It Was You - inspired by Larry Carlton's clean tone

• I have always loved Larry Carlton's playing and his sounds are sometimes out of this world. So in an attempt to write a tune where I could try to play in his style using a clean tone, I wrote this.

Guitars

Rhythm: James Tyler SE

Lead: Collings I-35LC

Bass: Sire Marcus Miller V7

Hope you'll like it!

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Very nice and super clean production Mats, your skills there are amazing! The tune as well, very well done, it sounds super nice, has very tasty sounds in it... :thumbup:8)

If I may, there is one thing missing for me: A break, a little dynamic piece and most of all: A few seconds in which the lead guitar is quiet. If I translate the lead guitar into a singing voice then it is a tune with constant singing. Too much for me. Little less would be more.

• Very nice and super clean production Mats, your skills there are amazing! The tune as well, very well done, it sounds super nice, has very tasty sounds in it... :thumbup:8)

If I may, there is one thing missing for me: A break, a little dynamic piece and most of all: A few seconds in which the lead guitar is quiet. If I translate the lead guitar into a singing voice then it is a tune with constant singing. Too much for me. Little less would be more.

Hi Deadman,

I totally get what you're saying. I will keep it in mind for coming tunes.

I did think of a break but not the way you did so the little bridge with the dominant chords was what I came up with .

Cheers,

Mats N

• Wow. The intro pulled me right in. Beautiful song composition. I would be proud of that one. Instant hit. I agree with deadman42 except I would love to hear a cut to saxophone then back to the solo.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Definitely Larry style playing, sounds super relaxed but deceptively tight with clever use of harmony and melody to infer chords. Great backing too, I would have no trouble believing this was direct from then. Wonderfully done Mats_Nermark !

• Wow. The intro pulled me right in. Beautiful song composition. I would be proud of that one. Instant hit. I agree with deadman42 except I would love to hear a cut to saxophone then back to the solo.

Thanks BT!

I am actually quite happy with this tune. I hear you about the saxophone but as I do everything my self and both space and budget constraint prevents me from getting loud acoustic instruments involved.

And, trust me, you do NOT want to hear me play saxophone. :D

Cheers,

Mats N

• Definitely Larry style playing, sounds super relaxed but deceptively tight with clever use of harmony and melody to infer chords. Great backing too, I would have no trouble believing this was direct from then. Wonderfully done Mats_Nermark !

Thanks Per, for your uplifting comment!

Maybe I exist in a musical time machine? ;)

Cheers,

Mats N

• Very well done!

Interesting arrangement and recording, top playing, great production quality. Was a pleasure to listen to! :)

Thank you, Harmonik!

I really enjoyed writing/recording this one.
    Glad you found it pleasant. I'm working along the old Avis slogan "We aim to please!"

Cheers,

Mats N