Pinch harmonics lacking for thicker strings

• I'm having trouble getting my pinch harmonics to ring out nicely on the A and bottom E strings.
    About three years ago I decided to put in the time and successfully expanded my pinch harmonic range to an "Adam D" level. Since then, I've played many amps and many different guitars with no issues in this area.

Then I splashed out on this baby, KPA Powerrack. Tones and possibilities are to die for, but no matter what profile I use, no matter whether I EQ it or switch the cab sim on/off, throw a tube screamer in front, swing the gain to max, I don't get the pinch harmonics like I used to. They're there, but they're weak, lifeless, thin and killing the onstage momentum (you know that feeling when you hit a pinch and it doesn't come out great, a bit like being a pro skater and failing a kick-flip, it should have been awesome, everyone in the audience expected it to be awesome, but you fall flat). I've tried pinching in different places (though I know what overtones I'm going for it still didn't improve the sound), vibrato only sustains the weak response I've gotten.

This is totally consistent with different guitars and pickups as well, tried with Jacksons, Esps, loaded with EMGs and BareKnuckles etc. Asked my friend to give it a go, she had the same issues.
    If anyone has any tips or guidance it would be much appreciated, I feel like I only have half a tone.
    Many thanks in advance!

• Pinch harmonics are more a result of technique than amplifier. I have no problem doing them with my KPA (I have no problem getting them to sound out strongly with an unplugged guitar, either).

• Pinch harmonics are more a result of technique than amplifier. I have no problem doing them with my KPA (I have no problem getting them to sound out strongly with an unplugged guitar, either).

I can't detect a difference between artificial harmonics on my tube amps or the Profiler - wide range of guitars and pickups. Is your (global) noise gate set too high?

• I can't detect a difference between artificial harmonics on my tube amps or the Profiler - wide range of guitars and pickups. Is your (global) noise gate set too high?

Brilliant thinking, Don.

For those who may have missed it, Don must've had the fact that notes containing less energy may be attenuated ever more as their amplitude approaches the (lower) background noise level, in mind. This is because the gate transitions from fully on to off over a range; it's obviously not simply on or off.

Genius, our Don is. In Australia we've had ads for DON Smallgoods for decades; the catch phrase is, "Is Don. Is good". I concur. Heck, even the website is thusly named!

http://www.isdonisgood.com.au</a>

• Quote from DonPetersen: “I can't detect a difference between artificial harmonics on my tube amps or the Profiler - wide range of guitars and pickups. Is your (global) noise gate set too high?”
    Brilliant thinking, Don.

For those who may have missed…

YES! Global noise gate was the issue!
    As I stated before my technique is fine, in fact it's very good, so that's why I was upset.
    Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it!

• Had no idea the global NG affects pinch harmonics, thanks Don! Has happened to me before, get mad at my hands during shows where I can get anything to ring out, never made the NG connection though.

• That's understandable, mate. They squeal out and technically make lower notes (which is generally all of them) sound louder, so it's kinda an unintuitive leap to think of the gate.

The fact is 'though that the actual energy of the note played is less; the fundamental part of the waveform, that which imparts "pitch" to a sound, is reduced in level and one or some of the harmonics naturally present is / are increased (in level).

Higher frequencies have less energy but are easier to hear, so by reducing the lower component/s of a sound and increasing the higher ones (harmonics, and within reason of course - boosting 15k isn't gonna do a whole lot for perceived loudness, for example), we render it more audible for any given amount of energy.

The gate reads the energy level of the input signal, not its frequencies, hence the phenomenon.

YES! Global noise gate was the issue!
    As I stated before my technique is fine, in fact it's very good, so that's why I was upset.
    Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it!

Awesome man!

Your technique is very good, eh? Lucky bugger!