Any plans for a Kemper 2 amp?

• For me the Kemper has already done what I wanted in capturing my studio amps so accurately. It is a lot of fun and the fx section is way better than other live setups I have used before. If you are looking for dual amps, why not treat it like any other amp and buy a second Kemper to run alongside the first one?

If they are going to bring out updated hardware that would have to be considered very carefully, rather than just add a couple of features here and there. Constant hardware updates lower the opinion of a company and makes them look money hungry.

Exactly, karlic.

IMHO, the more years Kemper can squeeze out of the current design, the greater the amount of respect it will demand as the unit becomes ever-more unique in a world where fools everywhere rush to market in money-hungry fits with, comparatively speaking, thought-bubble products who's lifespans are curtailed due to behind-the-scenes developments by the time they hit the shelves.

Sure, there'll always be pressure for the eventual update, but again, IMHO, the bulk of it emanates from those seeking dual-amping, which from where I'm sitting appears to be the only task our beloved beastie isn't capable of. The recurring requests for higher-sample-rate operation are borne out of ignorance of the fact that the D/A converters (and A/D for that matter) are more than adequate for their purposes; there'd be nothing to be gained by, for example, doubling their rates.

An editor application, enhancements to RM and FX updates are all easily accommodated by the existing, original and ground-breaking design... IMHO.

Hold onto your cards Kemper, I say, 'cause you've dealt yourself a combined Full House and Royal Flush!

Welcome to the forum, karlic!

• Constant hardware updates lower the opinion of a company and makes them look money hungry.

I agree. But, at the same time, when was the Kemper released? 5? 6 years ago? I think people are ready for a Kemper 2. And this is coming from someone who got the Kemper about 6 months ago.

• Sure, there'll always be pressure for the eventual update, but again, IMHO, the bulk of it emanates from those seeking dual-amping, which from where I'm sitting appears to be the only task our beloved beastie isn't capable of.

Dual-profiles is not the only reason. The Kemper could use an update on its routing capabilities. Currently, there are routings capable in the Axe FX II and the Helix that the Kemper can't do.

The recurring requests for higher-sample-rate operation are borne out of ignorance of the fact that the D/A converters (and A/D for that matter) are more than adequate for their purposes; there'd be nothing to be gained by, for example, doubling their rates.

Some of us record at higher sample rates for reasons other than just quality. For example, when working on a score for a film or TV, the usual sample rates are 48KHz or 96KHz. It would be very convenient to be able to record directly from the Kemper's S/PDIF I/O without using external hardware to perform SRC. But even for music, there are people who prefer to record at those higher rates for many reasons.

If you're happy with the Kemper the way it is, than don't upgrade. Its as easy as that :-).

An editor application, enhancements to RM and FX updates are all easily accommodated by the existing, original and ground-breaking design... IMHO.

I agree with this.

• I have often wondered how many Axe-FX or Helix owners actually make use of dual/parallel amp models. I mean, when all is said and done, and the rubber hits the road, how many are using this capability during live performances? Something tells me that the answer to this question, expressed as a percentage of users, would be surprisingly low.

• I have often wondered how many Axe-FX or Helix owners actually make use of dual/parallel amp models. I mean, when all is said and done, and the rubber hits the road, how many are using this capability during live performances? Something tells me that the answer to this question, expressed as a percentage of users, would be surprisingly low.

I do!

You can mix a clean amp with a distorted amp, for example. Or have an acoustic tone combined with an electric guitar tone at the same time. At least with the Helix one is capable of doing this. But it would be way better to do that with the Kemper. I like its tone better.

• Helix can also use two cabs (and mics) with just one amp, which is quite nice IMO.

Talking about a Profiler Mk II, Eng. Kemper said years ago that "there will never be a KPA 2". This has always sounded sibylline to me, and I believe the market is ready for a Kemper Profiler Player with all the things that the KPA is missing: higher sample rate, a more complex path for amps and fx, a more versatile routing, sound over USB.

Let's face it: L6' Helix has moved the bar 3 feet higher than it used to be, both in terms of versatility and UI. Sounds (according to users) are second to none, at least not in a way that makes a difference for the millions of average digital guitar players: I believe that a modern-looking (and -operating) player would be even more popular than the Profiler, for a number of (market-wise) obvious reasons.

