My Remote Review

• I've never had the high end midi boards that are a grand and up - but I have had the Ground Control Pro, the Rocktron All Access, and a few others. The Kemper board is more solidly built and is a good value IMHO for $600 when you remember a Rocktron Midi Raider (the replacement for the All Access) is only $100 less new. The Remote has the same basic display the Kemper itself has, is incredibly easy to set up and did I mention it's solidly built?

The FCB is a workable solution and I've used one in the past. Bang for the buck is undeniable. There are just several things the Remote does that the others can't. If the things it does lack value for your specific needs, then the other options are still there.

• Just bumped into a 30 minutes Tony Mckenzie review :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZgli5vZUTI

Tony makes a good point about the doc, but misses the point regarding why the remote is more than some switches and steel. It's all about ease of use and integrated functionality. He keeps saying that it's not flexible enough, but never gives a specific example. My guess is that most of us really don't want to fool around with MIDI setup and the techie side of things. We just want to hook it up and play! And THAT is what the Kemper engineers delivered. This is not a generic controller that must be twiddled and configured for a variety of potential targets - and that's why there's not so much hardware in the box - it's integrated into the profiler's firmware. I say "well done" to the engineers and designers, and I'm sure more functionality is yet to come. :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• My guess is that most of us really don't want to fool around with MIDI setup and the techie side of things. We just want to hook it up and play! And THAT is what the Kemper engineers delivered. This is not a generic controller that must be twiddled and configured for a variety of potential targets - and that's why there's not so much hardware in the box - it's integrated into the profiler's firmware. I say "well done" to the engineers and designers, and I'm sure more functionality is yet to come. :thumbup:

this is me exactly ;)

• I've been in tune with Tony M. since my early Mesa Triaxis days.
    Tony's Remote overview differs from others so far with more detail that I've seen.
    And although Tony tends to stray towards the opinionated, typically he has had some goods points.

But I will have to agree to disagree about his overall rating for these following reasons.
    1) Tony quibbles way too much about the value/price neglecting to emphasize that the Remote is the ONLY unit capable of interfacing with Kemper as it does displaying all the valuable functions of the unit.
    Yes, other midi can interface, but their respective displays fall way short of the display performance of the Remote.

2) I don't agree about his comments citing more functionality should be incorporated.
    It's a Remote! Best to keep it simple and retain the in depth programming on the Kemper itself. IMO.
    I want my Remote to act as a functional "satellite" without being burdened with programming complexity.

3) Tony (and others) seem to be dwelling way too much about the Looper feature.
    Personally, I would have invested in the Remote whether it had the looper or not. To me, it's kind of cool to have the ability, but neither a show promotion or stopper either way.

BTW - I could be wrong, but what Tony refers to as "paint" is actually a powder coating finish which is way more durable.

Having all the respect for Tony M. and his reviews, I still choose to believe Kemper got it right.

• My remote is currently making its way towards me but the reason I bought this remote is the ease of use. I don't want to spend a bunch of time programming. I don't have the time nor the inclination. If I didn't mind doing that there are a number of other options available. I just want to plug it in a play. With the Kemper Remote, I can actually use the tuner feature of the Kemper i.e. I'm not sitting/standing next to the kemper so if I can't see it it isn't useful. That being said, I wish the tuner had the capability to program offsets. Do I wish it was cheaper. H@ll yea! but the cost wasn't a deal breaker for me when you consider the convenience factor.

• My experience and thoughts on the Remote pretty much mimic carsnguitars58. I''ve now used it on 2 gigs and 3 rehearsals, and even though the switch placement is taking a little getting used to , I find the functionality exceptional. A little "pricey" yes, but love not having to plub in a midi or a powercord.

• Since ease of use has been mentioned as a motivation for buying the Kemper FC instead of other generic FCs, I felt compelled to say that using the FCB 1010 with the Eureka Prom 2 chip has given me great control of many of the Kemper functions AND has been very easy to use with virtually no midi programming or futzing on my part. Of course it doesnt have a looper which is fine by me. ; )

Edited once, last by lasvideo ().

• @lazvideo - I don't think anyone would dispute the FCB1010 operating via midi with the Kemper just fine.
    But, I don't think you're taking into consideration the additional functional sweep experience available using a dedicated expression pedal off of the Remote.
    Having used both FCB and a dedicated expression pedal, there is simply just no comparison... IMO
    Whether this is worth it as an investment, it's (as always) an individual decision.

Happy Kemper

• I still have both the Remote and the Fcb1010.
    After having a slight misshap at Gig on Sat. night ( I accidently cought the looper switch with my tow while turning on an effect) , I set up both pedals yesterday to A/B them side by side. I have had no trouble in 2 1/2 yrs using the FCB w/ stk UNO chip, so I was wondering other then some simplicity what I was gaining from the KPA Remote.
    I found I really liked the size and form factor much better. I also liked using my modified Crybaby much much better then the FCB pedals. Also having easy access to the tuner and tap tempo is outstanding
    I also fixed the problem of hitting the looper button by accident , by cutting a small black hard foam ring to slip over the button

• Hi,

most things that could be told about the remote are being told by now. Setup ran smoothly, handling is just fine and the direct approach to performance mode and it's slots is just what the doctor orders. Very handy for rehearsal and gigs. All my rigs have a graphic eq (neutral with vol = 3 db) to help me switch to lead mode instantly. The other fixed button is delay on/off. Some rigs get a treble boost (vol = 0.5, tone = -2.0) to help me when switching guitars. Everyday I like it a bit more. I wonder why it is that the kemper is ready much quicker than the remote. Well not a real bug but one has to watch it when playing in public.
    I would prefer synchronized ready status if possible.

Have fun

Joachim

• After having a slight misshap at Gig on Sat. night ( I accidently cought the looper switch with my tow while turning on an effect)
    I also fixed the problem of hitting the looper button by accident , by cutting a small black hard foam ring to slip over the button

UGH.....I did this *3 times* last night. What made it worse was I usually have little light at gigs to see the writing on the Remote. My guitar parts were repeating in the song while I was playing. Imagine the looks I got from my band members, as in "WTF??!!!". I couldn't stop it. I don't use loopers so I didn't read the instructions on it. I kept pressing the Looper button as I thought that would stop it.
    I ended up turning the Kemper off in the middle of the song and rebooting.

I wish there was a way internally to disconnect the Looper function, but I guess I'll have to try your solution.

The key to everything is patience.
    You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.
    -- Arnold H. Glasow

If it doesn't produce results, don't do it.

-- Me

• After 3 Month of waiting, i played a gig last Saturday with the Remote.
    We played for about 4 hours. 9 PM to 2 AM, with breaks between the sets.
    Had not a single issue with it. Mounted the remote with a Dunlop Pedal on a Palmer PedalBay. One Cable from the Remote to the KPA.
    "Accidently" i pushed the buttons real heard a few times. No problem for the Remote!
    The reaction of the buttons is real good. You place your foot over the button and a soft step is enough to switch sound.
    In Performance Mode the LED for the engaged Slot lights up bright white, while the other LEDs are a little bit darker. Perfect to locate your Switches when the lights get off.
    The only thing that requires some practice, is the Layout of the Program-Up/Down Buttons. I would like them the other way round. But that´s the only complaint for me.
    Thumbs up!

Edited once, last by janus ().