Posts by Desiato

I really like the fact that the rig settings go back to original when you hit that rig midi switch. It allows for some great flexibility.

I would not want a tempo common to all slots of a performance. That is too stifling.

Thanks Mr. Kemper!

Welcome back!

I made the same journey you did. I got my Kemper about 18 months ago, and I sold it and went through several tube amps. But now that I am back, I am so glad to be here. The KPA sounds amazing, and I have all my old amps (profiles) back, and it's great!

I don't know of any profiles of PRS amps. But I'm not surprised. I don't think they really offer anything unique tone-wise.

Now, before I create a flame situation, you should know I am a HUGE PRS fan. I think their guitars exceed any other big company's guitars, even their custom shop. I met Paul a few weeks ago at a clinic he did at Motor City Guitar in the Detroit area. I love his guitars (I play them exclusively), and while some of his USA line of amps can sound very good, they are really reminiscent of good old Marshall amps. That's not a bad thing - it's just not unique.

A well-made set of profiles from a great vintage Marshall JMP should cover most of what you could get from a PRS amp.

Although I understand that it's not really pleasant to think of the KPA turning its volume to zero or to half the volume, there's no need to panick. This has been reported several times before and so far it hasn't stirred up much attention among other users. Also this happens relatively scarcely. I have only had this once every three or four months or so - so keep cool. Also the (new?) soft button solution is an easy way out of the trap in a live situation.

I'm sorry, but even using the numbers you state, that's completely unacceptable for professional gigging equipment. Your amp going silent onstage during a show is pretty much the definition of why you would panic about gear.

And the soft button solution only works in SOME of the reported incidents. Not all of them. And even if it did, it still wouldn't be acceptable. This is supposed to be pro gear.

Good description. I'm sure it was just a typo, but Performance Mode has 25 banks, not 125.

Also, once you get in Performance mode, you choose the slot you want your profile to be in by moving the highlight via the left or right "Rig" button on the lower right side of the KPA. Once you choose the slot location in the proper bank, use the Browse knob to find the rig you want to save, then press the Store button several times (pausing at each screen to make sure everything is correct). Once it's saved, you're done.

Wow, this is scary bad news for gigging musicians with the KPA (and I'm one of them).

I had this happen to me at home, but I assumed it was because I was scrolling through profiles too fast.

Please, please, PLEASE fix this Mr. Kemper. I have a gig this weekend and I'm a little afraid to use my KPA for the show.

My real tube amp and preamps do this "quacky wah wah" sound, which i a few words is what my tone chase is all about. You will find that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are fans of the aforementioned quacky tone (no, they don't use a wah all the time), which is produced by multiple gain stages and tone shaping circuits. It also takes careful adjustment of the amp and pedals so the rig will respond like this to picking dynamics.

The Kemper is the ONLY device that I know of capable of reproducing this behavior, which IMHO places it at the top of the modeling/profiling food chain.

So this isn't a defect, it's a feature - and a quite awesome one at that.

I agree, unless it's too much of a good thing. Then it starts to sound like a cocked wah, which can be fatiguing to hear, imo.

I have mentioned this several times in different threads and using slightly different words. But I am a 100 % with you. Although the definition parameter is a very nice option, it can easily be exaggerated and result in a tone that might first be tempting, but then - after a while - I come to realise that it has to be used very carefully (at least if your goal is to get a "natural" sounding guitar amp sound).

I wholeheartedly concur.

It's like using a wah wah - it sounds great, and it cuts through the mix, but after awhile you need to back off all those mids.