Posts by andyg_prs

Hi,

I'm delighted to say that the Uno4Kemper chip that arrived today (only ordered Saturday) appears to be working perfectly. :)

A few questions if you wouldn't mind accelerating my learning curve - gig in 2 days' time!....

I tend to use global effects - I know it's not the most flexible thing, but I'm easily distracted from my playing so I'd rather just switch slots in each performance and have the option of fixed functionality from my top row of pedals on the FCB.

So the FCB offers me switches 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and the two expression pedals. Uno chip has been left as default for the 6 - 10 footswitches.

Wah.....currently I have this configured on slot D, locked and controlled as touch wah by the left expression pedal.
    The right expression pedal is being used for volume.....currently as a boost....from 'normal' levels to the maximum it can do.

But I might like to find a new setting....I still want to be able to vary my volume but I don't know if there is a better setting I might use that allows me to have the pedal pushed down just a little as my default volume so I can also reduce volume by going heel down if need be? Might be the current way it is set is best for that.....it's just that the expression pedals on the FCB aren't the best in the world....

I have phaser on A and flanger on B.

Experimenting I currently have a clean boost on C. I might consider some kind of drive/compressor if I can find something that just gives me a little more 'oomph' when I need it on a particular sound....but nothing too dramatic....any ideas?

On the Kemper there is mod, X, reverb and delay.....I've played around with changing and saving those levels to rigs.....which I guess in performance mode translates to a slot in a performance.

What are my options for controlling those via 6-10?

Can I turn delay on and off? Can I set delay to be on all the time and have a minimum mix all the time but increase this to a much stronger delay effect by hitting one of the foot pedals?

Or do I consider using my old Budda Wah pedal and reassign the expression pedal to vary from 0 - 100% delay mix?

Or finally, could I plug in an extra expression pedal into the back of the Kemper and assign this for my 0 - 100% delay mix?

Sorry for all these questions but you guys know so much....

Cheers,
    Andy :)

Could be. Only a short soundcheck for the Saturday's gig so that's probably the safest thing.

In the small rehearsal room my guitar cab sounds a bit congested - could just be the room though.

A guitar cab with more neutral speakers or a passive PA cab might be a compromise?

So, I just exchanged my toaster without power for this. My first impressions were the lack of volume. I know about the power amp boost and took this half way on the dial. It was then much louder but nothing like going through my tube amap fx return. I guess I could try more but the manual talks about "soft clipping". It's as loud as I need, I'm just surprised.

My main worry is using the main out to a powered speaker. I tried this and compared to the monitor out to my 2 x 12 guitar cab. (no cab sims) it sounded thin and fizzy. But the main out had the cab sims on. I could compensate a bit on the eq for the main out by dropping the treble and presence a bit and adding a tiny bit of extra bass but it still didn't sound good.

This is on top of an experiment at the weekend briefly (very) using a PA that also sounded quite bad.

Can you think of anything obvious I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Andy

Just updated latest software, turned everything off and back on again and fingers crossed it seems to be working. Have you tried this?

One better, I swapped my non-powered version for the powered one....same issue.

My new chip is in transit, fingers crossed it works and then the answer will be clear.

On mine I could change any stomps, and use the expression pedals perfectly....but its response to the pedals 1 to 5 and up and down started off intermittent and then would work once following a restart of the FCB and then pretty much freeze altogether....

Maybe a faulty batch of eproms?

Cheers,
    Andy

PS - I'm not making any stupid mistakes, I've currently programmed the original FCB chip to control the KPA.....after a fashion....

Strange ???? Have you spoke to Xavier

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had something very similar and he said that as the expression pedals were working the chip must be sending midi messages correctly....I've ordered a new chip and assuming it then works, I'll be asking for a refund on the first one...

Enable autoload and new rigs and presets will be loaded automatically.

I think I've worked it out....I thought the stomp would change from saying Wah Wah to WWah Cry, but I think it will always say Wah Wah as in that's the effect for that stomp slot.....but when you turn the browse button it is now on the particular model of wah you chose......not the most intuitive thing in the world....but I'm still learning....

I can try it out properly later in the studio....at the moment it's just sat on a chair in my house.....being admired! :)

Use Browse knob when you're in the effects section, not Type.

Got that now, thanks. When browsing, and also with other selections on the unit, there doesn't always seem to be an enter or select button to grab the thing that you have arrived at with a dial?

So wah is on stomp D. Currently Wah, Wah, I browse to W Wah Cry - how do I select it?

Thanks,
    Andy

Andy,
    Are you using the Wah presets like the cry baby or one of the others? I normally go for the cry baby preset and have been happy with the sounds.

Sean

Hi,

Where do you find that? From memory there were options like wah wah, wah low and high pass, wah vowel, wah phaser, wah flanger etc...

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I've had my Kemper for a few days and only really used the wah properly at my first (great) rehearsal with it. Kemper = keeper :) It's now been backed up and is boxed ready to exchange for the powerhead version tomorrow :)

I noticed, particularly with my high gain solo rigs that (similar to my old Budda Wah and tube amp) the range of the wah seemed lacking. Or to explain better the wah effect wasn't very pronounced suggesting that either the 'depth' of the effect needed to be increased, or that the tone sweep from heel down to toe down needed to be increased or tweaked somehow. I guess that's the idea of the Dunlop 535q, although I've never used it.

Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions for me for wah setup and high gain solos?

Thanks,
    Andy

Kemper Powerhead + Guitar Cab is simply amazing. I do not know how they do it, but it works extremely well. I would recommend the upgrade from normal to powerhead to everyone that want to play with guitar cab. I like the "toaster" version, because very light and easy to carry (with green Kemper bag).

I read on a post here somewhere that it's made by Bang & Olufsen?

If you don't want the volume pedal to drive distortion, be sure to place it after the Amp.

HTH

:)

I think I had it pre-effects as the manual says "Right before STOMP X. At this position you control the overall volume of the sound, but delay and reverb tails will still decay naturally, when you swell down the pedal." But I think I got the desired result my changing to post-effects "Right after the reverb. At this position you control the overall volume of the sound,
    including reverb and delay tails, that can instantly be attenuated."

Both should've worked, so I can only imagine that something from Stomp X on was reacting to the volume pedal, producing more gain, on my lead patch. But I'll check later when I set things back up again.

Cheers,
    Andy

If I get the poweramp version, will all of my settings come through from my backup....or are the things like output volume pedal position, cab sim monitor off etc that I will have to re-enter.

It's not the biggest problem but I am short of time.....big gig on Saturday, so if I make the swap, I need to be know what might change so that I can take notes of how it is configured today...

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I have spent a good while browsing lots of past threads on this so not being lazy.

I've had my non-powered version for less than a week. Here in the uk, the Matrix class D poweramp GT800FX is about the same price as the uplift for a Kemper with the poweramp.

I can get a Rocktron Velocity 100 for less than half the price though.

On the upside, the self contained version with poweramp would be a smaller footprint, fewer cables, less to go wrong?

On the downside, the Kemper built in amp isn't stereo, although to date, I've never really worked with stereo effects. So, I imagine that unless I want to have a delay bounce from left to right of the stage, the stereo setup would make no difference to me? How else would you use it?

If I wanted to have left and right speakers, just with the same sounds I could still do that....

Currently I have a Framus 2 x 12 guitar cab. I'm using the FX return on my Carvin Legacy 3.

In the future, when funds allow, I might get some passive PA speakers but I'd have to find a practical way to try them out first to be sure I was happy with the sound they give in a band context.....and probably couldn't afford them new...

I did briefly try plugging into a PA at rehearsal today and it sounded really bad....but the keyboard player literally just tried it for a few seconds and then we got on with the rehearsal, so there could be many reasons why that wasn't representative....

Anyhow, I'd appreciate any opinions on what you guys would do / think of the options open to me....I should probably make my decision tomorrow, or Tuesday at the latest....

Cheers,
    Andy

There are some profiles on the exchange, where the user sampled patches from the Roland VG-99 "Virtual Guitar" system. The ones I have enjoyed, were an organ, the GR-300 guitar Synth, a dobro, and an acoustic. The member who created these profiles, Mr. Ruppert, discussed the methods used, but I am unable to locate that discussion currently.

Another member just recently sampled distortion tones from a Virus Synth, ( these are very useful).

There are some profiles on the exchange, where the user sampled patches from the Roland VG-99 "Virtual Guitar" system. The ones I have enjoyed, were an organ, the GR-300 guitar Synth, a dobro, and an acoustic. The member who created these profiles, Mr. Ruppert, discussed the methods used, but I am unable to locate that discussion currently.

Another member just recently sampled distortion tones from a Virus Synth, ( these are very useful).

Thanks I'll be sure to check those out! :)

Are you overdriving the output? You can see this by the OUTPUT light going red.

Thanks, I will check.....just back from practice where the Kemper performed really well. I moved the volume to post effects and it was more effective.....there are no drives or compressors in the rig though so not too sure why that would've made a difference - I will study it.

Later in practice I wondered if the sound was getting a bit bassy / boomy.....although that could have been for two reasons - my ears had lost their ability to sense the higher frequencies as our keyboard player assures me they do playing at band volume with a loud drummer.....and also using the Carvin Legacy 3 power amp it could've been some tube action going on....

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I've set up 3 performances with the 5 slots moving incrementally from clean to crunch to lead sounds.

Generally the volumes match well.

I've set the volume pedal as a boost - so normal in heel position, boost of a few dB toe down... Too much and even though the volume is set pre-effects, the patches distort too much - I suspect this is an issue with using my Carvin tube amp fx in for my power amp?.... The effects aren't drives and they behave perfectly with a reasonable amount of boost I just can't put lots on.

My lead sound is a tweak on Lasse Lammert's Soldano Hot Rod 100+ profiled with an OD808......

That patch doesn't seem to respond much to the volume increase. I would suspect the distortion sense but all the other distorted and clean patches seem to match well, as this does too, it's just how it reacts to the master volume boost......any ideas?

Cheers,
    Andy

Total beginner here...mind blown by the Kemper!

I've found an amazing acoustic sound and an organ sound using Rig Exchange. How would these have been created? Has somebody put a synth or other source of those sounds in the chain somehow?

If so, does that mean that if I want to sound like a sax I can get our keyboard player to set that up.....get it into a profile and just use it?

That would mean all of the tracking problems you usually have with midi guitars goes away?

Amazing!

I've not gone anywhere near the profiling side of things, so an A, B, C of how this is done would be great......

Cheers,
    Andy