Hi Everyone Joe from the USA here

• Hi Everyone!,
    My Kemper Powerhead profiler is coming in today and I am extremely excited. I am a licensed electrician here in the USA and I finally saved up and bought this unit. I am absolutely thrilled to be part of such an awesome community and now I will finally be able to lay down some serious tracks instead of losing placement of the mics and all the other stuff that gets in the way of inspiration when you are in the moment. My background is I studied electrical engineering and minored (no pun) in music. I play along the lines of Yngiew, Satch, Dave Martone and Jeff Loomis. I have been playing for 14 years and currently I am going through an ENGL Powerball II with an EVH 5150III cab and let me say that is a deadly combo! I can't wait to profile it! The EVH cab is the best I have heard to my ears with the 4 Greenbacks. For guitars I am using an original ESP FR-7 (no an E-II) loaded with Seymour Duncan blackouts by Mike Thompson. (Not a fan of Slipknot) but the pickups have a better low end for 7's plus a better freq response. My other guitars include a rare Schecter Jeff Loomis FR-7S (this is the guitar with the custom graphic and sustainiac), A 1998 Parker Fly Deluxe Majik Blue with a Ghost midi system, Washburn WM526 custom teal with the set neck heal carved away, Charvel 650XL Desert Crackle and finally another Kandy Tangerine 1997 Parker Fly deluxe. I am looking to learn a lot here and any tips I find or packs I will be happy to share.

Thank you to all of you for making music and sharing your rigs!!

• Thanks Guys, it just came via FedEx just a little while ago. This is thing is blowing my mind. Though I have not profiled my ENGL with my EVH cab yet I have been playing around with the rig manager and looking at presets and rig packs. I can't really seem to get it to sound great YET to my speaker cab but through the Rokit 6 monitors it sounds incredible. I did opt for the Powerhead version but I am a little puzzled why I am having a hard time getting a good sound through my cab. I did read something in the manual about activating the "cab driver" by setting monitor off. I read this before I had to turn that off and hook it back up to my cab because I was too excited to hook up to my DAW setup. Well the fun begins!!

• Thanks Guys, it just came via FedEx just a little while ago. This is thing is blowing my mind. Though I have not profiled my ENGL with my EVH cab yet I have been playing around with the rig manager and looking at presets and rig packs. I can't really seem to get it to sound great YET to my speaker cab but through the Rokit 6 monitors it sounds incredible. I did opt for the Powerhead version but I am a little puzzled why I am having a hard time getting a good sound through my cab. I did read something in the manual about activating the "cab driver" by setting monitor off. I read this before I had to turn that off and hook it back up to my cab because I was too excited to hook up to my DAW setup. Well the fun begins!!

Welcome joe

There are 2 ways to look at this problem, :-

1) If it sounds great going through your normal monitors its because that is the full chain of the rig that was profiled. from mics through to amp & speakers etc. - this is called a Studio profile. and is best served via Studio/FRFR Monitors. this is prob what your using. and in some cases they wont translate to a real cab

2) Getting a sound from a real cab means you will need to use a DIRECT Profile (DI) of just the Preamp/poweramp part of the actual amp. - this was a new feature in FW 3.0.

Here are a few tips. - Make sure your on the latest FW version, you got it yesterday, so chances are in might be on a older one. - read the forum updates threads and read the notes that come with it to know how to install.

Download the DIRECT Profiles from Kemper's website (downloads section) - this will get you familiar territory with a real cab

YOu can still use "Studio" Profiles into a real cab, in fact I still do (sometimes) it depends on how it was profiled, and of course the actual speaker cab + driver and even room its in. - you will get there though.. and when you do, its that great feeling. so keep at it!.

Good luck
    Andy

• Hey Joe, whatya doing with that KPA in your hand!?!

lol Sorry couldnt resist...

Welcome from another Newbee... !

