Kemper users who also own an AxeFx II

• Interaction...emulation....whatever.

I say, if it sounds good, it IS good. And they both sound GREAT to me. :)

But if you derive pleasure from scientific analysis of the process...have at it. I'll be in the studio playing my Majesty through both :thumbup:

Hi LasVideo, when you talk about Majesty, do you talk about the Musicman guitar ? If yes, how does it feel/sound ?

But if you derive pleasure from scientific analysis of the process...have at it. I'll be in the studio playing my Majesty through both :thumbup:

No need to feel attached in any way. And yes, I can derive pleasure from different things :)

• Hi LasVideo, when you talk about Majesty, do you talk about the Musicman guitar ? If yes, how does it feel/sound ?

Hi djemass, Yes, I do mean the wonderful new guitar from Musicman. Its the first of their brand I have owned. I LOVE its playability (fast slim neck with high fret access) and sonic qualities (DiMarzio Illuminators). At first I didnt care for how it looked in photos. But holding it here in my hands.... its a black, sleek, sexy design that is a thing of beauty. :) Bottom line...I cant stop playing this thing . :D

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mu…y-g27220t0.gc?icid=401388

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• Hi djemass, Yes, I do mean the wonderful new guitar from Musicman. Its the first of their brand I have owned. I LOVE its playability (fast slim neck with high fret access) and sonic qualities (DiMarzio Illuminators). At first I didnt care for how it looked in photos. But holding it here in my hands.... its a black, sleek, sexy design that is a thing of beauty. :) Bottom line...I cant stop playing this thing . :D

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Mu…y-g27220t0.gc?icid=401388

You are a very very lucky man !! ;)

• Fact is, that the last time I checked there was no interaction at all in the Axe. IRs and power amps are coming from different sources, so any eventual interaction is just emulated.

On the contrary, in the Profiler the interaction is not emulated at all, it is profiled at the source so it's "all original" :)

Tone matching has nothing to do with dynamic power amp/cab impedance interaction, BTW :)

I think you're completely right about this, Gianfranco, and you ask the right questions.
    And only because people like Lasvideo are not willing to step into some constructive discussion doesn't devaluate what you are writing and asking.

Another sad example for your inability to take part in a constructive discussion.
    Again, your comment about an intelligent question by Gianfranco comes over as rude and, excuse me, dumb.

• My my. Someone is extremely sensitive and hostile to subtle humor. Some doctors take themselves way to seriously. Note to Ingolf...heal thyself .

And another one bites the dust. See ya.

• On the contrary, in the Profiler the interaction is not emulated at all, it is profiled at the source so it's "all original"

I don't know how the profiling is implemented but I've always thought about it as a process to determine some parameters to apply to an existing model or models. So, the interaction is part of the model and fine tuned during the profiling process. Maybe i'm wrong :P

I'd like to know about the implementation of this interaction in the Axe. I'm not going to buy one because I have all I need between my KPA and my analog equipment, but I'd like to know.

By the way, the Axe Tone Matching is just an eq matching, isn't it?

• Sorry, this doesnt translate into a phrase in English that I can understand . ?(

I dont mean to step on activities you enjoy doing, but sometimes I think people over analyze things . :)

Oos, I typoed... I meant there's no need for you to feel attacked.

pacocito, the Profiler sends the amp signals sweeping both in amplitude and frequency. So any variation of impedance (hence different filterings and a sagging curve) is perfectly captured.
    Eng. kemper wrote a post a good bit ago about the matter.
    Capturing the dynamic interaction between the power section and the cab is one of the outstanding peculiarities of the Profiler, Vs. a generic power amp modelled with no load to work on (or with a generic load) + a generic IR shot in a different situation.
    HTH

• You are a very very lucky man !! ;)

Ya know, I do feel honored to have access to this fine instrument.

So much so Ive started to take lessons from a young talented guy. I want to build upon my rock/blues background and expand into new techniques that didnt exist when I started playing the guitar 45 years ago. Like tremolo picking, sweeping, tapping and generally using more then the pentatonic scales to improvise with. Its amazing where inspiration can come from :)

• I think the next best thing about the Kemper is already on the way in mad professor Kemper's secret laboratory.

Something to do with better separation of cabinet and amplifier during profiling, which might have something to do with "summing" a DI profile and a miked up cab profile. This would greatly impact the changes if you switch cabinets on a profile, which is not 100% right now due to a part of the original amplifier being buried in the cabs.

Somewhere, very close, or very far away, right now, Mr CK is saying, "Muwahahahahaha!" ^^

• I would like to know who of you also own an AxeFx II so we can share impressions, thoughts, ideas, conclusions, etc.I think is great if you can have both units, it doesn't have to be a gear competition and choose wich one is best and get rid of the other unit.

Haven't read thru the entire thread, so sorry if I'm repeating somebody else here.

I own both and have done so for a couple of years (the Axe longer than the KPA). I really like both units, but for different things. You mention the fx; the Axe has more, more parametres etc., but the ones in the KPA are really good and tend to give me what I want. Both have stellar tone, but they approach things differently, yielding different results, imho. The big change for me came when I made my own profiles; I profiled my Friedman BE and my old JCM 2000 with really great results. This made me listen to my own amps differently, expecting different sounds from both the KPA and the AXE .

