Feels like my Kemper profiles sound completely different compared to others

• Hi guys,

first of, I know that there are a lot of variables when it comes to comparing profiles.

I always had the feeling, that my Kemper profiles sound dull and thin compared to others. I'm using my Power Head for about 8 years now in various capacities. I tried a lot of modellers and software during that time, but I feel like the Kemper does get me the nearest to my sound.

The reason I'm thinking something is completely off, is when I'm trying paid profiles, or free profiles from Ola Englund for example, they sound nowhere near the demo, in an A/B comparison. It's not about some differences here and there, I mean night and day. The core essence of the sound is just vastly different, way less tight and "shiny". More like fizzy and sparkly. It also feels like, that changing the IR is getting me nowhere where I want it to be.

First example: For comparison, this is a snip of me with the OLA - Bug 3R RHY profile that Ola did back in the day. It's to be found in the Rig Manager, in the Ola Englund artist section.

OLA - Bug Area 3R RHY.wav
    Shared with Dropbox
    www.dropbox.com

This is Ola recently with the KP Player and that exact profile. His sound is vastly different to mine, even though his setup has most likely changed from back then.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Does it also sound that off for everybody else? It's to be found in the Rig Manager, in the Ola Englund artist section.

Second example: This is my go-to profile for my rhythm stuff. The good old tried and tested Peavey 6505 into a 4x12 Rectifier Cab. This is how it sounds for me: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi…s132bktf&st=z8erebgd&dl=0

For you to download that profile, for a direct comparison:

Mike 6505 Rhythm.krig
    Shared with Dropbox
    www.dropbox.com

These are just examples. Basically all my profiles for high gain rhythm do have the problem of them sounding dull for my ears, compared to other people. SinMix or ChopTone profiles behave the absolute same, when comparing them A/B.

Signal chain: Custom Mayones Regius Core 6 with Bareknuckle Ragnarok pickups -> Kemper Power Head -> Stereo TRX into Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen with activated "INST" line input -> DAW.

There are no global EQ settings on the Kemper, nor any post EQs in the DAW. The unit was factory reset right before these tests.

Does anyone have an idea, what I could possibly miss out?

Thanks,
    Mike

• Just a random thought, maybe you have global pure cabinet enabled? The global one, even if it's 0, affects the sound. You have to disable it completely, there is a soft button in the output menu I think.

• Pure cabinet is globally turned off.

I was less talking about exactly getting that sound Ola has in the video, just more so to distinguish his rig sound to mine. It does not sound that bad at all, I agree with that, but it demonstrates the lack of "life" and just the overall dull sound that I am experiencing that I can't seem to fix.

You can try out my profile that gets me the closest to what I want to sound to this day, but it's still too shallow in some regard for my ears. I would be interested if it's sounding the same for others, or if it's really down to my rig, cause I feel like something is just "globally" off for me.

• New
    • Official Post

Pure cabinet is globally turned off.

I was less talking about exactly getting that sound Ola has in the video, just more so to distinguish his rig sound to mine. It does not sound that bad at all, I agree with that, but it demonstrates the lack of "life" and just the overall dull sound that I am experiencing that I can't seem to fix.

You can try out my profile that gets me the closest to what I want to sound to this day, but it's still too shallow in some regard for my ears. I would be interested if it's sounding the same for others, or if it's really down to my rig, cause I feel like something is just "globally" off for me.

what about the inst/line issue?

RE: Feels like my Kemper profiles sound completely different compared to others

• activated the INST button on my interface as the signal would be too quiet

the inst button is to change the impedance of the input if you connect your guitar directly to the interface.

don´t connect your kemper with an xlr cable to the scarlett, as it will "think" you connected a microfon ( will distort your signal).

from the manual:

The Scarlett 2i2 has no “Mic/line” switch – the Focusrite preamp stage is automatically configured for a microphone when you plug an XLR into the input, and for a line or instrument when you connect a jack plug. Set the INST switch ON (‘INST’ illuminates red) if you are connecting musical instrument, e.g., a guitar in the example, using an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack. Set the INST switch to OFF if you are connecting a line level source such as a keyboard, synthesiser or the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the Combo connector accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug.

• I see. So I do have two TRS cables coming out of the XLR outputs of the Kemper, both 6.3mm jacks into the Scarlett 2i2, normally with INST on. So basically I do deactivate the INST switch and raise the general output level of the Kemper accordingly, correct?

• I think you forgot the main factor:

Your actual guitar!

Do you play the same guitar with the same PUs than the guys doing the demos of the profiles?

Heck, when I play a nice Marshall profile with my Les Paul and then swith over to my strat, I'm not going to sound like myself five minutes ago ;) And yes, that is really night and day then. The Kemper is still an amp after all, you need a guitar to make a sound ;)

• I'm not too sure about what the pickups in that specific guitar were, but if I recall correctly, Ola uses Seymour Duncan PUs quite a lot, so do I with my PRS 7 string (Seymour Duncan Scarlet/Scourge). The difference is still night and day, both PU sets are designed for tight high gains though.

