Hey Kemper ..... *seriously* how far off is the next Firmware Update ....." .... throw us a freak'in bone at least :) .... "

• In all seriousness, this isn't a $100 stomp box ...... the " other " company is very open about alpha / beta etc.... firmware updates.

Given that this is one of, if not the longest break between firmwares, and there is no shortage of issues / requests that have been requested for a *long* time, surely Kemper can " throw us a freak'in bone " and at the very least tell us if a new F/W is days off, weeks off or months off ?

Kemper has a great product and seems to be a genuinely excellent company but on this issue of FW updates regular open and transparent communication is quite lacking ..... that might have been OK in 2005, but not in 2015 .......

So ...... how about some real / genuine info acutally from Kemper that isn't just " a new FW will come when its ready ".

Ben

• @benefin

Seriously my friend.Haveyou ever thought about "the other side of the coin" which are the musicians like me;The main reason I bought the Kemper was because it sounded "best of all" ie digital modeling.The second reason because of the ability to profile my amps.

But there is also a third reason I prefered the Kemper and not the Axe Fx:The "politics" of the company.Keeping seriously complex and difficult issues as simple as possible.I must not worry to have "missed something" after being "off" for some weeks.

I am just a few weeks here in this forum.Still trying to learn,still trying to get used to this "new way of thinking".For me personally one major FW-upgrade every six months or even once a year is enough.Playing my guitar is far more important than studying new firmwares.I would even dare that this is the reason most of us here bought the KPA and not the Axe Fx.

• I understand and take your point however I'm sure that Kemper can " walk and chew gum " at the same time.

Surely Kemper can keep its loyal customers who have spend serious $$ up-to-date with what is happening / planned / coming and the respective timeframes re: FW updates.

Honestly, this really isn'ta big ask in 2015

Ben

• Meh.

Timelines always shift around, as do priorities - often due to unforeseen circumstances, sometimes for business reasons that are just as relevant (or can be). It'll just open the door for a lot of complaining. "You PROMISED you'd have a new firmware ready by now", "you PROMISED you'd add THIS feature next", bla bla bla. I can understand why they keep tight-lipped.

• I hear you my friend.Let me put it different(and no offence to anyone):

I did not spent 1600 euros (as a musician in a crisis-loaded south european country) i just "dont have" to get a "nerd-machine" to make fancy show of my latest 8-finger tapping I recorded in a bedroom for the nerd-community of this (guitar-) world.Dont get me wrong.I like that.Many of my students do this and I really love them all.

But I need a tool.To replace my precious tube amps in more and more difficult getting work environment (playing very often as silent as possible without loosing all my fun) in which club-owners,police etc give a f*** about firmwares.I need fast and good results.Every new FW which urges me to "re-programe" or to "undo" things every few weeks would lead me to the decision to sell any digital device I bought to make things more simple.And not more difficult.

Again.No offence to anyone.We all are supposed to have fun with music.Just some of us also try to feed them selves with making it.

Greetings

• That was one of the main reasons I moved on from the AFX was the firmware updates :D

At least the Kemper ones don't mess with the sound of the profiles....saying that xmas can never come to soon!

• For me personally the Axe Fx is a total nerd-machine.Mostly designed for metal and thrash.Sounds good but I did not heard any really good vintage amp in this machine.Most of the sounds are too highly processed for this.Good for the "show off" in youtube but nothing I could use.

Anyway.I would be happy if the guitar-kids today would care as much for their phrasing,vibrato,bending and improvising as they do for upgrades,firmwares and youtube-posing with 20-finger tapping.Sorry for sounding like an old fart.

• Threads comparing the way Kemper runs their company vs. how Fractal run their company are getting incredibly boring. Always comes off as if people are threatening to jump ship... kinda childish. :sleeping:

Then saying that because you spent X amount of money on a product you are entitled to know whats going on and get to the second updates is ridiculous. :huh:

Would I like updates about what's going on behind closed doors, hell yeah! Would I push the subject like if I DESERVE to know? Nah.

