How to figure out what Kemper preset was used in recording?

• Hey there,

I've recorded a few lines in one song, in Logic project. I then had to jump onto another project momentarily and record a solo in in another project. When I came back to the 1st project I was working on, I couldn't remember what preset I have used before and now I am struggling to find it, so that I can complete the record with the same tone :) Anyone ever had a similar confusion? Is there a way of finding out what preset I used?

• Before I record anything I make a local folder with the song name. Then copy the profile with a useful name like "Songx-verse-clean". Now you can go back 10 years from now and get the same tone.

• Before I record anything I make a local folder with the song name. Then copy the profile with a useful name like "Songx-verse-clean". Now you can go back 10 years from now and get the same tone.

Brilliant.

To the OP - there is no way to ‘go back’ and find what you used. Nothing in the Profiler tracks that.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• there's a user here called Damian who created a simple and clean plug in called Rig Name. ..or rig keeper.. I don't remember (ops)

You can drag n drop from rig manager and you keep trace of what sound has been used in that track.

Genial!

• I have developed the habit to add name of the profile and any specific settings in the notes part of my track inspector. As well as the guitar and pickup used on that particular track. Takes a moment but helps me often to remember which sound I was after and how I achieved it. Part of my learning journey "in the studio". And coming back to older projects I oftten listen and then look at those notes with "huh, wow, oh, yes that worked..." feeling 8)

• In cakewalk you can change the icon of each track so I use some pics of the guitar/bass recorded there.

I use the Note field to put some additional info about.. PUs, picks..

• Thank you loads guys, I kinda though I wont be the 1st one facing this and here we go, great help from the community. Will try the plugin but also will make sure I have the right routine in place. Cheerio!

• The good thing with saving local copies profiles is you have THE profile you used.

If you just reference it like "Mars-72_01", two weeks from now you have no guarantee you didnt change that profile. Maybe you play on headphones, monitors, practice, etc and you may adjust it for that scenario. Now you cant reproduce it on the song.

Playing at different volumes is also a thing. So you made the sound at low vol. Now a week later you are playing it loud and it sounds different, so you change it. Now your recording is borked.

I like ALL of the suggestions made so far. I would do ALL of them 8o