OS 10 beta is out! Let's get Liquid!

• I understand it the same way but I wouldn’t say it “brings nothing”. Applying LP to an old profile without the original settings will obviously not turn the old profile into an authentic version of the real amp. It will however introduce a whole range of tone shaping options which weren’t there before. The results may or may not sound good but there is nothing wrong with experimenting. I am sure some people will find killer sounds that they love this way.

Well, this might be.
    But for me, and I'm using and will still use "old" profiles in the future, the actual "hype" about Liquid Profiling is not appropriate.

• Confused me too. I think the purpose of the video was to show that the LP can indeed sound like another profile, profiled with other settings. But it didn't really show that either. Anyway, the manual has it right.

Yea i was thinking about it that it could just be they did the first one so they had something to compare it too with the second lp one.

• Concerning "old" profiles and Liquid profiles:

I got a reply of a Kemper Offical. And if I understood it the right way, you can only change an "old" profile to a liquid profile,

if you have the original settings of the amp when the the profile was done by it's author.
    If you don't have these settings, you cannot change the profile to a liquid profile and

so liquid profiling brings nothing (with "old" profiles), if you are not the author or have the original settings of the profiled amp.

That makes sense. How else will LQP know what the source profile is?

This doesn't render this incredible free tool useless, just not backward compatible in some cases.

• Well, this might be.
    But for me, and I'm using and will still use "old" profiles in the future, the actual "hype" about Liquid Profiling is not appropriate.

I disagree. From the outset, Kemper said to be faithful to the amp you need the original settings.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Is it that big of a deal? As long as it sounds good, it sounds good… I often don‘t even know which amp was profiled in the rigs I use. I only care for what they sound like. And for tone shaping I usually use a studio EQ in the x slot.

Best,

Andy

• Well, but if you use rigs from the Rigmanager or professional bought rigs, you'll never know the original settings.
    ;)

Some vendors used to sell profile sets with all the gain and tone control levels included in an accompanying document. I don't recall seeing this in recent years but I suspect that some of the early profile vendors anticipated this LP development would be coming a lot sooner as the possibility was canvassed by Kemper over a decade ago.

• Well, but if you use rigs from the Rigmanager or professional bought rigs, you'll never know the original settings.
    ;)

Nor has anyone in the last 12+ years had reason to think they needed to save them.

How is that Kemper's problem? Especially when it was a known requirement from the very first announement the made?

• Ok new stupid question by me. Does the volume on the ref amp have any significance here? Amps change with volume too even with everything else at noon. So when they say all knobs at noon, an manual just says eq at noon, is the vol important?

• I see Liquid profiles being intended more for those of us who actually profile our own amps.

Agreed. The fact it can be applied after-the-fact is a (seriously cool) bonus.

People are getting great results experimenting.

Is it ‘authentic’? No.

Neither was the first distorted guitar sound. It was a broken console channel. That sound was the analog version of inauthentic.

…and yet….

• just thinking about rig manager organising based on "gain".

I made a 6505 profile with gain at 5.

The kemper used to translate this as gain at about 8 but now with liquid the gain is actually on 5 like the amp.

So if I order by gain in rig manager, this will appear as about the same gain as a crunchy JCM 800 even though it is super high gain.

Different amps have very different amounts of gain at the same settings so it's going to be interesting :P

Actually just checked and the "Gain" in rig manager shows the amount of gain, not the gain control setting so all good =]

• Next big update should include the ability to "profile" your tone stack. Pick a knob start at noon, profile. Turn halfway up, profile. Full crank, profile. Halfway down, profile. All the way down, profile. For each knob/switch you have; so long as Kemper has that many available to you.

• I see Liquid profiles being intended more for those of us who actually profile our own amps.

I don't think so.

If this works well (I need to more testing) an amp pack that used to contain loads of different settings could be reduced to one good liquid profile per cab/mic and have more alternate mics or cabs for less time spent profiling.

I think LP profiles will benefit us all:

Use Case 1: Profiling your own amp

• No need to profile at numerous gain and tone positions; although you might still have a number of profiles using different cabs, mics and mic positions
    • Adjusting tone and gain of the LP profile is more authentic

Use Case 2: Commercial profiles

• Same benefits as Use Case 1, but everyone who buys the profile benefits not just the person who made the profile

Use Case 3: Converting a standard profile to LP - knowing the original settings of the profile

• Adjusting the tone and gain of the newly made profile is more authentic and you don't need to try so many profiles before finding the sound you need

Use Case 4: Bolting LP onto a standard profile - i.e. not knowing the original settings of the profile

• Not something I intend to do, but people seem to be experimenting

Of course, OS10 does not force anyone to use LP profiles, so if you're happy with the standard Studio and Merged profiles and sifting through packs of 20+ profiles to find the one or two that sound good to you instead of having just a few LP profiles in a pack (to cover different cabs/mics/mic positions) and using the tone and gain controls like you would on the amp itself, then no one's going to stop you.

Edit: mickrich beat me to it.

• I don't think so.

If this works well (I need to more testing) an amp pack that used to contain loads of different settings could be reduced to one good liquid profile per cab/mic and have more alternate mics or cabs for less time spent profiling.

Agreed 👍

• Ok new stupid question by me. Does the volume on the ref amp have any significance here? Amps change with volume too even with everything else at noon. So when they say all knobs at noon, an manual just says eq at noon, is the vol important?

Volume levels change the sound (tone) on anything. Your voice, TV, cellphone, radio, amps, etc.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Kemper makes PROFILERS not Profile-Players.

I know that even people who never owned a real amp can benefit from liquid profiles, especially if they know the amp settings of the original profile. If the original amp settings are not known, it's kind of hit and miss. For those of us who profile our own amps only one profile is needed instead of many snapshots at different settings.

"Faith don't need no second opinion"

• Kemper makes PROFILERS not Profile-Players.

I know that even people who never owned a real amp can benefit from liquid profiles, especially if they know the amp settings of the original profile. If the original amp settings are not known, it's kind of hit and miss. For those of us who profile our own amps only one profile is needed instead of many snapshots at different settings.

Have you tested liquid profiling yet ?

The EQ settings and gain of the profiled amp are saved with the profile so anyone who loads it will get the full benefit.

So my 6505 posted above for example, can be loaded and the profiled amp settings are loaded with the profile which can then be tweaked and react like the real amp.