A couple of ?'s...

• If I get the KPA powerhead, how will the preloaded/community profiles sound if I turn off the cab sim and run it through my Orange 212 cab with V30's? Will this totally ruin the tone, causing me to need to get FRFR's? I'd really like to be able to run it through my cab if possible while retaining tone.

I'll mainly be using it for recording, so I'm debating between the non-powered and powered head. My understanding is that the powerhead will allow me to play through my cab or power studio monitors. Or I could power the non-powered head through another amps power section.

I'm open to getting either one, I just don't want to spend unnecessarily if I don't have to, so I want to make sure I'm understanding all of the differences correctly.

Thanks!

• The Profiles will sound as good as they are, you only change the Cab, si this will color your Sound
    but not in a bad way if you like your cab.
    its like unplugging your for example Fender Amp Speaker and plug the Amp into an other cabinet

with powerhead you can go directly to your cabinet, without buying another amp
    the best thing for me

• Thanks for your answers guys, awesome! Regarding the cab coloring the sound, that's what I was afraid of, as the profile is based off of the amp/cab/and mic. But if it won't color it in a bad way, then that's exactly what I'm after. I want to get the true sound of each amp through my V30's.

If I get a powerhead, I could still use powered monitors, right? I would just disconnect the power source from either the KPA or the monitors and just use one power source?

• if it won't color it in a bad way, then that's exactly what I'm after.

Just to be transparent on this matter, the point is that no-one except you will know if you like the colour of your cab with any possible amp :)
    Do you have any experience of using your cab with different amps?

OTOH, if the V30s fit your style, genre and tone, and you'll be after a certain kind of rigs\amps only, you may end up liking them nevertheless ;) You'll have to give up versatility tho.

HTH

• I would also point out that while the v30 cab colors the sound in a widely acceptible and mostly good way, many other profiles have a different cab that's an integral to the sound of that rig.. Also, in my experience though all studio monitors are designed to be a flat response, they aren't are full range and your not going to get the same sound from 6 inch or even 8 inch speakers as you will a 10 or 12 inch guitar cab. This needs to be kept in mind when using studio monitors.

• In my personal view, the profiles are quite sensitive and I've found that a profile that sounds great through a guitar cab can sound pants through a PA and vice versa. Many sound fine with both but different.
    Therefore if you are asking will a powerhead sound any good through a cab, the answer is yes with the right settings.
    If you are asking will a powerhead sound any good through a PA, the answer is yes with the right settings.
    If you are asking can I easily interchange between the two using the same profiles, I've found not easily.

I hasten to add I am not that experienced with output via PA and only just started experimenting but that is what I've found, to the point that I have set up a direct ( PA) set of profiles dedicated to PA and profiles for guitar cab depending upon what I'm running.

However, I know many people run guiatr cabs and output direct to PA so they may contradict my views...

• In my personal view, the profiles are quite sensitive and I've found that a profile that sounds great through a guitar cab can sound pants through a PA and vice versa. Many sound fine with both but different.

I'd say if a profile doesn't sound good FOH but needs to rely on a physical cab to sound good (with its own cab turned off) it was profiled poorly.

• Another question guys, you've been awesome so far. Off topic, but I didn't want to start too many threads. Is there any interaction a Rivera RockCrusher Recording can have with the KPA? Any power supply, DI profiling, or anything beneficial at all? I saw the thread on DI profiling and it mentioned attenuation and cab sims, so that made me think of the Rivera.

I feel like I'm starting to get lost...

• I'd say if a profile doesn't sound good FOH but needs to rely on a physical cab to sound good (with its own cab turned off) it was profiled poorly.[/quote]

Hmm probably...just that I found some of the best sounding profiles using cabs sound duff FOH BUT could be just my limited experimentation...

• Hmmm...

If somebody dialed in a profile to sound good with their specific cab/speakers/mic, there's no guarantee that you will like it with your particular cab. Tastes differ, and if you switch out a link in the chain, the results will be different.

This is no different than if you have somebody dial in their amp with their cab, and you then plug that amp into your own cab. The results might not be ideal for your tastes...