about kemper player's tuner

• My apologies in advance if this sounds snarky.

The tuner is the *main* pitfall? This is a pedal-sized box meant for performing.

If you’re on stage and far enough out to not know where your guitar is…..something else has gone *way* wrong. It’s not a full-featured tuner. Neither is the one in the Head/Rack or Stage.

If you need to retune the entire instrument onstage, a dedicated pedal is a far better option. For restrings, I’ve found a $15 headstock tuner to be dead-simple and better than anything else.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Neither is the one in the Head/Rack or Stage.

I love the strobe tuner on my Toaster. It's so accurate I even use it to set intonation. I have a Peterson 450 strobe tuner that had been my workhorse for thirty years until I got my Kemper. That said, the tuner on the Player is adequate and those little clip on tuners do a great job. I'd use one if I was gigging with my Player. I have a Korg PitchHawk G2 that is excellent.

• One use for such a pedal would be to centralize the pedals.

(In fact, I think about half of the buyers are planning to use them that way.)

So I still think this tuner is not a good idea.

This problem can be solved by using a different tuner, though,

If that were the case, the Player should not have included this subtle tuner in the first place.

I like the Kemper Player and intend to make it my main equipment.

Therefore, I would like to see improvements to this flawed feature.

Do you think this tuner can be improved in the future?

(Do you think it is possible to use the LEDs on the Player to represent scales?)

• I love the strobe tuner on my Toaster. It's so accurate I even use it to set intonation. I have a Peterson 450 strobe tuner that had been my workhorse for thirty years until I got my Kemper. That said, the tuner on the Player is adequate and those little clip on tuners do a great job. I'd use one if I was gigging with my Player. I have a Korg PitchHawk G2 that is excellent.

I use the strobe on the Remote as well. It *is* great.

…but I can’t recall the last time I thought “what note am I tuning to?”

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I use the strobe on the Remote as well. It *is* great.

…but I can’t recall the last time I thought “what note am I tuning to?”

Just yesterday I picked up my SG which I hadn't played in a while. Strumming a chord it was a little out of tune across the strings but close. I hit the tuner on my Toaster and found that every string was about a half step flat. Had I been on my Player I might have tuned it all up a half step flat and never realized it until I queued up an mp3 to play along with. In a band situation I'd have noticed it right off.

• Why?

The tuner in the Head/Remote is as good as any pedal I have and acts as a kill switch too.

I'm talking pedalboard which usually means the amp is not in front of you to view. The same would go for a Player pedalboard. Even a fly rig is going to need a tuner.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

Edited 3 times, last by BayouTexan ().

• I'm talking pedalboard which usually means the amp is not in front of you to view. The same would go for a Player pedalboard. Even a fly rig is going to need a tuner.

Fair enough Larry, but the Stage and Remote (which many use with the head / rack) include the tuner and mute switch so even with the amp behind you there is still a visible tuner on the floor. I often see pedalboards with a Stage or Remote and another tuner. That just seems unnecessary to me but each to their own.

• Fair enough Larry, but the Stage and Remote (which many use with the head / rack) include the tuner and mute switch so even with the amp behind you there is still a visible tuner on the floor. I often see pedalboards with a Stage or Remote and another tuner. That just seems unnecessary to me but each to their own.

I agree Alan. I was thinking of the traditional pedalboard layout. If I only had a Player (or other with no screen) then I would definitely add a tuner pedal to it. The reason for needing a screen is because some of us detune a few cents. Three dots won't get it.

I also assume that most come from the analog world before going to Kemper and would already have a pedalboard with a tuner on it.

I'm not dissing on Kemper at all.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I guess the (extended) tuner is _ok_ but it would help if the manual explained what is was and how it worked, not everybody is uber smart about this stuff.

I find the always on one, to touchy and very hard to "lock in"