Posts by Syntek

AaronJ16 I feel the same. I prefer KPAprofiles and effects, trying to keep it simple most of the time, but I am still using some of my pedals that I can't replicate with the KPA, by now.

I am building a similar setup. I want to use the KP Remote for everything and a Voodoo Labs HEX as the pedal switch receiving MIDI changes triggered from the KPA.

The issue I have is that I like the sound of drive pedals in front of the KPA, and I was not able to replicate the same sound using LOOP MONO or LOOP DISTORTION. I've checked the user manual and tutorials, and tried all available loop stomp parameters volume, mix, ducking parameters and global loop settings, but no success.

Did you notice that difference with your drives? How did you workaround with this?

Friedman is right, the digital stuff has not the same physical interaction as the real thing. But, he also accepts that Kemper is "taking the sound", which is exactly the point. Many users are willing to sacrifice part of the interaction provided by heavy physical gear and get that sound with some credible interaction from convenient and cost effective gear.

Just take a look to the digital piano profiling/modeling industry, which is years ahead of guitar amp profiling/modeling R&D, chasing the "real" sound of physical, very expensive and huge pianos. Yamaha R&D has delivered cost effective Hybrid pianos, Digital pianos, and Keyboards that offer profiles of their much more expensive and huge Acoustic Concert Pianos and even they are improving the keys weight and sensitivity trying to be closer to the "real piano" as well.

It is true that Digital Pianos does not offer the same physical interaction that you get from an acoustic Piano, but thanks to the technology, many users and professional musicians can enjoy credible piano sounds at home, studio, stage, everywhere with the convenience that a beautifully expensive, heavy weight Acoustic piano can't offer. We can be sure that the world has much more piano players after this digital wave started.

By the way, do you hear your keyboard players complaining about "piano in the room" or being so worried about the physical interaction of their keyboards compared with a real piano?. How many bands travel with "real pianos"? Perhaps Elton John with that million dollar piano show.

The need of a PoE injector is clear to me now, the manual has some brands and models suggested. And the good think is that it does not have to be inside the Pedalboard.

Back to my original question about RJ45 sockets Kemper Remote compliant.

The manual says "...PROFILER and Remotes should be connected to those ethernet sockets that provide PoE power. Supported are IEEE standard 802.3af-2003 as well as 802.3at-2009 mode A. Be aware that only mode A can be used; mode B is not functional!

This looks like the one used in the Remote: Neutrik NE8FDP, their site says: " Accommodates NE8MC* or any standard RJ45 plug..Cat5e compatible"

Some KP users did setup another connectors like this:

Are there any list of suggested RJ45 models or any actual user testimonials that would recommend a socket model?

Thanks. Indeed, I did consult the manual and I even copy/paste what the manual says in my post above, lines above my question. "This will enable you to bridge distances of more than 100m (300ft). The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e. g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable..."

The scenario that we are talking about is not "exactly" as described/pictured in the manual, since it adds a rj45 socket in the middle of the connections. Perhaps it would be a nice addition to the Remote's manual, clarifying that this applies to short distances (1m patch) and any kind of bridge applications not described in the manual like: pedalboards, studio patch panel... That's was what I wanted to confirm, and your post helped a lot, Thanks.:thumbup:

That depends on the resistance of each of the components you use. This is what the manual says:

The cable delivered with the Remote meets American Wire Gauge 24 (AWG), which can support up to 7.5m (22ft) length. AWG 26 cables have a smaller diameter and can only support up to 5m (15ft). Cables with higher AWG e. g. AWG 28 should not be used with the Remote.

Why would you want to take any risk, if you are building your custom rack setup anyhow and a PoE injector for 20$ gets you to the safe side?

About using an injector the manual says:

"This will enable you to bridge distances of more than 100m (300ft). The PoE injector can be located close to the PROFILER e. g. in the same rack and connected via a short ethernet cable.".

The manual describes a scenario where the user wants to extended significantly the distance to the Remote.

In my Pedalboard application, I will extend the distance just using a 1m. CAT5e ethernet patch angled cable underneath the board.

So, where should I place the PoE injector (a) underneath the board, between the Neutrik NE8FDP jack and the Remote or (b) In the KPA side, just next to the Kemper Profiler KPA with another short 1m. ethernet cat5e cable?

