner voice. Then use that as a baseline to improve from, if only so that I spend less time on making these things.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Good idea brother.

My broken record:

Dial the mix limiting / compression back a bit. Generally there's been too much pumping IMHO. It "should" only be used for effect IMHO. This, I'm guessing, has caused you to chase your tail a bit when it comes to getting drums, especially snare, to sit right in the mix. In my experience it tends to bury the snare. Cymbals have exhibited pumping too more often than I'm guessing you'd like.

Also, I'll repeat what I said the other day:

As a general rule, never boost low mids in vocals. This not only tends to sound "amateur", but it ultimately lessens the ability of notes to be perceived clearly in-the-mix 'cause the energy boost means that you're chewing up headroom unnecessarily. Great in solo mode, not-so-great in a mix.

If you stand close to the mic I'd try cutting them.

By the same token, the mid mids ought not be cut if you want notes to "sing through".

• Keep it simple Per. Then add the layers as you go. You told me that.

On Spaced out, I find the drums a bit harsh and too forward. The snare especially.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

No master fx

• External Content soundcloud.com

No master fx

Great some Per

• Tonights, just a short thing both because it's been a long weekend and also because I'm working on mixing practice a little with these new monitors.

The result for me seems to translate well elsewhere or at least with a lot of separation and clarity between the instruments, but I also feel like right now I am very uptight about mixing, I have this feeling like I've learned some bad habits of trusting my eyes more than my ears in order to accommodate the feedback I've been given up to this point. I need to build up the nerve to go back to basics and maybe deliver a few mixes that have zero master bus effects on them and where I simply mix to where I like the sound and ignore my intellectual inner voice. Then use that as a baseline to improve from, if only so that I spend less time on making these things.

Nice Per

• These stereo toms on mouthpiece are a bit too prominent to me on my own monitors FYI , and the lower mids have some unpleasant booming , that may be just my own monitoring tough.

Same with spaced out, too much drums (snare ) , vocals are also very present but in a much nicer way.

If think your post FX do a lot on the whole clarity and boominess reduction from what I'm used to with previous mixes

• Thanks for the useful feedback Monkey_Man  Franjoe30  waraba and BayouTexan ! I'll see how I can apply it going forward.

• Feel lazy tonight