Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

great Groove! :thumbup:

Don't take it Bad and don't get me wrong please, but in This one I'd expecting a Vocal part more ''in your face'', not so ethereal.

Per, would you explain me How You're So productive??

I stay on one track for 2 or 3 weeks.. you do 2 or 3 song a day!!??! What's Your secret? 8)

• Thanks Sollazzon and BayouTexan . I’m afraid my voice is what it is, I don’t like it any more than you do but the tracks would often be much more dull without some sort of vocal.

I make a track a day, it’s easy to do because it’s routine and I don’t put any pressure on myself, these don’t have to be complete songs, they don’t have to be songs, they don’t have to be good, they don’t even have to be music. If you stop caring about quality and start understanding “it doesn’t matter” you can move forward and make decisions much faster. There is always tomorrow, and you can always make any chord sequence, riff or idea sound decent provided you just start, but if you don’t start it’s only gonna sound like silence.

• If you stop caring about quality and start understanding “it doesn’t matter” you can move forward and make decisions much faster.

That's a lovely philosophy and gives you more opportunity to practice much more and much quicker... and with practice comes what? Quality! :thumbup: 8)

I'm often guilty of falling into the perfection-trap! Not good. Need to remind myself more of the 80:20 rule or similar helpers for "go practice and care less about details" :) ...so thanks Per for being a reminder and role-model for me :thumbup:

• You know I know that first hand. I hate my voice. Yours is seriously more developed than mine. I am not dissing your vocals and I think Sollazon isn't either. George Michael is a great singer but probably can't do Van Halen songs to save his life (if he was alive). I wouldn't expect you to taylor songs to fit your voice either, because you of course, would limit your creativity.

The comment was still a complement. I want to hear your vocals on every tune, maybe even my tunes. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• That's ok, I didn't take it as anything other than face value. I also would have liked to hear a good blues or soul voice in there but I'm a British guy with a soft and annoying voice, as much as everyone who ever sang wishes they as cool as David Ruffin that ain't gonna happen so I have to take it in the directions that are achievable for me and my limitations and try to eek out something interesting with what's available to me. As that's also the only way to break ground and make new sounds I don't mind.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Tonight’s had to be done in GarageBand on my iPad with cans so excuse the mix and tracking

External Content soundcloud.com

• Cool song and riffing. I can hear you being a little more agressive on your vocals which is great! I wonder how it would sound without the vocal chorusing during the verse parts. I also wonder how it would sound on the L/R panned backing vocals if your were to swoosh them back and forth for a rotary effect. That might be cool.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I can hear you being a little more agressive on your vocals which is great!

Indeed.

Per's "singing out" in that one as opposed to virtually "whispering", the habit peeps get into when they sing whilst trying to avoid being overheard / disturbing someone.

Well-done Per! :thumbup:

• Thanks Monkey_Man , unfortunately almost all my vocals are about the same volume wise. My voice never builds body as I go louder, in effect I have the dubious ability to include more or less room by moving closer and further from the mic with no real change in tone or recorded level unless I'm so close there's proximity effect. In that track I used a little vocal fry and it paid off, but most of the time it sounds pretty nasty so I don't. There's simply nothing more to coax out of my voice.

• Alright, got myself a new rig, a shiny new MacBook Pro :D. Fingers crossed it's a good one.

Tonight though I was mostly exploring the new bad sound city plugin, seeing how extreme the sounds can be, and on drums especially they can be pretty extreme! Not sure it's sounds I would use much of but it's fin to try stuff out and go outside of my comfort zone

[soundcloud]

External Content soundcloud.com
    [/soundcloud]

• My voice never builds body as I go louder, in effect I have the dubious ability to include more or less room by moving closer and further from the mic with no real change in tone or recorded level unless I'm so close there's proximity effect.

IMHO you don't want body anyway brother; it's what's made your voice sound amateurish in-the-mix when you first started out on this journey... IMHO.

I've been meaning to say this for a long time, so if I haven't already, try backing off from the mic when you're recording. It'll sit better in the mix / feel less disjointed / sound more pro IMHO.

I'm sure I would've mentioned maybe high-passing it more previously, but IMHO it's better to start with this "naturally-thinned" source material before the HPF.

When someone sings or speaks to you, he or she doesn't typically do so in-your-ear, so we're used to hearing a naturally-thinned signal. This is one reason FM DJ's voices annoy me - they crank the bass up and sound like they're practically swallowing their mic's. Way too much bass. Far from natural.