• Couldn't agree with you more, Gianfranco. The Kemper 1 could still be relevant in that scenario, for people who want to keep making profiles. But a profiling player, with all the features you mentioned AND in a format similar to the Helix would be killer!!

• The Profiler would be extremely relevant at least in any recording studio.
    OTOH, can you imagine a modeller with a user interface and routing à la Helix, fx combinations like an Axe-Fx, synth modules, and 10.000 amp models available? 8o

:thumbup:

• Before getting the KPA, I listened to many audio clips from Helix , AXE II, even though there were many good sounds, nothing to my ears sounded as authentic with realism, punch, clarity, organic mojo , like the Kemper, so it was no surprise that when I tried the KPA and other modelers, KPA still won in the feel department also. the Helix can stack six amps or 4 i'm not sure, but I still to this day haven't heard anything that's comparable to what you hear from GUIDO's profiles, Top Jimi or many of the free profile in the rig exchange. Let's face it, POD X3 and POD farm can have dual amps, to me dual amps is something I can do without.

Clearly dual amps matter to a group of players. I would have bought the KPA without a single effect included, just amp profiles would have been enough, and I bet the majority who buy the KPA are more interested in the quality of amps. It doesn't hurt to have effect, but Kemper's specialty is good authentic amp models. I personally don't like the workstation, everything including the kitchen sink approach. Audio interface, mutli effect, midi controller, all wrapped up in one box,

Bottom line is, Top Jimi Marshalls sound like Marshalls. The best clips from Helix or AXE FX II even thought they sound good, they still sound like toys when compared to many KPA profiles.

I personally think that the improvement should be in the profiling where you can profile the knobs, tone stacks, etc before you even consider dual amps.

• I know that some people love tinkering with patches and equipment generally, but the Kemper's main strength for me has been simplicity. I was amazed at how simple the process of profiling my own amps has been and picking up profiles for amplifiers I couldn't justify buying is a bonus. In fact, I found that weeding out profiles that I don't use and keeping less on the unit means I spend more time playing than tweaking. The fx section is very welcome and covers everything I did before.

If there was one thing I would have liked, it would have been a way of feeding a stereo mix in for monitoring (IEM) and also using the effects loop at the same time. In the end I use a small external mixer for the job.

For dual amping, you could buy two Kempers and still have money left over compared to the competition though. My friend with his Axe FX does get some great sounds, but he always has that grey glow on his face from the computer screen where he spends most of his time!

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I'm not a big fan of dual amping. But can't fail to see how demanded this possibility is, specially in the US players userbase.

As for the tones, it's always hard to evaluate them through a clip. I perfectly remember when people used to say that the Profiler sounded digital and harsh, back in 2011-2012. We could say that many excellent profiles have been made available since then, but the fact is that rigs from 2011 sound not "digital" at all still today, and that the sound engine is the same as then.

I've also heard lots of people saying that they prefer the amps in the Axe-Fx to the Profiler's.
    Those who have been purchasing the Helix say that the tones are excellent, "second to no-one". As for the AX8, they say that the sounds are good, but the UI looks so '80s...

My point is that, as long as roughly the same amount of people praise a certain device sound-wise, it's fair to say that they sound equally good to please a share of the userbase. With the Helix, like with the Profiler or the Axe, it might take a user a while before they find the way to have it play the way they want. So I am not surprised that many try a device and state after a couple of hours (in the good case) that they simply don't like it.

In conclusion, since I was referring to the opportunity for a new Kemper product, I believe that (from a marketing POV) no-one today can disregard the Helix, which is - as a matter of fact - the new standard overall. What we - as Kemper users - think of the Profiler's tones is basically irrelevant for the market.
    Let's acknowledge that the times they are a'changed.

:)

• Obviously, this is my opinion and I know some people will disagree with it. But I currently own both a Kemper and a Helix, and to me they both sound great. However, I like the tones I get from the Kemper a bit more than those I get from the Helix. The Kemper has that extra mojo that makes it sound more organic, and less digital. It's actually something easily perceptible when you compare them side by side. People that haven't done a side by side comparison of the Kemper vs the Helix can't really say that they've compared them. And I see a lot of them in forums comparing devices from memory, which is not a good way to compare anything really. So when it comes to raw amp tones, I give the crown to the KPA.