I'm sure Kemper read these threads and choose not to divulge information, it's their right. No need to get all worked up about it.

• I gotta say that OP has a point. You look at the firmware release schedule, and this has been a long time. My trigger finger is anxious for some updates. But, that said, I'd rather wait a little longer than have software filled with bugs.

You mention companies are forthright about upcoming releases though? Okay. Well, when Microsoft announces a new version of their OS, or Apple does the same, it's still months off, but the major version bump happens, at most, once a year. The reason they announce things is for marketing hype and to get users excited. However, there are two BIG differences between an OS X release and a Kemper release - device compatibility and competition.

Device Compatibility - The Kemper has to perform on one platform. One type of hardware. One display. One keyboard (think of the front panel buttons as a keyboard). The I/O is identical, save for the power amp option. When OS X announces a new release, they are in the beta testing phase. Their product is complete, but they have hundreds of different computer configurations that could be buggy. Windows is more of the same, except instead of hundreds, there are more like tens of thousands.

Competition - Kemper doesn't have direct competition. One could see AxeFX as a competitor, but they're really in a different league. The features Kemper needs to add on don't really apply to the AxeFX.

So with no direct competition, and one device to support, there's no reason to open up the upcoming release schedule. For a company like Kemper, that's like saying "our developers plan on being done by this date," instead of Apple saying "our product is done, but we want to test it out for a couple months and make sure it's solid." Saying "a new firmware version is coming out in 3 weeks" sets a firm deadline that most people anticipate and expect. People get unnecessarily excited for the new "thing," because, now, all of a sudden "old thing" wasn't good enough, even though you've been using "old thing" for a long time. You have unhappy users if it's late (programming is HARD, and you can't always foresee a problem), and you set a precedence for releasing updates early if you do it even once.

The fact is we haven't gotten any firmware updates because the Kemper is relatively stable. There aren't issues. And that's a good thing.

Would I like to see a release schedule or a list of upcoming features? Sure. But Kemper is no Microsoft. Or Apple. Or, heck, Marshall (even though it can sound like their entire historical archives). Releasing that information is just going to create an entirely different channel of user happiness that they'll have to manage.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Well, considering they gave us all a chance to try out the major 3.0 update before release (remember 2.8?), I don't really see the need to be upset or talk as if everything they do is cloak and dagger. Before every release there's a Beta. Anyway, it's summer, holiday time in Europe. There are a couple of bugs that I'd like to see cured, plus the extended parameter control via the Remote and expression pedals that we were promised as well as the Delay Stomp/Spring Reverb, but I think we've got it pretty good. The last two Kemper aren't actually obligated to implement in the same way as the bug fixing/expression pedal functions. I'm just happy there's a chance of FW updates at all.

• Surely Kemper can keep its loyal customers who have spend serious $$ up-to-date with what is happening / planned / coming and the respective timeframes re: FW updates.

Honestly, this really isn'ta big ask in 2015

Ben

I've heard it was coming early 2016.

On another note, anything wrong with your Kemper that it requires immediate firmware update? Or just bored playing guitar?

• It has been a much longer time than before for any update or even rig pack or announcement of any kind, I'm sure they're working on something big, maybe even the next generation of Kemper. But I'm happy so long as things carry on running smoothly and I don't encounter any bugs, this thing is a workhorse and I like that it sounds as good today as it did right at the beginning when I got it as an early adopter.

Not that of course I wouldn't be thrilled if there were another update with new features at some point, I'm sure we all would, but carry on doing what you're doing Mr Kemper and team! :D.

• Our smartphone apps have got us used to constant updates and I cannot say I like that.
    Most will update small stuff just to show some activity on their app.

Anyway, I don't find anything wrong with taking longer cycles to produce an update if any.

I just wished I had time to master all the current features (which I am not).

Don't get me wrong, I am excited when new firmwares are coming out but I like to see stability. The opposite makes me nervous.