I can't refine enough!!! Never gets the same as reference amp!!!

• Doesn't anybody else have this problem?

I got this problem first time trying the Kemper at home by connecting an Engl preamp directly into it, and no matter how much I did the refining process, there was always some kind of trebley addition to the sound, and a some bottom end was gone too. Every time, I think re-profiled maybe 4-5 times and every time I refined like 10 times each...

So now I am in the rehearsal and am trying to mic up a cab (because that was the main answer in my previous thread, that the Kemper is better at profiling miced up cabs)...
    But I get THE SAME ISSUE HERE! I have tried going with the Engl preamp both through a tube poweramp, and through the Engls own built-in poweramp.
    No matter how much I refine, there is always a slight lack of depth and addition of the same irritating trebley sound.
    It cannot be a faulty unit, because I tried a Lunchbox version first, but then got back and bought myself a Rackmount version and both had the exact same issue.

So what to do now? I will post sound examples when I have access to faster internet again (I'm in rehearsal and its slow as hell)

Actually, I have heard this "additional treble" sound in a couple of "kemper vs real" audioclips on Soundcloud for example... So seems like I'm not alone either!

• How are you comparing the amp vs Kemper? What are you monitoring through? How did you profile the preamp alone? Via DI box? How were you listening back to the resulting profile? Supply as much information as you can, then it'll be easier to help.

• Really? I shoud have thought about that when I still had my shit over at rehearsal... now it's all back at home, haha. Never knew that... Gah!!!

Anyway, I was simply in my rehearsal and I was using headphones for monitoring.

I recorded on my laptop and listened to the results there by first recording the reference amp and then recording the profile - it NEVER sounded similar. Okay it sounded similar, but not exactly the same

Here's a mp3 of the real amp and then Kemper... Double track left and right (I was stupid and didn't notice I was playing sloppy during profile recordings)
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt2r…strealthenkemper.mp3?dl=0

(Keep in mind I don't like this sound myself, because I had to unplug my Multiband Enhancer since the Kemper couldn't "understand it" and the amp without enhancer sounded super boring...)

• To me through the speakers in my screen at work, it sounds mostly like a volume mismatch. Try levelling them and listening again. It might be closer than you think (ps doesn't sound bad at all, either of them!).

Edit : on second listen, it does sound like the Kemper has more upper mids and more saturation somewhere/somehow. I can't listen to mp3s through my monitors whilst I'm working, so I'll have to have a more critical listen later on.

• To me the first half is two doubled tracks well in time, second half two tracks well out of time.
    While sounding about the same, those playing differences make it impossible to tell subtile sound differences.

• actually, they sound very nice indeed. don't know about the original one but this sound I could dig it! nevertheless I reckon the frustration of not getting what someone needs. but hang in there: you'll get what youo search for!

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• Yeah it was my first real profiling session (and 2nd attempt ever) so I have time to learn it better.

And yeah, I'm sorry for the sloppy playing on second half (the profile) because I have an hours bus travel to rehearsal with guitar and Kemper and laptop and everything. So it was a bit clunky to get there, and I couldn't spend all day either.

I guess the sound itself is nice, but not what I was hoping to capture that day. I'm not giving up, but we'll see when I get around for second attempt :)

• I must really be tone-deaf. Those sounded really good to me! Either I like what I'm hearing already, or the OP is going for a sound different from what is being played back on the recording. Or, maybe the sound through headphones that I am hearing is not what is coming back through FOH to the OP.

• I'm glad you guys like it, but it's not really my thing, haha. I want a more fizzy/distorted tone, which I have only found to be possible through the multiband enhancer I have borrowed of a friend.

Now, I haven't tried all combos and effects ever, so I might try some other stuff in the future.

Does somebody know how to make Dropbox links that doesn't need to be downloaded? Like, a dropbox player or something. I KNOW I have seen others post dropbox links that can be played directly, but I dont know how ...

• Cederic,

You are looking for more fizzy tones.
    In another thread you have presented more fizzy tones, that you found digital sounding.
    There was no fellow forum member seconding what you have found.
    This should say something to you.

You should take some off-time to calibrate your ear to state-of-the-art studio sounds that the factory profiles and others represent.
    The new Pure Cabinet feature in our actual public beta software should help you finding a sound that pleases you.

• definitely! because all of the listeners have agreed the sounds are excellent. so I guess mission was accomplished. now on you....

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• With fizzy I don't mean that fizzy sound I talk about in the other thread.

I'm talking the fizzy sound of this (not the "normal sounding" guitar)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could get a similar sound using the multiband enhancer, but I couldn't get Kemper to understand it

this illustrates the futility of the term 'fizz' very well.
    it has no definition, therefore means nothing or can mean anything to anybody.

linked to it is also the fallacy that tube amps automatically sound 'warm' and 'round' - these beasts produce plenty of high frequency content, well above the often quoted 5k, which can be even more pronounced with close mic-ing. plenty of high end and bite has nothing to do with 'digital'.

I'm talking the fizzy sound of this (not the "normal sounding" guitar)

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I could get a similar sound using the multiband enhancer, but I couldn't get Kemper to understand it

That sounds like a distortion pedal or preamp direct to the mixer/input.

• That sounds like a distortion pedal or preamp direct to the mixer/input.

yes it is a distortion pedal, like a cheap fuzz, that you can achieve by hooking a distortion pedal into a home hifi system. check the RE for fuzz pedals and turn the highs and presence all the way up...chance are you get it.

mic

p.s.: with all due respect for Juads Priest this version of Johnny Be Goode really socks! gosh...!

• Yeah you're right, it definitely sounds like it when I think about it.

Also, this was a quite exceggerated example, I don't really need that much "fizz" but something like it, haha.

Regarding the Priest cover; I don't get why people don't like it, I think it's awesome! And Ram It Down is a terrific fucking album.
    Coming from someone who actually likes Turbo, haha. I usually don't like most glam/hair rock from the 80s, but Judas Priest did it in a way I like from some reason