On the other hand, where the Helix shines is in its format, the UI, features, routing capabilities, etc. I mean, in all of these respects the Helix simply overshadows the Kemper. It is truly the new standard in the amp modeling world, and that is something that the Line 6 team should be proud of. They took it way out of the park, which I hope sparks more great innovations from Kemper. In this respect, yes, the Helix takes the crown.

Technology evolves constantly, so the idea of having a Kemper for 5 more years is not very realistic. As long as there is a balance, and a reason behind it, Mr. Kemper shouldn't feel like he should hold back on innovation. People will understand. That's why I welcome the possibility of a Kemper 2 in the near future, and I hope he is working on it as we speak :-).

• Obviously, this is my opinion and I know some people will disagree with it. But I currently own both a Kemper and a Helix, and to me they both sound great. However, I like the tones I get from the Kemper a bit more than those I get from the Helix. The Kemper has that extra mojo that makes it sound more organic, and less digital. It's actually something easily perceptible when you compare them side by side. People that haven't done a side by side comparison of the Kemper vs the Helix can't really say that they've compared them. And I see a lot of them in forums comparing devices from memory, which is not a good way to compare anything really. So when it comes to raw amp tones, I give the crown to the KPA.

I tend to agree. While I think both the Helix and Axe FX can be made to sound great, it really comes down to how much tweaking you want to spend getting there, in my opinion.

Technology evolves constantly, so the idea of having a Kemper for 5 more years is not very realistic. As long as there is a balance, and a reason behind it, Mr. Kemper shouldn't feel like he should hold back on innovation. People will understand. That's why I welcome the possibility of a Kemper 2 in the near future, and I hope he is working on it as we speak :-).

Assuming the KPA sounds better than the competition in 5 years, I think it'll still be relevant. The Axe FX and Helix already have more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at, yet a lot of people still prefer the KPA because they believe it sounds better.

• I don't have the Kemper, but I'm hesitating about purchase it.

And if the Kemper 2 would release the next month ?

I thought the same thing when I bought my kemper about 8 months ago.then I figured I was looking for Good amp tones that would be the best sound quality for recording or playing live, and if the KPA delivers, I would stop looking for a modeler.
    When I got the KPA , I profiled my amp and it sounded identical for all intended purposes. Based on that I concluded for amp tones, you simply won't get better results period. I'm getting real amp tones that I never even thought were possible, bought a few commercial profiles, and if Kemper II comes out tomorrow, I already have the proper tool and I honestly won't be buying Kemper II. I'm done with amp modeling so why would I worry what others have when I know that I already have something that exceeded my expectation?!

I'm looking for the best quality realistic amp tones, not guitar workstation and I'm not looking for an investment. If KPA II comes out and prices of KPA drops, it will still do the same thing, maybe the pool of available profiles will even increase and we'll have more unique profiles...It's not like buying a guitar and keeping in the case for years only to sell it, digital stuff will lose value at some point, so if I were you I wouldn't worry about it, because all you're doing is missing on the best guitar tones available in a modeler.

The inspiration you get from playing quality realistic sound is worth every penny.
    Now when I jam with records, many times I like the tones coming out of my kemper better than the record. that never happened before with any modeler or even real amps. If you can afford it, life is too short to be playing with inferior tone.

As for the tones, it's always hard to evaluate them through a clip...

Clips give a good idea of the capability of the unit. I only started considering the KPA seriously when I first heard Top Jimi Marshalls, then I heard Guido's Bogner and concluded that a unit capable of such realistic tone is worth trying.

I know I repeat myself but you simply can't find similar tones in the Helix or AXE II, I'd be willing to bet that many of those who ended up with Helix or AXE II would have gotten a Kemper if they had a chance to hear those clips. Guitar players or non guitar players can't ignore the hugely improved realism in the KPA clips, unless they're still plugged into POD Farm or AXE FX and don't want to consider that Kemper has really changed things out there. The change from POD to Helix or AXE II pales in comparison from Pod to Kemper based on my humble experience and opinion. :)

Edited once, last by Dean_R ().