Per collection thread

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Kind of slumber has that nice punchy low end I like to hear.

When you're small is nice and crisp.

Do you move the center guitar off-center slightly when the vocals are at center? I find that moving the bass off about 7% from center gives it more space from the centered kick, so I was wondering if that would be the same with vocals centered against a centered guitar.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks deadman42 and BayouTexan !

I don't offset instruments except when I want them to feel like they're in different locations. Depending on the panning law used within your DAW you'll find that shifting from center may result in a little boost (or drop) in volume, so be a little careful with it.

As Monkey_Man has pointed out, people are going to probably mostly listen on mono systems, whether it's a single EarPods, a crapmac(tm), radios etc, so I always assume that it has to work in mono first, then any stereo stuff is niceness for those who happen to care enough to listen on a nicer system.

If I need space around something then that's an arrangement issue, if something needs to be louder that's a mix issue. So that basically puts clarity in the arrangement end of things, and mix being about location. I rush these through and vocals normally go on last so I don't re-arrange around them.

With regards balancing your bass and the drums. just remember that different frequencies want to steal energy from each other. So because bass and kick occupy the same territory a bass note on the kick merges in together and in a way reinforces it (it has to be tight) but softens its transient which is higher up and conversely the kick will to an extent hide the bass itself. Any drum beat that there's no bass note on will be emphasized because the bass isn't stealing energy from it, this is why you often hear during a verse a bass playing 8ths, but during the chorus it's skipping the snare beats so they really hit hard. If I want the bass and kick to separate than I simply play the bass an octave higher for that section.

• Apparently I forgot to post this one here last night

External Content soundcloud.com