Liquid profiling detected

• I should take the time to relisten.

I do remember CK stating that the tonestacks will provide controls with different frequency centers. This implies a tonal change as the current TMBP controls will not replicate what the LP tonstack is capable of. That is not simply EQ limiting. We could discuss what an improvement in tone really means, but LP is different in that regard.

• It doesn't change the tone when selecting an amp model no. But it allows you to get eq curves you couldn't get any other way afterwards by using the knobs. Also it's not an EQ update only. The way the gain knob changes the sound will also be affected.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Edited 2 times, last by musicmad ().

• It will not be just about sound, Ona tactile point it will be nice. One thing with modelling is as much as we want to feel like a amp it does not. Your mind will process this new feel much more better as when your playing an amp. Dialing in sounds will feel much better, im looking forward to that in itself. I already try to treat my kemper like a amp, I mainly use DI profiles and have a valve powered kemp. Im looking forward to this just for the tactile feel. I requested the badcat hotcats tonestack with the EDGE knob. Oh man that would be great. A very very unique knob that one. Adds valve goodness, not a eq change.

• I should take the time to relisten.

I do remember CK stating that the tonestacks will provide controls with different frequency centers. This implies a tonal change as the current TMBP controls will not replicate what the LP tonstack is capable of.

The fact is no one has said tonal improvements. Implying is another way to say guessing.

The tone stack will be more accurate to the reference amp - yep. Is that ‘better’ tone? Meh.

Big stretch to say profiles will sound better IMO.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Two of the main 3rd party profilers didn't express much praise or excitement in the video focused on LP. That fact is revealing to me.

Of course not.

One, they already profile the amps (supposedly) at the settings where they think the amp sounds the best.

Two, the selling point of "I've profiled this amp to capture each sweet spot" is somewhat watered down if the idea is that you can get by with just ONE profile as long as it is "liquified". So a new selling point might be shifting toward more different mic positions, which is way more work.

I would argue that it can't be game changing if the tone is not improved.

I would argue otherwise. This is a game changer for me (provided that it works as advertised).

As far as the original video goes, what I noticed the most is that C Kemper himself seemed to argue that he didn't see the need for this, but it was done due to user requests. I really don't think he oversold it in any way.

• The fact is no one has said tonal improvements. Implying is another way to say guessing.

The tone stack will be more accurate to the reference amp - yep. Is that ‘better’ tone? Meh.

Big stretch to say profiles will sound better IMO.

I'm not expecting tones to sound better. Just a better process to get good tone. If I move a LP profile from 5.0 Gain to 6.0 Gain and it sounds worse then I least I can say "It's not me. It's the amp". Before I would say, "Well it's no longer the original profile".

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• "Well it's no longer the original profile".

This is the part I've *never* once cared about.

If the idea is to create good and unique sounds - who cares if it's 'accurate'? Does is sound good or not?

The one thing I do look forward to is the gain knob sounding better when increasing gain.

• Of course not.

One, they already profile the amps (supposedly) at the settings where they think the amp sounds the best.

Two, the selling point of "I've profiled this amp to capture each sweet spot" is somewhat watered down if the idea is that you can get by with just ONE profile as long as it is "liquified". So a new selling point might be shifting toward more different mic positions, which is way more work.

Not sure I agree. If LP provided any substantial improvement, salesmen would be leveraging it for more $. I can imagine it "For only $x.99 you can purchase the knob settings so that you too can achieve the unparalleled benefits of liquid profiling."

• The one thing I do look forward to is the gain knob sounding better when increasing gain.

That's just guessing. ;)

But you bring up another point that was omitted in the HW/Britt video. Did they adjust the gain to show how much better the gain knob will sound when increasing it? Maybe they just forgot the significant stuff? ^^

• Thomas dill had a video where he was doing how he dialed in Black hole Sun and really jacked the gain up with the liquid profile and it sounded really good. I would need to try it with the static profile as well to see how it might be improved though as a reference

• That's just guessing. ;)

But you bring up another point that was omitted in the HW/Britt video. Did they adjust the gain to show how much better the gain knob will sound when increasing it? Maybe they just forgot the significant stuff? ^^

I will have to go to back re-watch CKs video but I seem to recall that he said something to the effect that with LPs, the gain knob will react more like the real gain knob of the amp.

