Anyone else not felt the need to profile?

• I was slightly skeptical when i first bought my kemper that i would need to profile my own amps to get the sounds i wanted. However I have not even turned on my diezel VH4 since i bought my powered toaster. I just felt the tones i got from free profiles already out preformed my diezel. And then i obviously bought some and they were even better.

Anyone else felt the same?

• I had to sell all my amps to get the Kemper (wife demands I run this like a business lol) so I had no choice but to use others profiles. Have always found what I liked. Some day my guilt will get to me and I'll profile and share but for now I just spend as much time as I can on the forum helping others to offset the guilt trip lol.

P.S. my other dirty secret? I've never bought commercial rigs, the factory rigs and one's shared by fellow Kemperites are great, if someone can't find great tones from them they aren't listening!

UPDATE: Whoops: I did buy a Soldano commercial pack from TAF and love it, couldn't find that amp anywhere on RE. Forgot all about that purchase, think I was drinking at the computer again lol.

Edited once, last by Booyah ().

• I have been 100% content with the free and commercial profiles so far. I love them...so many good sounds.

I would like to profile my 73 Fender pro reverb someday but I'm in no hurry.

• Had my KPA nearly 3 years and never even turned to profile mode, and I doubt I ever will. There are great profiles about from guys who really know how to do it. My feeling on this is at £4-£5 for an amp profiled properly it's not worth my time :) I'd rather support the guys who do it properly :)

Same here. I did some half hearted attempts to profile my own gear and got some decent results,too, but in the end I find much more pleasure in what's available on the RE.

• I don't have any fancy amp to profile and certainly don't have the profiling skills some have. I'm very happy with the free and paid profiles I have but ...

... profiling is a lot of fun !
    You should try it, just to see how accurate and fun it is ! (even if you get poor results like me)

• I feel the same but I do want to profile my amps just to do it.

This. I have gotten some EXCELLENT commercial and free profiles and most certainly can get by with them alone. The whole reason I got my Kemper though was to have MY Splawn tone ready and available for any gig. This weekend that will become a reality as I have a profiling session planned with one of the Kemper Forums favorite guys!

More details to follow!

• Anyone else felt the same?

It's been the same way for me. It's been many years since I've owned an actual amp as desirable as the stuff profiled and freely available on the Rig Exchange, which was the primary draw of owning a KPA in the first place. I also recognized that, prior to f/w 3.0 and Direct Amp profiling, my own profiles would likely be compromised by lackluster microphones and room acoustics - so why not just leave it to the pros (or at least the talented amateurs; I don't actually use many paid profiles.)

I did have a brief foray into profiling off-beat stuff - Roland synth and COSM tones - but accidentally deleted all those profiles and never found time to go back and redo. Couldn't have been that important LOL.

Direct Amp modeling changes things, though. I expect it will be much easier to get convincing, baseline profiles of amps without suspect cabinet mic'ing, and to do things like "permanently borrow" OD pedals from friends, etc. :) But for me, that'll just be icing on what the KPA does best: play the profiles I download from Rig Exchange.

• I am at a point where if I buy a profile, it's out of curiosity and/or something to talk about on the forums.

I have so many great profiles, I have more than enough for a life-time.

What I DO find myself doing lately is playing. A lot. More than ever in my life. This KPA has been a real inspiration.

I've even gotten to the point where I play un-plugged when I'm not near my KPA because I know what the KPA will sound like!

What other product has you "using" it when you're not actually using it?

• Like db9091, the usual reason to buy a profile now is curiosity, not because of any tonal need - let's face it, between rig exchange and the commercial guys out there the directions the Kemper has already gone are unlikely to be different from what you can do at home. And from my couple of attempts at profiling, the majority of people out there seem to be better at it than I am ;)

So I guess the reason I would have to profile my two amps would be curiosity and that's a good reason..... I have a Matamp C7 which is an unusual amp that I have a lot of love..... I wouldn't sell it but, on the other hand, I'm not feeling like I'm 'missing out' because I haven't profiled it. I did try shortly after I got my Kemper but the results were not great - my mic technique / knowledge to blame as opposed to the technology ;) I've also got an unusual 12w amp which has the ability to run it as 1w and 6w - it's a kit-build and I did assemble it myself. So at some point I'll give these another go. I must admit to being excited about the 3.0 software because of the ability to profile the amp alone and then use a cabinet from elsewhere, hence removing my poor mic technique from the equation. But I'll be honest - I am so utterly confused by the whole 3.0 thing in terms of 'does it work properly yet' that I have not bothered to invest in a DI box. I'm at the software level and for 'non profiling' it seems fine but there seems to have been so many threads with issues about direct / studio etc that my brain hurts!

• Like db9091, the usual reason to buy a profile now is curiosity, not because of any tonal need - let's face it, between rig exchange and the commercial guys out there the directions the Kemper has already gone are unlikely to be different from what you can do at home. And from my couple of attempts at profiling, the majority of people out there seem to be better at it than I am ;)

Hi Gary,

After reading your post in it's entirety, and given it's context...did you mean to type "...the usual reason to make your own profile now is curiosity, not because...."
    instead of what you originally typed (bolded for emphasis)?

Cheers,
    John