Can't get my profiles close enough

• If I read this right, the OP is capturing an eq snapshot of the actual mic sound & then the ensuing KPA profile, meaning that room placement and mic choice shouldn't matter (assuming everything is the same in the chain)
    I wish I had ozone to check this out on my end...my ears do not perceive any low end bump as OP states, but IDK

• The only difference between the profiler and mic sound should be the reverb trail, so standing waves aren't really the issue but ambience might be.
    I'll see if i can give it a go with the Engl tomorrow.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Any chance you can give settings for the KPA internal paraeq?

From what I can see in the pic I'm thinking low freq 100Hz, low gain -10dB, mid freq 150Hz, mid gain +2.5dB, mid Q 0.78 ?

• I wish I had ozone to check this out on my end...my ears do not perceive any low end bump as OP states, but IDK

There are other options than Ozone for capturing the frequency response, probably some free ones as well. I'd love if some others could make the same kind of test and show the results. We might be on to something interesting!

• 3 dB is a lot, actually a lot more than your JMC profile would need.
    By carefully refining you can achive a deviation of less than a half dB with most amps.
    A good final refining is made by playing in those regions and styles where the deviations are revealed.

Have you tried to profile your Orange again with less amp volume?

• Three things I've noticed when profiling that might make an impact for you, theyre' not scientific just experiences that I've had.

The first is that for some reason sometimes a profile is just messed up, usually the first profile I make, and no matter what I do it'll never get there, so I have to just ditch it and go on to make a second profile which then seems to come out that much better (don't ask me, it could just be that I'm not in the right refining mode, or perhaps there's some bug, who knows, but it seems to happen fairly regularly for me).

The second thing is that sometimes it just takes a lot of time to refine something, like a lot lot, ten minutes or more of just noodling away and then suddenly you go back and test and it's like something just clicked into place and the result is much closer.

The third is that it's easy to forget that the Kemper is still sending signal out from it's SPDIF and monitor outs at the same time as it's profiling! This means that unless you turn your monitors down during the profiling and refining process you're going to get some very strange phasing and amplification effects which wont be present when you simply record the result direct from the amp because it's hearing the same thing played back twice from two different parts of the room. It's easy to overlook because often your amp is damn loud and you don't notice!

On top of this I'd really recommend setting yourself up via SPDIF in order to re-amp back as needed. My workflow for dealing with the fact that I have no isolation booth in order to be able to hear KPA vs Amp properly is to go guitar->interface->spdif->kemper->amp->mic->kemper. Now i have a DAW up and running at the same time and I record the dry guitar signal from the hi-z input on my interface as well as the kemper or amp while doing a little test riff, I think switch the A/B on the Kemper and send the dry channel out to the KPA through the SPDIF to be re-amped and again record the result. That way I have both versions that I can now listen to through the monitors without hearing the amp at the same time and do an AB within the DAW. Coincidentally the KPA makes for a decent real amp re-amp box too thanks to this ability :D I wish that we had looping using a usb stick for memory in order to have the KPA do this for us automatically during refining with a little "loop" mode and the a/b switch, that way you'd not need to go through the kerfuffle, but still this way works, and it can help you get a lot closer than otherwise if you don't have the ability to 100% isolate your cab.

• Within 1/2db is close enough for me :)

But, even if your profile is 1, 2, or even 3 db down around 100hz to 200hz:

Every recorded guitar track ends up with less low end than the amp has, and in a live mix, a guitar with as much going on in the 100hz to 200hz range as in higher frequencies would also have the low end rolled off in FOH, because that frequency range needs to be available for the Bass and Drums.

• Every recorded guitar track ends up with less low end than the amp has, and in a live mix, a guitar with as much going on in the 100hz to 200hz range as in higher frequencies would also have the low end rolled off in FOH, because that frequency range needs to be available for the Bass and Drums.

This is a fact of life...your Engineer is going to roll off those frequencies in order to allow the other instruments space in the mix. One of the most difficult things I've learned was to learn to hear the guitar as it should be EQ'd to sit in the mix. This usually doesn't sound "quite right" when you are smply palying out thru the amp in the room. Let the Bass , Synth and Kick fill out those frequency ranges in your guitar tone.

