The HARD truth about Helix

• I listened to some of mDan's Helix clips on TGP, very interesting.. The Kemper cabs and other IRs made a big difference to the tone of the Helix

Exactly. The Kemper cabs separate the men from the boys.
    That's how it has been and how it will be in the future as well.

• Exactly. The Kemper cabs separate the men from the boys.
    That's how it has been and how it will be in the future as well.

I absolutely agree, there is some magic in the Kempers Cab Simulation that an IR can't duplicate. All those IR based modellers sound good on its own... until you actually put a Profiler next to it and listen in comparison. When I play the KPA without a Cab into an IR (in the DAW) ... I also loose a dimension ... hard to explain :)

Fun fact: I just profiled the Helix. It's 99% close, only that the profile sounds better :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• The timing on this video is so awful that it's really hard nötig to be annoyed and distracted by it, even when the sound is not bad at all.

Yes, obviously the guitarist didn't hear very well the backing track while he was soloing, never really on beat...

• There are so many videos where people are all like, man this sounds so good, great job, when really it's like. 'No...'

It really makes me wonder about the credentials of all these people buying all these products and whether or not we should really bother listening to any of their opinions. 600 page threads of people who don't play in any bands, have never been in a studio, never played live and can barely play saying 'AMAZING!', declaring their love for some really bad playing that really does the product a disservice, mainly because in reality it's playing that they look up to.

I'm probably one of them too. :D

• When you see either of them post demonstration videos of their modeled amps compared with their digital counterparts, that would be the hint that they're getting there or close enough.

Well obviously Kemper does the most realistic amps with the most advanced technology. Just the effects and remote are lacking.

I listened to some of mDan's Helix clips on TGP, very interesting.. The Kemper cabs and other IRs made a big difference to the tone of the Helix

I have used Redwirez now on Helix and they rock on it!

There are so many videos where people are all like, man this sounds so good, great job, when really it's like. 'No...'

It really makes me wonder about the credentials of all these people buying all these products and whether or not we should really bother listening to any of their opinions. 600 page threads of people who don't play in any bands, have never been in a studio, never played live and can barely play saying 'AMAZING!', declaring their love for some really bad playing that really does the product a disservice, mainly because in reality it's playing that they look up to.

I'm probably one of them too. :D

Now I confused Phil you are basically repeating what I said earlier in other words!

After further introspection is one really good amp in the Helix .. the Marshall but you have to get rid of the SM57 and put a ribbon mic or U87 on it makes a HUGE difference. IRs make it better again.

Still my point remains the basic sounds of 98% are sub par to a real amp and you need to do a LOT of work to make the Helix sound decent.

• Just so you know, the issue is with the iPhone. You often can't see the text you are writing so you are almost posting blind. The edits are (mostly) merely corrections of spaces and punctuation that don't seem to be entered at times.

I have a suggestion: every time you want to see what you're writing, press <Enter>. It works on my iPad.
    Also, you can do this anywhere in the "page", doesn't have to be after the line you're typing.
    Let me know if it works for you as well :)

No timing and no vibrato makes Jimmy(no) a dull boy :cursing::thumbup:

Weeendy.... Facciamo un patto, Wendy...

:D :D :D

• Yea it works, I've been doing that, but it also misses out punctuation and auto capilisation for some reason.

It's very annoying.

• Well obviously Kemper does the most realistic amps with the most advanced technology. Just the effects and remote are lacking...

I don't get how the effects are lacking. In comparison to what? Helix just came out and the harmony effects are glitchy according to early reviews and there's nothing comparable to pure tone in the Helix.

Is there a pure boost in the Helix? I didn't see one. The pure boost retains the amp character 100% in the Kemper. So every time I read where someone says that Kemper is lacking in effects,I suspect that it's just repeated because a few expect the kemper to be like the rest of multi effects with hundreds of low quality effects and some others just blindly repeat that without actually trying the Kemper effects.

For me the pure drive is better than having 10 different drive pedals because it doesn't take over the character of the amp or diminishes it's frequency response or sound quality.

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().

• I don't get how the effects are lacking. In comparison to what? Helix just came out and the harmony effects are glitchy according to early reviews and there's nothing comparable to pure tone in the Helix.

Is there a pure drive in the Helix? I didn't see one. The pure drive retains the amp character 100% in the Kemper. So every time I read where someone says that Kemper is lacking in effects,I suspect that it's just repeated because a few expect the kemper to be like the rest of multi effects with hundreds of low quality effects and some others just blindly repeat that without actually trying the Kemper effects.

For me the pure drive is better than having 10 different drive pedals because it doesn't take over the character of the amp or diminishes it's frequency response or sound quality.

Well said. Another effect that is a true Kemper exclusive and original, is the "Compressor" parameter/effect in the Amp section. So wonderful, so powerful, and superior (IMHO) to so many traditional stomp or rack-mount style compressor effects.

• What effects is the Kemper missing that are so important? It has every effect I want plus additional effects I probably won't use.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me