Profiling an Amp you already have, but with DI and no cab

• I've seen videos on how to hook it up with the cab and the microphone and then letting the profiler work it's magic....

But what if you DON'T have a cab, and you've always just DI'd straight from the back of your Hughes and Kettner to your interface? Does it work the same way? So instead of plugging into a mic to pick up the sound, you just plug straight into the Redbox DI and it would achieve the same thing?

Just trying to decide of this Profiler is worth the money while I'm still in my return time window.

Thanks all!

• You can profile from the RedBox DI but it will include the speaker emulation which may not be as good or as versatile as the Kemper Cabinet options or external IR.

You could use the Line Out but this taps the signal before the H&K power amp so you won’t capture the whole sound. The power amp can be a significant portion of the overall tone.

Whatever you do make sure the H&K internal noise gate is bypassed when profiling.

• Official Post

So instead of plugging into a mic to pick up the sound, you just plug straight into the Redbox DI and it would achieve the same thing?

A speaker sim will always be a speaker sim, and even if (!) it sounds good - it's fixed.
    No chance of 'trying the other speaker', or using a different angle/position/distance or mic.

Given how important the SPEAKER part is in the overall sound of a PROFILE it hardly is an equally good alternative, perhaps more like a temporary solution?

• I still (by large) only use the profiles i made from my Marshall JMP1 preamp, that i made when i bought the kemper.

Those were taken directly from the “speaker emulator output”.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

• I still (by large) only use the profiles i made from my Marshall JMP1 preamp, that i made when i bought the kemper.

Those were taken directly from the “speaker emulator output”.

Interesting. Do you still use the speaker emulator out as the cabinet in Kemper or do you find the cabinet separation algorithm in the KPA good enough with these profiles to let you swap cabinets as part of the rig?

• Interesting. Do you still use the speaker emulator out as the cabinet in Kemper or do you find the cabinet separation algorithm in the KPA good enough with these profiles to let you swap cabinets as part of the rig?

I’ve been a “line out” guitarist for over 30 years as far as FOH goes. One of the very first (if not the first) in Denmark to go that route. For stage monitoring i used a cab loaded with two vintage 30 speakers. 15 years ago i began using in-ears but still often brought the cab.

When i changed to Kemper (and i only did that because my JMP1 rack system was showing signs of age) i profiled the sounds from the emulator out, because they sounded fantastic in the FOH, and really i wasn’t looking for a new sound.

So now i use an frfr cab so my stage sound is “like” the sound that i send to foh. I did a big shootout on what frfr to use, and ended up with a JBL MEX512M. It was miles better than everything else. Felt totally like my old guitar cab. I eventually bought two spares, so i should be covered for the rest of my professional life.

So yes, still using the profile of my emulated out into an frfr. Though sometimes i don’t even bring a cab (if the entire band is on in-ears).

I tried using my old guitar cab with the cab off seperation algorithm, just for the fun of it, but it didn’t sound anything as good as the full profile through the JBL.

This is the cab i play through: https://www.google.dk/imgres?i…urce=sh%2Fx%2Fim%2Fm4%2F3

Fun anecdote:(might have told it before). First time i played a tv gig with the JMP1 (on Danish national tv nonetheless) the sound mixer came with mikes. I said, “no just give me a linedriver and i’m good”. He utterly refused. After some persuation we agreed that if he didn’t like it after one minute of soundchecking, he could mike my cab. He never put them on, but instead he came to me and said that he never had an easier job with any guitarists sound. He just opened the channels, and didn’t even eq them. I felt totally vindicated haha. Nowadays playing line is so commonplace, back then it was unheard off here, and it was the same battle with any new soundguy i met.

Ofcourse my sound changed over the years with small tweaking, as my tastes changed, for cover gigs, i am more in John Mayer territory now. But still based on the same couple of profiles.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.