The third is that it's easy to forget that the Kemper is still sending signal out from it's SPDIF and monitor outs at the same time as it's profiling! This means that unless you turn your monitors down during the profiling and refining process you're going to get some very strange phasing and amplification effects which wont be present when you simply record the result direct from the amp because it's hearing the same thing played back twice from two different parts of the room. It's easy to overlook because often your amp is damn loud and you don't notice!

Interesting, I knew I wasn't the only one having this kind of trouble for the lack of an acoustically isolated room plus control room. I'd venture a guess that the vast majority of the Kemper userbase don't have a professional studio at their disposal either. I've suggested including a "single room" option in profiling mode that would mute the direct out when engaging the "Kemper" switch and mute the main and monitor outs when engaging the "reference amp" switch, but my it doesn't seem to have gotten much attention. The result would be that the reference amp would be silent while auditioning the Kemper through the monitors, and while refining or listening to the original amp the monitors would be silent. Currently every time I profile and want to compare original vs Kemper I have to go and turn amp to standby and then back on, and then turn the monitors off, back and forth, it's a real pain in the ass.

• I don't know if this will help but here goes:
    Before profiling an amp, we select a profile on the browser that is close.
    I then go to profile...if something goes wrong (wrong amp setting, cell phone rings, etc) I abort halfway through
    It's probably important to go back to the browser & reselect the close profile. Otherwise, you're basing your profile on a botched attempt, which might work anyway but I'd rather not take any chances

• 3 dB is a lot, actually a lot more than your JMC profile would need.
    By carefully refining you can achive a deviation of less than a half dB with most amps.
    A good final refining is made by playing in those regions and styles where the deviations are revealed.

Have you tried to profile your Orange again with less amp volume?

It is a lot perhaps, but to say it's more than the JCM needs is not correct. I reached these results after measuring, which is very important to keep in mind. After applying the EQ as pictured, the Kemper sounds closer, and it MEASURES closer. Please also don't neglect that I had to boost AND apply HPF. If you apply the same curve as I did, you should get the same result. I can make a screenshot of that measurement as well if anyone's interested.

Oh believe me, I've tried to refine by playing what the "problem" is. Just for the heck of it, I've now also tried refining by playing palm mutes for a good 20 minutes. The result in the low-end is...exactly the same.

Tried with less amp volume, yes, as described in an earlier post. That's also what I did now with the palm mute session of death.

But, even if your profile is 1, 2, or even 3 db down around 100hz to 200hz:

Every recorded guitar track ends up with less low end than the amp has, and in a live mix, a guitar with as much going on in the 100hz to 200hz range as in higher frequencies would also have the low end rolled off in FOH, because that frequency range needs to be available for the Bass and Drums.

That's completely besides the point. Even if it would be customary to roll off the low-end (which is a far too blanket statement) I do not want the Kemper to make any mixing decisions for me! Actually in that respect, with my test results the low-end rolls off nicely from around 90Hz with the amp while the Kemper adds something below that. I'd be far more concerned with that than anything else.
    For the record, I'm not a "guitar player" so to speak. I'm a studio and FOH engineer. To to address this:
    "your Engineer is going to roll off those frequencies in order to allow the other instruments space in the mix"
    I AM the engineer.

To try to address some more points...
    * I've tried starting with a similar profile.
    * I've tried re-starting the profiling after initial (and second and third attempt etc). Same result.
    * I don't currently don't use the SPDIF. I'm sending the DI through a LittleLabs Redeye 3D. When I run the tests I'm first playing the DI through the profile, then switch to Reference amp. It's exactly the same signal being used both times.
    * I'm aware of phasing affecting the sound while listening through monitors and having the amp play in the other room (I deal with that to a certain extent every day in the studio). But that wouldn't account for different measurements. If ever in doubt I usually pop on a pair of closed-back headphones. In those I can hear the difference even better. But measurements are measurements, it's not only up to what I'm hearing or perceiving.

