New to the Kemper (and the usual set of newbie questions)

• Hello everyone, :)

I purchased a Kemper rack unit like a month ago and I'm quite pleased with the way the things are going. However, I'm facing some issues, and I need some information from you advanced users.

- I use a M-AUDIO FastTrack MK2 audio interface to record the Kemper and to listen it (it has a "direct monitor" thingy). I noticed there is a difference between the direct monitor thing and the recorded signal. Recorded signal is quite bad, less defined, and removes all the mojo from my tone. I believe the converters of the FastTrack are not good enough to match the unit. Another thing I noticed as well: the FastTrack is clipping when I push the Kemper volume above 10%. Looks like it removes all the dynamics (and all the fun, in the meantime). I don't know if there is something I can do about it.

I believe I should upgrade my interface, but I don't know which one to go for. Most likely a NI one with the Komplete stuff on it, since it has to go SPDIF and at last 96 kHz 24bits. I guess I would add a monitoring subwoofer to my pair of M-AUDIO BX5 aswell, so I'd better look for at last 3 outputs.

- I noticed that the front "headphones" output sounds nothing like the "monitor" output I use to connect my interface. It sounds saturated, like there is barely no cab emulation... I don't know what is wrong, most likely some kind of fine tuning I'm not aware of. If you could help on that too, it would be great!

- and last but not least, I'm still hunting for the right profiles. I seek things such as full stack Mark V profiles for my Musicman JP6, some "real sounding" vintage Marshall sounds and other vintage amps with pristine cleans and wild crunches. I believe I'll go with the M Britt profiles for the 2 last ones, but I still don't have a clue on where to find the full Mark V thing.

Thanks a lot for your time and your wise advices :P .

• I've found the "Kemper Tutorials" channel on YouTube which is actually a goldmine :).
    Learnt about PureCab and how to set up the input "sense" parameters... I'll give it a shot.

• Welcome tense, also consider wikpa.org :)

@tenSe

Further to your comments regarding upgrading your USB audio interface...

Native Instruments makes some damn fine software, but I am not certain as to their competencies when it comes to audio interfaces, mic preamps and A/D converters. I know a lot of people, here on the KPA forums, swear by Focusrite. If you are looking at an interface that supports S/PDIF, you might want to check out the Focusrite Scarlett 6i6:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlett6i6

Cheers,
    John

• It sounds to me like your interface is expecting an instrument or mic level signal and you're feeding it line level. The converters may not be the best but there's no way you should be getting clipping from the KPA's output if you've got things set correctly. Check whether there's a MIC/LINE control on the interface, either on the hardware or in the software that's controlling it.

The Focusrite interfaces are good, but you shouldn't need to be spending extra cash to fix this.

If you do get a new interface, my experience is that there's no difference between the SP/DIF and analogue outputs in recording quality (I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6), and using SP/DIF from the KPA locks you to a particular sample rate which may be lower than you want for other gear. Better to use the interface's digital input for something like the Audient MICO.

• Hello everyone. Thanks for the tips.

It sounds to me like your interface is expecting an instrument or mic level signal and you're feeding it line level. The converters may not be the best but there's no way you should be getting clipping from the KPA's output if you've got things set…

I think the interface has an "instrument" and a "mic" input, but no such thing as "line level" input. I don't believe I will be able to record, monitor nor reamp correctly with this piece of gear ?(:( .

• That doesn't compute. Line-level inputs are the standard - in most cases, if there's only one flavour of input, it'll be line-level.

This is because it's the most commonly-used standard in the studio. Synths and practically all outboard gear (compressors, limiters, time-based effects, equalisers etc.) employ line-level connections.

• From the pics of the interface that seems the case tho Nicky.
    Unless there's a control in software that allows to switch the Instrument socket to Line level, it seems that this interface accepts mics or guitars only...

[Blocked Image: http://www.strumentimusicali.net/imagesbig/B_MAUDIO_fastrackmk2.jpg]

tenSe: anyway, this is not a critical problem: just set the Profiler's output so that the strongest signal doesn't clip your soundcard.

Note: as for the new soundcard you plan to buy, remember that, in case of a digital connection, the Profiler must be able to act as Master and the card must be able to work @ 44,1 kHz (the only freq currently supported by the Profiler).

• Well, I read the entire FastTrack user manual, and it's not possible to switch from mic/guitar level to line level.
    It's fine, I will try to sell the FastTrack second hand and buy a Focusrite 6i6 instead (second hand aswell). It should cost me around €150, and my Kemper deserves it :).

Now let's try to hunt for that Mark V profile :).

I think I will also try to plug my good ol' FCB1010 MIDI footswitch to the Kemper next week, but I don't know if I can without modifying it (with chips such as UnO or UnO4Kemper...) ?( .

• Now let's try to hunt for that Mark V profile :).

The following commercial vendors have M-B MkV profiles:
    Sinmix, TAF (The Amp Factory), and ChopTones.

I am sure there are others. However, if you are after John Petrucci tones, you should definitely check out the free Mk IIC+ profiles by @djemass (Gerald), here on the forum. Here is a link to Djemass' site, as well as the forum threrad:

http://mark2cplusprofiled.jimdo.com/

http://www.kemper-amps.com/for…im-Piezo-packs-available/

Cheers,
    John

• From the pics of the interface that seems the case tho Nicky.
    Unless there's a control in software that allows to switch the Instrument socket to Line level, it seems that this interface accepts mics or guitars only...

[Blocked Image: http://www.strumentimusicali.n…/B_MAUDIO_fastrackmk2.jpg]

That's a friggin' sin I tell ya, a friggin sin! So the idea is that you plug your guitar and mic in... but what about your drum machine, keyboard or FX unit? Crumpets!

A bloody sin I say. You'd think this one would be up there as a prime candidate for the "Quickest Route to Outgrowing Your Interface" award. Geez. Poor tenSe!

Don't forget the maestro, Guido, John. He's got the Road Queen and MkV.

• Thank you very much, I now use one of these Mark IIC+ profiles as my main lead tone, it's astounding. Amazing clarity, liquid lead tone.
    If you have other ideas for pure and articulate lead tones, suitable for prog and fusion, I'm all listening! ;)