I hope my memory has not failed me here because that is what has me hoping that LP will be worth the wait.

• Ok so here is what I remember.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Around around 7:20 mark.

So I am with Ruefus when said he was looking forward to "the gain knob sounding better when increasing gain" based on what CK says in this video.

I hope this is true cuz if so then that effin' (and every other version of that word) ROCKS!

In my humble opinion.

I recommend watching what he says leading up to the timestamp I noted to get more context.

• CK also says something that I am not 100% clear on later in this video around 8:20 mark.

What he says makes me think that if you know or have not changed the original Gain value of a Kemper profile, it can be easily converted to a Liquid Profile. He says 'reference amp' though but then later he says it is possible for a 'model' that does not exist yet. So when he says 'reference amp,' I think he MIGHT mean profile? Dunno I sure hope so. If this is true as well then the # of amp profiles needed just went down.

I can 100% clearly see why 3rd party profilers would not be so gung ho about it. No market to sell LPs of existing profiles. Or new LPs might only be on profile per amp like I think Michael_dk mentioned.

Am I the only one who sees it this way or should I put down the crack pipe :)

• He says 'reference amp' though but then later he says it is possible for a 'model' that does not exist yet. So when he says 'reference amp,' I think he MIGHT mean profile?

I knew CK had said it, so thanks for finding it and saving me the time!!

Given that the tone stacks are modeled - I took his use of the term reference amp to indicate the type of tone stack. Meaning they modeled the tone stack of a Plexi, Twin, JCM 800, AC30 etc. These can be applied to any profile (like a Plexi tone stack on a Deluxe Reverb etc.).

That you can apply them to existing Profiles opens up all sorts of non-standard possibilities. :)

• I knew CK had said it, so thanks for finding it and saving me the time!!

Given that the tone stacks are modeled - I took his use of the term reference amp to indicate the type of tone stack. Meaning they modeled the tone stack of a Plexi, Twin, JCM 800, AC30 etc. These can be applied to any profile (like a Plexi tone stack on a Deluxe Reverb etc.).

That you can apply them to existing Profiles opens up all sorts of non-standard possibilities. :)

Oh I see now and I should have gotten that based on HW's response.

So when CK says that if you know the original Gain setting of the reference amp AND if there is a model of that amp's tone stack, do you think a LP can be easily created? If so, that is still pretty sweet to me.

I guess why I am asking is that even though I might have written down where the physical Gain knob was set to when the amp was profiled, how does that translate to the Gain setting in a profile? Doesn't the Kemper set the Gain knob of the profile when the Amp is profiled initially? This leads me back to 'if you know what the profile Gain was set to when profiled then all you should need at that point is a model of that amp's tone stack' to convert to a LP.

I have not done much profiling so I am not sure.

I guess I have to be patient like everyone else and 'wait and see. '

Edited 2 times, last by TheSystem ().

• Not sure I agree. If LP provided any substantial improvement, salesmen would be leveraging it for more $. I can imagine it "For only $x.99 you can purchase the knob settings so that you too can achieve the unparalleled benefits of liquid profiling."

I think this will quickly become an expected feature of profile packs. I think it kind of already may be expected. And in that case, such a business model would stick out like a sore thumb. Regardless, we can't judge the value of the feature by how profile sellers may or may not decide to operate.

• Not sure I agree. If LP provided any substantial improvement, salesmen would be leveraging it for more $. I can imagine it "For only $x.99 you can purchase the knob settings so that you too can achieve the unparalleled benefits of liquid profiling."

I totally see the idea coming to people's minds, and that's as petty as it gets IMO. I mean "We profiled the amp and wrote down the knob values. But we won't tell you unless you pay more."

Well.....how about you piss off?

Britt and TJ aren't going to be so petty. If someone else is, then it becomes a marketing point. "Liquid Profiles at no extra cost!!"