This 30 footer has been working fine for me since May (knock on wood). This brand is mentioned elsewhere in this thread. I own 10, 20 and 30 foot versions. Six thumbs up.

Elite Core PROCAT5E | Ultra-Flexible Shielded CAT5E | Tactical Ethernet to Booted RJ45 | 30' ft, 30 (PROCAT5E-S-RE-30

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G…m_r_mt_dp_U_igEvCbH2AR283

It seems that a simple RJ45 cable will not work with the Remote. It has to be at least CAT5e cables with AWG not higher than 26, according to the manual.

The Elite Core PROCAT5E is a great option, any right angled alternative you guys would recommend?

Other option is changing the connector to the PROCAT5E. I've found this angled connector, but it's CAT6A. Do you think it could work?

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/highlights/mfp8/angled-version/

Yes, it fits underneath the board with some brackets.

I understood from the main manual that PoEs is used for cables in excess of 10m or for using two remotes. This is not the case, but I guess you guys are right since my proposed setup is some kind of short bridge.

This setup would be:

Profiler Remote-->ethernet Cat5e booted angled cable --> PoE switch underneath the board--> Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 jack --> Kemper cable w/Neutrik etherCON tactical connector.

Is this the correct setup, right?

Anyway, a PoE switch adds more stuff to the board, though. Could this be an alternative?

https://www.amazon.com/HDView-…iew+POE+Extender+Repeater

The length of the Kemper cable is more than enough for my stage needs. I just want to make some room in the pedalboard by getting rid of the bulky Neutrik tactical connector. The other option was place the Remote in the upper section of the board, but is not so comfortable.

So, what if I just change the tactical connector of the Kemper cable for an angled ethernet RJ45 connector? This way the cable will go underneath the board straight to the KPA.

Some right angled connector compliant with: Cat5e/ ISO/IEC 11801 / AWG 24 / Compatibility (PoE +): High Power over Ethernet (PoE+) 802.3at IEE. Like this:

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/highlights/mfp8/angled-version/

Note: In order to not damage the Kemper cable, I could work it out changing the connector to a cable that was recommended in another thread: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G…sw_r_em_apa_svMczbQRV59H4

Could this approach work? Thoughts?

I am trying to build a touring Pedalboard for the Profiler Remote.

I would like to install a RJ45 jack (CAT5e ethernet compliant) in the pedalboard. So, the Kemper ethernet cable will be connected to this RJ45 jack and then underneath the board, straight to the Profiler Remote with another etheret cable.

Considering that Kemper seems to be using a Neutrik NE8MC-1 connector in the ethernet cable patch, I would like to know if I can use a Neutrik NE8FDP RJ45 chassis without any data loss issues.

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/ne8fdp

This RJ45 connector complies with Cat 5e according to TIA / EIA 568B and ISO / IEC 11801 standard.

Are those standards compliant with the Kemper RJ45 and ethernet cable?

Any other recommendation?

2) if you get a MIDI programmable loop box, you can use Performance Mode to send a MIDI Program change to the loop box each time you select a Performance Slot with the Remote. If the Performance Slot is programmed with the FX loop “on”, you would hear the pedals as soon as you select the Slot. If it is programmed with the FX loop turned off, you can turn it on with a Stomp switch.

Interesting, I think this is what I need.

Let me check if I did get it right, since I don't want to hear all the pedals from the loop box at the same time, just the ones I need at a particular time.

In this scenario, the MIDI programable loop box has pedal X, and pedal Y attached. (both pedals turned on). It has LOOP 1 preset programmed to sound just pedal X and LOOP2 preset to sound both pedals X+Y at the same time.

The MIDI Loop Box is connected to the KP send/return and to the

MIDI interfaces. The Performance Slot 1 and Slot 2, both have a FX loop stomp turned on to play the loop box. The Remote is programmed to play the Performance Slots which will send MIDI program changes to the loop box.

So, If I want to play a song starting with LOOP1 preset (pedal X), I just select the Performance Slot 1 programmed for that. If at some point I want to use the Loop Box LOOP2 preset (pedals X+Y), I just select the Performance Slot 2 which will send the corresponding MIDI program change to the Loop Box.

