How do you eliminate string squeak on Bass guitar?

• The setup is perfect for me. I did do additional takes on the track and used a de-esser and a second noise gate to squash most of the squeaks but I couldn't eliminate it completely. On the slide parts, I played them using more of the lower finger instead of just the fingertips, which helped some. It's just a demo mix for myself but it is frustrating when I only have the issue on bass but not on the guitars.

Bigger wound on the bass strings. Try some hand cream...no joke

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Are you using any or a lot of compression ? If so that will make the quiet sounds louder. If so, first shut that completely off to see if that's what it is.

Yes, the compression makes it louder but no way to get a even bass volume without compression. Using the de-esser at the specific frequency helps the best.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• there is a guitar denoiser in Izotope RX

I Have version 9 but Honestly I've never use it for this, I can not tell you if it works for You but.. I think so.

RX 10 Guitar De-noise
    RX includes Guitar De-noise, a quick and easy way to manage guitar-produced sounds that can interfere with your mix when affected with limiting or compression.…
    www.izotope.com

• Or don't :). It's only rock'n roll after all :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Yes, the compression makes it louder but no way to get a even bass volume without compression. Using the de-esser at the specific frequency helps the best.

It is possible to even out the bass volume without compression, but it takes highly developed technique. Of course, it is a grey area as perfect eveness is not possible. There are some very good players that refuse to use compression.

As an example, Jamerson utilized the one finger technique mainly for this reason. Fingering on one string or minimizing the number of strings used can help even things out as well, but it depends on the part.

• It is possible to even out the bass volume without compression, but it takes highly developed technique. Of course, it is a grey area as perfect eveness is not possible. There are some very good players that refuse to use compression.

As an example, Jamerson utilized the one finger technique mainly for this reason. Fingering on one string or minimizing the number of strings used can help even things out as well, but it depends on the part.

I mentioned it to rule it in or out. As in, Shut it off to see if the problem goes away, or if it's still there. Shut everything off one by one. it's the only way you can isolate the issue.

• Can you post a sample so we can hear it?

I used a de-esser plugin to squash some of it and the full mix help hide some. The main sliding starts at 0.32 seconds in. I'm still learning all this stuff. I don't practice bass. I just play when I make a mix.

Here is the processed bass stem

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here is the mix

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can you upload one without the deesser (but including the compression)?

Maybe also a sample without compression altogether. I suspect that you could get a long way with practicing more even playing and thus get away with less compression.

I don't hear as much of what I would call "finger squeaking" as expected from your description.

• Can you upload one without the deesser (but including the compression)?

Maybe also a sample without compression altogether. I suspect that you could get a long way with practicing more even playing and thus get away with less compression.

I don't hear as much of what I would call "finger squeaking" as expected from your description.

Here is without de-esser and noise filter. I do like this bass sound so I hope to improve on it.

• If that's okay then I won't complain. :) I thought that sound on the slides was not desirable. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I agree with GearJocke here. There may be a bit of squeak, but nothing egregious. To me, it just sounds like a bass :) there is a certain sound to bass that you don't hear much with guitars. This is present both during picking/plucking, hammer-ons and slides. I think it's what is called "clack" or "clackiness". It can help bass be more audible (sort of like the attack). Sometimes you want more, sometimes you want less.

My two cents based on the sound bites above - from when I listened to it earlier (please chime in, anybody who disagree!):

• Your bass signal (or rather, the "notes") seems a bit weak to me. It could be that you pluck or pick the strings a bit too softly. You shouldn't go overboard, but what my untrained ears hear/interpret is a very restrained pluck or pick, where the notes are not singing.. Since you especially notice the clack on slides (or are especially annoyed by it here), I think that may support my theory :)
    • Adding compression to the bass can enhance the clackiness - the more you can compensate by playing technique (even, singing notes), the less compression you need. And what compression you add will work WITH the part of the signal that you want to strengthen rather than work against it.
    • I think the tone of the guitars or the FX has a frequency clash with the clack of the bass, which makes the issue worse. And in that sense I agree that something should be changed. I think working on your bass technique as mentioned above (also my earlier point about more even picking/plucking) would help, but I also think that the guitar tone/FX should change a bit. A different bass tone with a bit less clack might also be part of the equation, but since you like the tone as it is, start with the technique and the guitar tone.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt, knowing that I'm not really a bass player (like you I play bass on my recordings, but that's it).

• I agree with michael-dk. You can low cut bass at 5khz. Bass don't need anything above usually. Well if you want a heavy distorted metal bass you might. Anyway, in this case the bass tone you chosen doesn't work very well with the guitars. Too similar. Also they clash frequense wise. If you have ever heard unprocessed commerical songs multitracks you can hear they all have their own sound. They sound good unprocessed already. That will make it easiser to mix too.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• There are two general electric bass setup approaches. One is very low action which requires softer string plucking and that results in less sustain. The other is higher action which allows for harder plucks and more sustain. These two scenarios are also kind of dictating how the amp/compression is setup. I am in the low action camp and like a hotter amp as a result. To get a smooth bass sound, I want less of a transient when plucking, more sustain from the amp/compression. This creates a smoother bass tone. I let the amp do the work not the string. My opinion is that most bass players in general hit the strings too hard and the result is not as pleasing. This is my opinion regarding fingestyle plucking.

Slapping is very different situation than what I am discussing. Also, many players just prefer a more aggressive right hand approach. Bass strings have always 'told' me to pluck lightly.

• Thank you all for the wonderful tips! I'm taking notes and hoping it translates into better bass tracks. I guess I know now why Paul McCartney was hesitant to pick one up. ... and then History was made. :)

• Thank you all for the wonderful tips! I'm taking notes and hoping it translates into better bass tracks. I guess I know now why Paul McCartney was hesitant to pick one up. ... and then History was made. :)

And give a listen to the slides on Come Together and She's So Heavy. Flatwounds...

• There are two general electric bass setup approaches. One is very low action which requires softer string plucking and that results in less sustain. The other is higher action which allows for harder plucks and more sustain. These two scenarios are also kind of dictating how the amp/compression is setup. I am in the low action camp and like a hotter amp as a result. To get a smooth bass sound, I want less of a transient when plucking, more sustain from the amp/compression. This creates a smoother bass tone. I let the amp do the work not the string. My opinion is that most bass players in general hit the strings too hard and the result is not as pleasing. This is my opinion regarding fingestyle plucking.

Slapping is very different situation than what I am discussing. Also, many players just prefer a more aggressive right hand approach. Bass strings have always 'told' me to pluck lightly.

What kind of music do youplay I wonder?

And what is your experience re. effect on the clackiness of the two approaches you mention?