Running powered Kemper into Soldano Astro 20.

• Ok. Hopefully the Soldano will land tomorrow. My intention is to run the Kemper mainly for effects into the amp.

I also have acdistortion pedal and chorus de tune pedal.

Do I run Kemper into effects send return of the amp?

As both Kemper and amp are powered units I am very nervous about frying both or either unit.

Thank you in advance.

Jonathan

• Official Post

use the MAIN outputs or the MONITOR output, these are line level.

The (red) SPEAKER OUTPUT must only be connected to a guitar cabinet, a classic, passive one ;)

using the fx return will circumvent the preamp of the amp and put the signal directly to the power amp

if you want to use the PROFILER for fx only (?) go guitar -> amp input and then: fx send -> PROFILER in, PROFILER out -> fx return

• use the MAIN outputs or the MONITOR output, these are line level.

The (red) SPEAKER OUTPUT must only be connected to a guitar cabinet, a classic, passive one ;)

using the fx return will circumvent the preamp of the amp and put the signal directly to the power amp

if you want to use the PROFILER for fx only (?) go guitar -> amp input and then: fx send -> PROFILER in, PROFILER out -> fx return

Thank you so much Don.

May I take a photo and send it you tomorrow before I switch on?

The whole thing is a minefield to me.

Hi Don.

Ok I have hooked up as I think I understand. Guitar > Amp input. Fx send to ( I have tried both front of profiler in and return in ) then direct output send to amp fx return.

Yep I guess I made hash of it.

I have guitar signal but no effects?

Do I need to change anything within the Kemper meno or have I just made another idiot of myself?

Thanks Don.

Thank you so much Don.

May I take a photo and send it you tomorrow before I switch on?

The whole thing is a minefield to me.

• Official Post

if you want to use the Direct Output, check in the OUTPUT menu (long press on the OUTPUT button) what the Direct Output is set to.
    Most probably to DI Analog, since that's what it's intended for.
    Change this to Master Mono and make sure to disable the whole STACK.
    The fx loop is most likely post-preamp on the Soldano, so drive/dirt pedals in the PROFILER would be post preamp also, not really desirable.
    Meaning, 'only' other fx like modulation, delay and reverb make sense in this setup.

There is probably a way to go 'four cable method' but we should really get this working first ;)

hth

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Don.

One more question. Ok I have the send return working now. However if I wanted to run my chorus pedal as before and have it in the Kemper effects loop. Is there a way?

• Don.

One more question. Ok I have the send return working now. However if I wanted to run my chorus pedal as before and have it in the Kemper effects loop. Is there a way?

I'm sorry to interject here but I have to ask....why??? Why take an amp simulator ( pre amp) with a power amp and run it into a pre amp and power amp? Only for effects? Then why then try to link an external effect as well? You are going to end up running your chorus into the Kemper effects loop and the Kemper into the effects loop of the Soldano...

No wonder its not clear to set up...

Why not just profile the Soldano? Why not use the built in chorus? Just feels like you have a very expensive limited effects unit in the Kemper, which BTW I think will ultimately not sound as good with the additional cabling etc.

Each to their own, but....

• Totally understand where you are coming from. My base tone is the Soldano. The feel of the Soldano just simply can’t be captured. The eq options are huge.

I’m trying this to see if it will work otherwise I will keep the Kemper as I had it before and run the Soldano with a H90 etc.

• The feel of the Soldano just simply can’t be captured.

It can. And you would not be able to tell the difference between the two in a blind test. That's what it does. I can't tel you how many times I have heard people say they would be able to discern their favorite amp from a proper profile of it and could not.

• I have to agree with the others. I have a real soft spot for SOLDANOs. I’ve never played one in the flesh but the SLO is the only and that still gives me GAS. However, in your situation I would either ditch the Kemper and use the Soldano with a dedicated FX unit in the loop ( or 4CM). OR I would ditch the Soldano and go all in with the Kemper. The hybrid version sounds like the best of both worlds in theory but the reality is that is a kot of effort for a less then ideal outcome.

• I have to agree with the others. I have a real soft spot for SOLDANOs. I’ve never played one in the flesh but the SLO is the only and that still gives me GAS. However, in your situation I would either ditch the Kemper and use the Soldano with a dedicated FX unit in the loop ( or 4CM). OR I would ditch the Soldano and go all in with the Kemper. The hybrid version sounds like the best of both worlds in theory but the reality is that is a kot of effort for a less then ideal outcome.

Totally agree with what you are saying but I have both and I am simply experimenting. I’m not trying to disprove anyone. I just have a desire to try out what I have. In reality I will more than likely build a dedicated pedal board for the Soldano and leave the Kemper as I had it setup. I love the Kemper and yes maybe an A /. B test would probably be a challenge. Playing the Soldano though is a different experience entirely