I believe the programming is described in "Transmitting MIDI Commands to Two External Devices in Performance Mode" in the user manual

That is how it's done, correct?

Hi,

I mainly use the KPA with the Remote. That's it no more complications.

However, I have some pedals that can't be replaced by the KPA (yet) and I would like to use them with many KP profiles just pressing a pedal button, no tap dancing.

I would like your advice about the options available:

1. Using a MIDI programmable pedalboard loop switcher in front of the KPA may work, right?

I mean the Pedal Loop Switcher would control the external pedal combinations and the Switcher MIDI interface controls the changes in the KPA Profiles at the same time. Any switcher that you would recommend for this setup?

2. What about the KP remote to control everything. Is that possible?

The KPA FX loop helps setting the whole pedalboard chain in a single LOOP stomp, so I can control it using a KP Remote stomp slot in any position. This has some advantages since I could add KPA FX in front of the pedalboard loop stomp. I understand that for the KPA the whole external pedal chain will be managed as a single stomp box. So, I guess, I will have to tap dance between Remote, to select the KP Rig, and the external pedal switcher to select the pedals loop selection, isn't?

Any additional piece of gear that could help the KP Remote to control everything or to assign different external pedal loops to different KP loop stomps? Am I missing something?

i've played some more with the settings on green scream to sound closer to my TS9 with the old JRC 4550 chip

gotten closer to the point where i don't want to carry my TS9 and just use green scream . but ... always room for improvement a bit

Great. So what values have found that are close to your setting 1) DRIVE: 8:30; TONE: Max; LEVEL: 3:00 o'clock

Kemper adjusted the parameters and scaling a few firmwares back to better reflect the real-world pedal (before, their ranges went beyond the physical effect to give us more tonal options, but it only confused us dim guitarists), so theoretically you should dial the Green Scream the same way you would the real pedal. Bear in mind, it’s rare that you’ll find two real Tubescreamers that sound the same, so prepare to tweak a little either side of the settings if you’re comparing to a pedal you have in front of you.

Is Green Screamer Volume 0 equivalent to TS 5.0 (12:00) or TS zero (7:00)?

I mean KP GS values before 12:00 are negative -db.

How should I dial the Green Scream to get close to the following TS808 settings?

Setting 1) DRIVE: 8:30; TONE: Max; LEVEL: 3:00 o'clock

Setting 2) DRIVE: 2:30; TONE: 11:30; LEVEL: 2:30 o'clock

Please share the Green Scream settings that are working for you over clean or low gain amps. Thx.

I really think there is zero chance (or need) for a list of different classic stomp pedals. I think it is much more likely that Kemper will apply the same philosophy to the FX stomps that they have already used with the delays and reverbs.

Yeah. That seems the way ckemper would approach this. A new release of OD/DS/Boost algorithms with a set of new presets emulating popular pedals (Clones, KofTone, BluesBreaker, OCD, GreenScream TS10, GreenScream TS9,....). NAMM 2020, please.

Code
    Some debate on this....be unlikely to be the same and possibly based upon it. Its confirmed its  a celestion

Yeah. Not exactly the same Celestion F12s. ckemper mentioned that he was part of the design and it is a version made exclusively for KPA. Not really a full FRFR, as described, but a clever idea for sure. Hope to see the A/B compare of the cabs, soon.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Pedal profiling/modeling... it does not sound difficult to do, for ckemper isn't?

... and if I hadn't already, I'd now add:

Profile Type - Studio, Merged, DI

The tagging facility is there. The data consumes bugger-all room. I'm therefore all for additional categories and their associated fields.

Agreed +1.

Searching Merged/DIs rigs through the RigExchange, would need a new Rig Manager version.

Major upgrades to Rig Manager may be time consuming for KP development team. But, just releasing a new tag like "RIG TYPE" or "PROFILE TYPE", could be easy to develop and very useful for all. Having that tag also on the Profiler could be a plus, just like having the "Favorites" filter.

Meanwhile a workaround at least for downloaded (local) rigs is using existing tags.

Rig Manager's "AMP LOCATION" or "CABINET LOCATION" tags/fields, do not have relevant information for me at all. Just, check it out. So, that could be used to manually categorize downloaded rigs as blank=Studio, Merged, DI, hence easy to find in your local library.