• The other thing to remember is Ola is playing live. So his sound is being picked up by a mic and is probably running thru a compressor both for the Kemper directly and thru the mic.

So his:

- Guitar is different.

- Playing is different.

- Kemper tone is colored by the amp and speakers he is using being picked up by mics.

- Compressors.

- Slight reverb from room.

- Your pristine WAV file vs garbage YouTube compressed file.

High gain like this has very little low end because the low end can be twice as loud when you chug. He is picking up some low end thru his speakers and it is being compressed. This can add bass, fullness, and dynamics. He is also getting some bite/sizzle from the speakers.

Whenever I work high gain like this, the guitar is 90% of the sound. I would nail down his exact pickups.

I went down this rabbit hole with my Kemper also. Spent a year trying different things and finally gave up. Listened to V8Guitar and now I just play the thing. Dont worry about how close it sounds to some fairy tale sound :)

And I agree with Don, your sound is much better because it is missing all of the muddying things Olas recording has. And they still sound very similar to my (bad) ears.

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC

I started working on a VST myself. I have a THUMP parameter that adds a 150 Hz distorted EQ to add the fullness in Olas recordings. Playing live it sounds pretty good. The idea is to add that live bass and compression of a speaker and cab at volume.

Like you ,I felt my Kemper didnt sound like any recordings I heard so I came up with this as a possible fix. And to just make my VST sound more like an amp in the room.

As I said, live it sounds great. As BayouTexan will tell you, it probably sounds bad in a mix because you will have to lower your volume so much due to the giant bass peaks in the waveform. And I bet your sound is great in a mix, where Olas muddy compressed recording would sound bad.

EDIT:

I ran your WAVE thru my VST for giggles. I added THUMP (150Hz) and compression AFTER the THUMP. A touch of EQ to offset the THUMP. Sounds bigger.

So adding some low end to your sound and then running it thru some compression should get you closer to Olas video sound. IMHO.

NOTE: I am not trying to sell my VST garbage. It is not even ready for download yet. But getting closer everyday. The code and VST will be free on GitHub most likely.

• And strings and pup height matters too.

Think for yourself, or others will think for you wihout thinking of you

Henry David Thoreau

• Yeah, I'm absolutely aware that there are multiple factors altering the sound significantly, I'm just confused as to why the core essence of every sound I try to compare myself with, just sounds so vastly different.

And strings and pup height matters too.

Thanks for your effort! I think that he isn't mic'ing the sound of the Kemper in that video, it sounds as if he also just pushes his signal via Interface directly into his DAW. I could be wrong though.

Did you try out my own profile from my first post by chance? I used a high pass filter to get rid of all the rumbly low end frequencies to tighten the sound. The 6505 is sounded pretty compressed with a tube screamer in front by default, so I wasn't playing around with a compressor in the signal chain too much. I'm also trying to get the native sound of my Kemper as good as possible, to cover any scenarios where I'm not playing into my DAW post EQ's - for live purposes etc.

There is also a huge difference when using my Mayones 6-string vs my PRS 7-string guitar (tuned to Drop F#). Playing low tunings with relatively thin string gauges is a huge pain for me to correctly dialing in. It's very hard to get the right gain level in terms of needed saturation vs tightness. Also the mid range is incredibly difficult for me to properly equalize, without having a too scooped sound.

• Thanks for your effort! I think that he isn't mic'ing the sound of the Kemper in that video, it sounds as if he also just pushes his signal via Interface directly into his DAW. I could be wrong though.

Did you try out my own profile from my first post by chance?

I was trying to point out the Kemper is probably bleeding into his vocal mic. So you are hearing a mix of dry kemper sound and room sound coming in thru the mic.

The mic is most likely compressed. And the Kemper may actually be compressed so that when he switches sound in the video the volume doesnt jump all over.

Its all a guessing game comparing to the vids.

I have not tried your profile, my ears are pretty bad and I would not be of much help there. I actually have not touched my Kemper in a long time because I started writing this crazy VST thing and it was going so well it started consuming my every moment.

Best of luck on your journey. I dont think your sound is as far off as you think it is. But like I said, my ears are trash.

• if you aren't literally in the room with them, you're hearing what the source controls and wants you to hear as a finished product. any inconsistencies or faults you find when you plug into them can be explained away with your environment and equipment. when using other people's rigs or presets, you need to tweak them to your taste. they will never be a load-and-eureka-perfect-sound compared to what they demonstrate. you'll get close but there's way too many factors you have to compensate for especially if the goal is pure emulation and not the search for your own sound.

"No socks? No problem."