By the way, here is a reading with pink noise playing through the profile vs through the amp:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/pinknoise.jpg]

• Been running a bunch of more tests now, been trying to change various things in the method.

* Tried with a different amp (Mesa Trem-o-verb)
    * Tried with less distortion
    * Tried with almost clean sound
    * Recorded a new DI track with chugging on various notes so it's not just one bump in the frequency range, so to speak
    * Recorded a parallel signal from the mic pre to rule out that the Kemper did something weird when playing back the return signal
    * Checked frequency response when playing a track with no chugging at all

I keep coming back to the same results. As for the EQ curve, I modified it a bit, still a bit different but I only use it to get close enough in the most problematic range. I changed the HPF from 12dB/octave to 24dB/octave to get it more accurate. Apart from that, the main problem area is always around 100-120Hz, there's a peak there that the Kemper simply doesn't capture when I run the tests. Regardless of amp, cab, mic, etc. That, and the "addition of information" below 90Hz.

Mesa amp, Mesa cab, SM57, recorded with new DI signal as described above (by the way, the Ozone frequency plots do NOT correspond to the scale on either side of the diagram; unfortunately I can't zoom in on the curve either):

EDIT: Sorry, the scale on the left DOES correspond to the frequency response and I CAN zoom in if needed.

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/NewDI_kemp-amp.JPG

EDIT 2:
    The problem area zoomed in:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/NewDI-kemp-amp-Zoomed.JPG]

The modified EQ:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/NewEQ.JPG]

The frequency response reading of the amp vs the Kemper WITH eq applied:

[Blocked Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8687414/Kempertest/NewDI_kempEQ-amp.JPG]

Also, if there's any doubt as to why I'm doing this:
    I'm trying to narrow down a problem and troubleshoot. So far, my findings have been very conclusive, the same problem over and over. I'm trying to approach this in an as scientific manner as possible and I'm trying to rule out various things. Therefore, it would be extremely helpful if someone else could try to replicate this, using the same methodology. If they come to the same conclusion then the problem is uniform, and it could be a flaw that could possibly be addressed by Kemper in a future update (possibly by giving us the option to apply a similar corrective EQ curve in the profiling process; the fact that I'm getting nearly identical frequency discrepancies would support such a possibility). If others can NOT replicate this, then it indicates that something is wrong on my end and I'll have to keep trying to find out what it is. Saying things like "you don't want that much low-end anyway" doesn't change the results.

If my methodology isn't clear enough, let me know and I'll explain exactly how everything is connected and how I proceed!

Edited 3 times, last by tgs ().

• TGS: I guess the question that comes to mind is...besides looking at what the graphs and trace lines are saying to us..How does it sound? I mean...Is the the tone rocking? Does it put a smile on your face? In spite of not being 100% perfectly profiled?

At some point we have to stop looking at charts and just play it...

• TGS: I guess the question that comes to mind is...besides looking at what the graphs and trace lines are saying to us..How does it sound? I mean...Is the the tone rocking? Does it put a smile on your face? In spite of not being 100% perfectly profiled?

At some point we have to stop looking at charts and just play it...

How does it sound, well it lacks in the low-range, around 100-120Hz specifically. I can clearly hear it and I don't like it. If you listen to my first clips you should hear it too.

The point with my further investigation is to find what is the problem and to find a remedy. Hopefully one that can be implemented already in the Kemper, when profiling. I sincerely hope that my posts are of use and interest to some. If you're happy with what the Kemper does for you, then great! I'm also VERY happy with my Kemper, BUT I'm experiencing a problem, and with my tests I'm coming closer to a conclusion that the problem persists regardless of signal chain. I'm hoping that someone can either confirm this or get a different result. It's not that it sounds like crap. I'm just hoping for an improvement.

• So basically the profiles have too much low end below 100 Hz and lack low end *around* 100-120 Hz, right? I've read more than once that the guys who make commercial profiles have to compensate their rigs for the lack of low end, wondering how they're doing it. I have noticed the lack of low end during profiling myself and now realize that by compensating for it using the tonestack I might (and probably am) also boosting the frequencies below 100 Hz which are already boosted in the profiling process. Is this assumption correct?