Posts by Mats_Nermark

Thanks for posting Mats!!
    that nails it. which delay and or reverb do you use?
    Steven

Hi Steven,

Wow, you've already tried it. Very cool and I'm glad it works for you. If it makes as much difference to you having this sound as it does to me, I'm happy I could share.

Delay is tap delay with 39% mix, 14.1% feedback.
    Reverb is Hall with 24% mix, +15 balance, 6.2 time and 7.0 damping.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Mike and I have discussed what profile I used on "In No Time" that has been discussed here and elsewhere. We have found it to be the "Dumble N 3-2" which is included in Mike's Profile Pack 2.

My tweaks to the rig are as follows:
    Graphc EQ in Stomp D with 80HZ = -6,6dB and 160Hz = -3,6. The rst is flat.
    Gain = 6.1
    Amp Definition = 6.9, Power Sagging = 2.1, Compressor = 1.2, Clarity = 2.9, Tube Shape = 3.3. The rest is at 0.
    EQ: Bass = -3.2, Middle = +1,3, Treble = -0.8, Presence = -1.2
    Cabinet: Low Shift = -0.7, Character: -3.0. The rest at 0.

The key to getting this sound right (as I hear it), is to work with the guitar volume and play the dynamics with your pick.

Here's the tune for reference:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Mike and I have discussed what profile I used on "In No Time" that has been discussed here and elsewhere. We have found it to be the "Dumble N 3-2" which is included in Mike's Profile Pack 2.

My tweaks to the rig are as follows:
    Graphc EQ in Stomp D with 80HZ = -6,6dB and 160Hz = -3,6. The rst is flat.
    Gain = 6.1
    Amp Definition = 6.9, Power Sagging = 2.1, Compressor = 1.2, Clarity = 2.9, Tube Shape = 3.3. The rest is at 0.
    EQ: Bass = -3.2, Middle = +1,3, Treble = -0.8, Presence = -1.2
    Cabinet: Low Shift = -0.7, Character: -3.0. The rest at 0.

The key to getting this sound right (as I hear it), is to work with the guitar volume and play the dynamics with your pick.

Here's the tune for reference:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Cheers,

Mats N

Was this slight or several led's? The reason I ask is that the gain control on the Kemper would be different than the amp unless they by happenstance follow the same gain structure. Since I am mostly interested in the Dumble/Dumble clones this is of interest to me. Thanks.

I'm not Mike but as I'm somewhat involved I'll chime in.
    I went both ways with the gain on the Dumble profile I used for my tunes/clips and lowered the gain a bit for my Carlton style tune and increased a bit for the Robben Ford tune. Not by much. I'll try to find out.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Gianfranco
    Well obviously that is true but the Dumble amp has a OD and a Boost switch. If the boost switch is engaged you get a completely different tone cause it shuts down the Tone stack. It also gives more distortion. So It's a question of how THIS profile was made. With the boost on or off.

Yup, the ODS is a strange beast and quirky to boot.

Cheers,

Mats N

I have a another question about the Dumble Profiles (sorry). When I listen to Mats Nermarks clips the sound comes a lot closer to the "not so distorted" Robben Ford/Larry Carlton tone. When I listen to Michaels clips they sound is a lot more distorted (saturated? Don't know if that's the right word). Is it the same profile? I do like Mats' tone a lot and I'm not that interested in a very distorted Dumble tone. I used to own a Ceritone but never got the tone I was looking for. I switched to Kemper and love it. I still haven't found a good Robben Ford tone. So I was looking forward to this. But not sure if this pack is for me.

Hi Steven,

I think I know what you mean and I think I got the rig fairly close to what that is. I'm not sure as I write, exactly which of Mike's profiles I used for that rig that I made the recording with but when my present recording project is done I will try to find out. If that profile is in Mike's Pack 2, then if Mike approves, I will post my tweaks here so you can get the sound I have.

Cheers,

Mats N

BTW, the clean Dumble profile I'm working on is taking unexpected turns. The profile was loaded when I truned på KPA on for a pop session with my Tyler and I knew I was going for an 80s style huge chord rhythm sound. I was going to select an altogether differen rig but felt at once that this profile was a perfect fit for the tune if I put some "shmo" on it. So I put my Tri Stereochorus emulation preset after the profile and some serious compression and eq in front and, voila, there it was. Funny as I always considered the Dumble ODS to be an amp for HB guitars.

I was so happy with that rig, I wanted to write a new tune with it. Working on the tune now. Dumble clean for rhythm and most probably Mike's Bletchley Bomber from his first pack for lead.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi Mats

I listened carefully to the tracks you've recorded and as mentioned before the sound I hear on tracks 1 and 4 is really impressive as Larry Carlton looks like the late 80's.
    Seems to be registered with 2 different guitars, in track 1 seems almost the same sound that Larry was out of the Valley Arts he used at that time, will be due to the way and maybe you'd use phrases that make it look like more "equal" Larry's sound . Congratulations again and I am really looking forward to having this package.
    PS
    Can you tell me what guitars did you use, just out of curiosity! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hi Railit,

Thanks for lending your ears to this. I was indeed trying to get close to Larry Carlton's sound.
    Regarding guitars I know I used a Collings City Limits for In No Time and I fairly sure I used the same one for 15 Years Later.

Cheers,

Mats N

cheers guys, the strat fires up quite well with that profile. It's a maple neck too which adds a bit more bite. It took me about ten attempts at the solos to be happy with what I had as its a long piece and its hard not to be too repetitive but I'm happy with where I got to with it for now.

I'd be proud if I could play a solo like that. Stand tall!

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Since day one, I've been hunting clean rigs on the KPA that works with single coils. For chords and 80's cleans I've been successful but it's been impossible to find a good warm fat and articulate profile for a vintage type sound. Especially for single string playing.

Most clean profiles sound ”plinky” and weak, especially on the first two strings. If you try to tweak them for powerful thin strings they totally fart out on the 5th and 6th strings.

Then I started getting into Michael Britt's clean profiles and they delicer what I want. Articulate and warm without being flubby on the wound strings. So much fun to play and very touch dynamic. I just finished recording a new tune with a 3rd Power Dreamweaver Blackface profile from his first pack as I was so inspired.

Cheers,

Mats N

Hi,

Since day one, I've been hunting clean rigs on the KPA that works with single coils. For chords and 80's cleans I've been successful but it's been impossible to find a good warm fat and articulate profile for a vintage type sound. Especially for single string playing.

Most clean profiles sound ”plinky” and weak, especially on the first two strings. If you try to tweak them for powerful thin strings they totally fart out on the 5th and 6th strings.

Then I started getting into Michael Britt's clean profiles and they deliver what I want. Articulate and warm without being flubby on the wound strings. So much fun to play and very touch dynamic. I just finished recording a new tune with a 3rd Power Dreamweaver Blackface profile from his first pack as I was so inspired.

https://soundcloud.com/bt-king/portable-food-141030

Cheers,

Mats N