No worries cause these guys are alright... ^^

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Thanks to everyone and there warm welcomes!! Andy I have a few questions. 1st would be: I am highly interested in purchasing the "The Studio Monsters Metal Pack", are there any other demo's of these besides just the one on the site? 2nd would be: I see there is a 110 profiles. Are there profiles for a live setup using a power head going directly into my cab? Also for the below. 1) If it sounds great going through your normal monitors its because that is the full chain of the rig that was profiled. from mics through to amp & speakers etc. - this is called a Studio profile. and is best served via Studio/FRFR Monitors. this is prob what your using. and in some cases they wont translate to a real cab. Is there any way to tell if the profile is studio or not? 2) Getting a sound from a real cab means you will need to use a DIRECT Profile (DI) of just the Preamp/poweramp part of the actual amp. - this was a new feature in FW 3.0. I have no idea what this means and have no idea how to determine if these are direct profiles...The first thing I did was load the new FW into the Kemper. I am running 3.1.4.11421 (listed in the system page 17/17 screen) Can you give me a step by step on how to set this up to connect to my CAB and possibly a profile on the exchange for ENGL you think would work best? Download the DIRECT Profiles from Kemper's website (downloads section) - this will get you familiar territory with a real cab. Are yours in the Metal Pack DI profiles? YOu can still use "Studio" Profiles into a real cab, in fact I still do (sometimes) it depends on how it was profiled, and of course the actual speaker cab + driver and even room its in. - you will get there though.. and when you do, its that great feeling. so keep at it!. This whole cab driver thing is DRIVING me nuts. I read on the forums and in the manual and having a hard time grasping the concept. I am new to the whole recording thing and what I think sounds good through my monitors actually sounds like crap and I need some help and explanations on how to hook up properly. Like a step by step guide. From what I understand SPDIF seems to be the way to go but I only have a Focusrite 2i2 which does not have the SPDIF. Looks like I will have to upgrade to a 6i6 to get the SPDIF connection but seems to be lower reviews than the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. I am very confused about levels, outputs etc, monitoring etc..So here we go. Consider I will upgrading to the Komplete Audio 6 and using SPDIF and doing a recording session: P.S I am using Reaper as my DAW and I have an extremely fast i7 pc that I built. What I would like to do is be able to hear the tracks that I punch in and my guitar coming through the same monitors as I only have one set. Connections:1: I will be connecting the Kemper SPDIF out to the SPDIF in of the Komplete Audio 62: Where do I connect my Rokits monitors at this point? Do I connect them to the back of the Komplete Audio 6 labeled Balanced L, R?3: I don't know where to plug in my guitar....Just kidding! lol. Settings Kemper:1: In the Kemper ouput page 1/7 I am assuming the output that should be on is the SPDIF?2: Page 2 not used for SPDIF?3: Page 3 Does the monior cab off stay checked, unchecked or does not matter? 4: Page 4, self explanatory.5: Page 5, What do I do with the SPDIF link checkbox? The Pure Cabinet checkbox? Not quite sure what the Pure Cab output and volume does....The SPDIF volume is self explan.6: Page 6, I am assuming I need not do anything here? The Constant Latency is checked however.7: Page 7, The power amp checkbox is enabled and the boost set to 0. Anything I need to know about this? 8: How should I set levels for master, reg volume etc?Settings DAW:1: How do I setup Reaper in the ASIO section? Is SPDIF stereo L/R? Not quite sure the SPDIF is new to me.2: How do I make the drums (from Double Bass Mania) and the backing come through the same pair of monitors, I will hear the Kemper through all the same time through the DAW and not sound all like mud?3: I know in Reaper there is a little button next to the track that turns on the monitor (looks like a speaker). 4: What levels should I never exceed dB wise when recording to ensure I am not clipping? Other recommendations to make everything sound great. And Andy I am planning on purchasing the Metal Pack because I love my Powerball II! Wow I typed a lot! Any help is greatly appreciated and I send thanks in advance! Oh I also changed in the Kemper the color of the LCD screen etc which I love to a deep blue but when I click and hold like cabinet, Amplifier etc. to bring it into focus the color goes to a light green, why doesn't stay blue??