Tip #13: EQ - STACK - EQ

• Yes, there is an EQ block in the KPA - with big knobs :D

But there is much more - we have separate EQ blocks.

If a parametric EQ block is placed before the STACK (D slot) and another EQ block after the STACK (X slot) - then a lot can be done with the raw amp sound of the profile.

Especially if you are after HighGain sounds - reducing the bass a lot before the STACK and then add it later after the STACK.

I used to do the same with a distortion box called 'Womanizer' from DamageControl:
    Parametric EQ - Womanizer - Parametric EQ

This can create great HighGain sounds.

Now I can do the same with the KPA only :thumbup:

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• Thumbs up - I used to do a similar thing with my Demonizer. What a shame Damage Control is gone, they made some quality pedals!

-djh

Yes, the great 'two tubes pedals' Womanizer and Demonizer are discontinued - currently they are planing to create new ones.
    Damage Control

I have owned both the Womanizer and the Demonizer - the first is more for classic sounds the second for HighGain.

With the EQ - Stack - EQ trick can I get the Womanizer to sound the same as the Demonizer - and by adding some more 'KPA-Gain' even more aggressive :D

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• Yes, the Glass Nexus was the ultimate box for clean tone.

Liquid Blues was the small brother of the Womanizer and the Solid Metal was the small brother of the Demonizer.
    The Womanizer and Demonizer sounded almost the same - I think the only difference was the internal EQ'ing.

I just recorded a short demo of my "Damage Control - Womanizer" profiles modified by the EQ-Stack-EQ trick 8o
    Damage

• related to this tip (#13b, if you will):

try (G)EQ - DRV - (G)EQ before an amp. The Akai G-Drive among others had the same concept (too bad the distortion itself was weak).

many additional great tones can be coaxed out of existing drive pedals like this.

• Hi armin. Which eq do you place before and after the stack and what frequencies do you modify?

As mentioned in my initial post:

Parametric EQ - Stack - Parametric EQ

- I reduced the bass a lot before the STACK and then add it later after the STACK
    - added some treble after the stack as well
    - reduced the mids after the stack as well

frequencies depends on the used profile and taste.

• What is (G) ??? btw

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• cool !

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Yes, this is one key for deepest sound editing.

• right.

the Studio EQ is of course also very powerful in this setup, but to get a feel for the pre-dist-EQ plus post-dist-EQ concept, I recommend the GEQ with it's fixed bands one octave apart.

im looking at EQ for the first time, and happy to find my strat neck pickup has finally come to life with a little EQ. could someone describe the 'fixed bands one octave apart' quote? so i know what im looking at on the kpa GEQ values :)

• I octave = double or half frequency

The KPA EQ has 8 fix frequencies at:
    80 - 160 - 320 - 640 ... 10000hz

so each 'band' is one octave below / above the next 'band'

For more exact adjustments is the 'Studio EQ' in the KPA.
    This one has only 3 bands (low, mid, high) but the frequency of each band can be freely adjusted....

... and in case more bands are needed - add another 'Studio EQ' in another slot

• the Studio EQ has four bands

Can you tell us the centre fequencies of the regular EQ in the Stack section and the monitor out EQ?

I Would like to know it because after a gig I want to implement the changes that I made while playing into the settings of the Studio EQ. Thus I can keep the Stack EQ pritty much in the centre positions in order to have the most widest possibilities to react in different stage situations so that I don't have to touch the Studio EQ during a gig.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• the Studio EQ has four bands:

low shelving
    2 fully parametric bands (over the whole frequency range)
    and high shelving ;)

Yes, you are right - two full bands and low/high shelving - and in case anybody needs more e.g. 4 full bands - use two of them.