Close listening, when you work for hours in a studio thru monitors, you (that is, I) tend to go deaf for certain aspects of the guitar tone, feel, etc. But especially when recording and listening to the guitar tone in context, and equally when playing live when everything is loud and cookin', I slightly prefer the KPA these days, due to what I learned when listening to the real amp closely when profiling. There's something in the guitar tone that I tend to dial out in the Axe just because I can, e.g. some high mids that might sound harsh listening to it for hours out of context but still is a vital part of the sound of a blasting Marshall. The Axe, the way I dial it, tends to sound "nicer" and the KPA is "rawer," more crude or rough, but that's the qualities of the amp that I tend to forget in a world of high end flat response monitors and that are important parts of the actual amp tone the way we are used to hearing it. I have a harder time reproducing this with the Axe, but I'm sure that's me and my approach or lack of knowledge. But I think that's what is referred to when you hear people talking about the KPA sounding more natural etc. This is something I've felt all thru all FW versions on the Axe; it keeps getting better, but there's something with the KPA approach that yields results that I really like.

Also, there's something with the touch, feel, dynamics that I slightly prefer in the KPA over the AXE.

Now, can we just get that friggin' floor board from Kemper ;) Im destroying the flimsy Behringer plastic boards on a monthly basis, almost ;)

• Well, finally after some crazy days at my job, I´ve been able to get some time to A/B the Axe FX II with the Kemper.

I´ve just played a couple hours, but my firt conclusions are:

- Amp tone / dynamics have really improved since Firmware 7 (last time I had the Axe II)

- Now is more difficult to say: The Kemper is way better in amp tones /raw tone / response / dynamics / amp in the room sound.I still think is a little more...."realistic", have to make some more comparisons, but, since Firmware 7, the Axe has got closer to the Kemper wonderful tones.

- The effects are AMAZING at the Axe...I love big reverbs / multidelays / pitch etc for some songs, and the Axe is far superior to the Kemper doing that trick.In more "processed" presets, the Axe has wonderful sounds inside.

- You can get a little crazy with the amp block / cab IR in the Axe....thousands of combinations, I don´t know if that is "good", I guess it is as far as you got the sound you´re after and don´t lose your mind tweaking and not playing.The Kemper is more simple, instant good tones with no cab tweaking.

- I guess I´m gonna keep both unts as I said, as both delivers wonderful tones.When the Axe was in Firm 7 I couldn´t justify to keep the Axe just for the effects, now I couldn´t sell the Axe because I know there are very good tones that I couldn´t get with the Kemper (and viceversa).For example, the Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza in teh Axe are just INSANE if you love the Metallica tone, and I couldn´t live without some of Andy´s `profiles....why not have both???

- Now I have a problem...wich unit do I to turn ON / wich one use live / wich one for recording.....you can REALLY LOSE YOUR MIND tweaking and finding excellent tones in both units, no kidding, you really got to make your mind and say "OK, no more tweaking, I need THIS and I´m gonna chose this unit and this preset / profile for this concrete work"

- I guess I´ll continue with the Kemper for playing live, as long as I only need 3 or 4 tones that the Kemper really nails and don´t need a lot of effects / different for each song, but who knows, maybe in a near future I could change mi mind.

Proud Kemper+Axe FX II user.....yes, you can hook'em together, they WON'T explode.

• Solution - Profile the Metalica patches from the AxeFX with the Kemper.

Or just turn them both on and have the Axe in the loop of the Kemper or Kemper in the loop of the Axe.

• - Now is more difficult to say: The Kemper is way better in amp tones /raw tone / response / dynamics / amp in the room sound.I still think is a little more...."realistic", have to make some more comparisons, but, since Firmware 7, the Axe has got closer to the Kemper wonderful tones.

Taste is taste, of course :) But the way I see this is that the only meaningful test you can do is to profile an amp with the Profiler, and tweak the same amp with the Axe. Then record all the three units by reamping the same track for the digital ones, and in a blind test check which of the two sounds closer to the amp.
    :)

• I do not agree with that....why should be "better" a tone because is closer to the tone of this or that amp.????

If you do the test you comment, you could say that the Kemper or the Axe are better "replicators" of a determined tone in a determined amp (I'm sure the Kemper is better for that hands off), but what about if you want a tone that is not from an amp you know, or want to blend two differents emulations????

You can only do that with the Axe..and I don't necessary says that is better or is a better tone than the tone that you can get with the Kemper...just another tool for playing and express your music.

What sound better to yours ears????? That's a matter of taste, of course, but the Axe can deliver amazing tones that are not profiles or copy of an amp.....love both things, having profiles of amazong amps and getting tones that you couldn't even achieve with an amp.

Proud Kemper+Axe FX II user.....yes, you can hook'em together, they WON'T explode.

• - I guess I´m gonna keep both unts as I said, as both delivers wonderful tones.When the Axe was in Firm 7 I couldn´t justify to keep the Axe just for the effects, now I couldn´t sell the Axe because I know there are very good tones that I couldn´t get with the Kemper (and viceversa).For example, the Metallica tonematches/patches extravaganza in teh Axe are just INSANE if you love the Metallica tone, and I couldn´t live without some of Andy´s `profiles....why not have both???

I was actually going to profile a bunch of the metallica/mesuggah tonematches but when I tried them was underwhelmed :( (more so with metallica ones)

The was another guy that did something like that earlier and did a much better job but it was on earlier FW

The australian guys in that studio didn't do a great job either

a large percent of the time they don't have enough gain and suffer from some nasty frequencies or strange flanging/hollow sounds

• I see where you're coming from. I was referring to your

The Kemper is way better in amp tones /raw tone / response / dynamics / amp in the room sound.I still think is a little more...."realistic"

Clearly this implies a comparison with the real amps. Not necessarily the ability to copy the exact sound, but chasing a credible and organic sound. Better maybe rephrasing my last sentence: "see which one sounds more like an amp".
    There are lots of different "amp sounds" in the world, and IME when a player says "sounds like a real amp" they just mean "sounds the way I like a tube amp to sound".
    So I ultimately think you might rephrase your "better" with "more to my taste" as well :)

Please don't feel attacked, I'm just writing for the sake of discussion, and I have nothing against anyone preferring the AFX over the Profiler :)

Peace and Axes