Steve Lukather - Rosanna

• I play a CE22 with P90s and I'm struggling with a couple of songs where I need a nice, full-on lead (and rhythm) tone. At the moment I'm using the Kemper Kirk Hammett rig with a Klon type pedal. Trouble is it soon turns to mush. Should I swap to a different rig or try another effect? I know P90s aren't really a 'metal' pickup but I never use anything lower than a drop D. FWIW, I use a PowerKab with the FOH via the desk and Yamaha active heads.

I've put Steve Lukather as a starting point for discussion but other suggestions welcome. I don't mind paying if someone can point me in the right direction.

• I'm not sure what you're referring to with the reference to Lukather. Rosanna doesn't have a full-on Kirk Hammett sound in it.

That said - have you tried one of the Kemper Drive's Horizon settings? One of that pedal's main uses is to tighten up higher gain amps.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Rosanna doesn't have a full-on Kirk Hammett sound in it.

I guess that's why I'm asking for advice. The guitarist in The Free Radicals has a stunning sound when covering the song too. I realise he'd probably sound good with a rubber band stretched across a shoe box. Where should I start amp-wise? Most of my rigs are either Tweed or AC30 based so I'm a bit out of my comfort zone.

That said - have you tried one of the Kemper Drive's Horizon settings? One of that pedal's main uses is to tighten up higher gain amps. I'll check it out.

• Steve lukater utilise souvent des di marzio transition en micro, et joue sur musicman ernie ball.

Personnellement j'ai cette guitare, mais j'utilise une les paul avec un custom bucker et ça lui va bien.

• Steve lukater utilise souvent des di marzio transition en micro, et joue sur musicman ernie ball.

Personnellement j'ai cette guitare, mais j'utilise une les paul avec un custom bucker et ça lui va bien.

Although he uses Music Man Luke with Di Marzio (previously EMG) nowadays, Rosanna was recorded with his 1959 Les Paul and a Marshall I believe.

• Although he uses Music Man Luke with Di Marzio (previously EMG) nowadays, Rosanna was recorded with his 1959 Les Paul and a Marshall I believe.

59 LP is right, but he used a Rivera-modified Deluxe Reverb for it (that later was commercialized as Stage 4)

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• In the link from Bakersounds there's a video link to Rosanna with just the guitar tracks. Note how much of the low end is missing. A great example of a tone that sounds great in the mix but would probably sound a bit too trebly by itself.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Note how much of the low end is missing. A great example of a tone that sounds great in the mix but would probably sound a bit too trebly by itself.

He probably sounded like that in the studio while tracking. Cutting bass or boosting the upper mids or even treble is usually done at mix-time when the mixing engineer has the complete picture of the track and knows, where he has to cut or boost.

Having said that, one thing every engineer does routinely is low-shelving at around 100Hz to make room for the bass and the kickdrum. You also often dip at 500Hz, to dial out the mud a bit.

I kew he used the Rivera moded Deluxe on the first two albums but I thought he had moved to the Marshalls by Toto IV.

I remember reading in an interview around the release of IV, that he used modded Marshalls, as most LA guys did back then. His were done by Rivera just like his Deluxe. After that he went to Boogie and a Mark III IIRC. The Les Paul parts in Rosanna sure sound very much like a Marshall to me. His crunch sound with the Deluxe from the first two albums was very different IMHO.

Another interesting thing at least to me was, that the Strat parts were actually done with a Valley Arts (the Robot guitar). For many years that sound was a prime example of an archetypical vintage Strat sound for me and in the end it was an 80s "Supers Strat" ;). Interesting is the use of delay and I also think I hear a bit of Chorus there. If so then it was the Dytronics Tri-Chorus which he was a vivid user then.

• I kew he used the Rivera moded Deluxe on the first two albums but I thought he had moved to the Marshalls by Toto IV. Every day's a school day :)

Yes. And I forgot how much chorus he used on leads back in the 80s! I love his playing, but the sound is horrendous.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• The outro to Rosanna is not horrendous tone. 🙂

he dont just too much chorus in that solo ,but for example the guitar solo on the Isolation song is too much,but i love Luke guitar playing

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• Yes. And I forgot how much chorus he used on leads back in the 80s! I love his playing, but the sound is horrendous.

Yes. I remember watching the Hot Licks (or maybe it was Star Licks) instructional video he did. Even just sitting on his own there was delay and chorus swimming around everywhere 🤢

• You guys are weird... haha

For me personally, Lukather's guitar sound from the concert in Paris in 1990 is the best he ever had.

Just my personal taste.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• You guys are weird... haha

For me personally, Lukather's guitar sound from the concert in Paris in 1990 is the best he ever had.

Just my personal taste.

well we are talking about the recording music no the live music,and yes for me the Paris 1990 tone is awesome

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio