Everything Is Off - new foray outside my comfort zone inspired by Jeff Beck

• This is my second foray outside of my comfort zone.

For this tune I decided to not rely on stuff I usually do and limit myself in the following ways:

1. Use only one guitar and one pickup position for all guitar sounds. So I picked the one I seldom use. The bridge single coil on a Strat style guitar, in this case my K-Line Springfield.

2. Not use a pick so I used all my right hand fingers.

3. Use one amp model for all guitar sounds. In this case a 100w Plexi.

4. Not use synths for chordal stuff so all harmonic content is the Springfield. In the beginning my ambition was not to use synths at all but the 8th note staccato bass line is a synth, but that's all.

5. In the bridge section I should radically depart from the main theme and the main sounds and use only non guitar sounding sounds but still with the bridge single coil.

I'm very grateful to Zoork01 for daring me to go outside my comfort zone as this is really a lot of fun as well as I learn a ton of new stuff.

Hope you find it as much fun as I did!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Very cool riffs and exploration, I can tell you were having fun letting your hair down! Really impressive that this is finger style too.

Looking forward to more of you exploring outside of your comfort zone!

• I hate to say it but sounds like you nailed down a new song for Robert Palmer. You just need the monochrome chics for the video. ;)8)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Very nice.

I do hear a bit of Beck's sound around the Guitar Shop album. His vibrato bar technique is beyond understanding.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Very cool riffs and exploration, I can tell you were having fun letting your hair down! Really impressive that this is finger style too.

Looking forward to more of you exploring outside of your comfort zone!

Thanks, Per! But being my age, I don't have much hair to let down. :D

Next exploration took me in a very different direction. Soon to be mixed and posted.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Very nice.

I do hear a bit of Beck's sound around the Guitar Shop album. His vibrato bar technique is beyond understanding.

Thanks, Ruefus!

Guitar Shop was my first real experience of Jeff Beck so I'm not surprised that you can hear it.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Absolutely! Great ideas and playing Mats. Is that a "scaled down Strat body with the feel of a Les Paul"? ;)

Thanks, Harmonik!

No, as far as I'm aware the Springfield is a full size strat body with a definitive vintage strat feel.

Cheers,

Mats N