Rate the Transpose feature

• I haven't had a chance to try this feature yet, but I'm hoping to this week. I'm just curious as to what everyone's honest thoughts are on this feature. Right now, my band plays 2 sets tuned to standard 440 tuning, and then another set tuned down 1/2 step to 430. I only use one guitar, and was wondering if the transpose feature is solid enough to not need to have to tune the guitar between 440/430 anymore. Similarly, how well would it work if I were playing in standard 440, and then wanted to take the entire guitar down 1 whole step to D? I wouldn't need anything lower than that.

Again, I'm looking forward to trying it. But just curious as to what everyone's opinions on it are, or if you have any tips. I do plan on using the effect in the Stomp A position as I'm guessing any pitch type of effects would sound best early in the chain.

• My honest opinion: The Transpose feature is about as good as the Korg Pitchfork pedal. It's certainly not a transparent effect but with the whole band playing you might be able to get away with it. Out of three sets (36 tunes) I used the Transpose feature on two songs (one song tuned up 3 half steps, the other down a whole step) and it was fine. Cheaper than buying a new guitar just to play two songs.

Not sure I would have played a whole set like that, but then I am an annoying perfectionist with OCD.

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• My honest opinion: The Transpose feature is about as good as the Korg Pitchfork pedal. It's certainly not a transparent effect but with the whole band playing you might be able to get away with it. Out of three sets (36 tunes) I used the Transpose feature on two songs (one song tuned up 3 half steps, the other down a whole step) and it was fine. Cheaper than buying a new guitar just to play two songs.

Not sure I would have played a whole set like that, but then I am an annoying perfectionist with OCD.

Well I appreciate the honesty because I'm the exact same way. I put much more time and effort into my tone than anyone in a cover band really should worry about. My hunch was that it wouldn't be good enough for an entire set. But, if it's serviceable enough to allow me to go from standard 440 down 1 whole step for a couple songs a night, that'd be great. Thanks a lot Motley Crue for recording 90% of your songs down 1 whole step!

• Thanks a lot Motley Crue for recording 90% of your songs down 1 whole step!

Ha! Precisely why I bought the damn Pitchfork, to play a couple of Crue tunes. They went over so well we couldn't in our right minds drop them from the set.

When I replaced my entire rig (amp and pedalboard) with the Kemper, I was so happy it had the Transpose feature. And honestly it did a fine job. You and I know and hear the difference, but the 100 drunks in the crowd could not care less about my tone. :)

Husband, Father, Pajama Enthusiast

• Ha! Precisely why I bought the damn Pitchfork, to play a couple of Crue tunes. They went over so well we couldn't in our right minds drop them from the set.

When I replaced my entire rig (amp and pedalboard) with the Kemper, I was so happy it had the Transpose feature. And honestly it did a fine job. You and I know and hear the difference, but the 100 drunks in the crowd could not care less about my tone. :)

What - only 100 drunks in the crowd? You are not playing to the right audience - are they all project managers and/or ISO 9000 auditors like myself? ;) Sorry - couldn´t resist - let´s keep this at the right pitch - probably fallen on deaf ears 8)

• I tested it out tonight at low volume. Seemed to be pretty decent. I'll test it this weekend at gig level volume, but so far it's looking good. There didn't seem to be any severe latency issues that'd prevent me from using it for a song or two. Very cool!

• I can't use it. Too much latency for me, specially audible on clean tones where the attack is more pronounced. If I start arpeggiating I get lost quite soon because latency takes me away, specially with complex rhythmic figures.

• I actually push it a bit. I use it on guitar to drop to A for a song recorded on a baritone. It's glitchy, has latency and warbles, but it's still useful for my rhythm strumming. I also own the pitchfork which is a little better IMHO, at least for a 5th drop. The best one I played was the Whammy DT, but it was too large for my board. That was noticeably better than both Kemper and the EH.

Improving the Kemper's Transpose function would be very near the top of my development wishlist.

I hate emojis, but I hate being misunderstood more. :)

• I actually push it a bit. I use it on guitar to drop to A for a song recorded on a baritone. It's glitchy, has latency and warbles, but it's still useful for my rhythm strumming. I also own the pitchfork which is a little better IMHO, at least for a 5th drop. The best one I played was the Whammy DT, but it was too large for my board. That was noticeably better than both Kemper and the EH.

Improving the Kemper's Transpose function would be very near the top of my development wishlist.

This is really interesting information. The pitch fork is better than the Kemper transpose? And the Whammy DT is even better? If you have the pedals would you mind posting some clips? Would appreciate it, thanks!

• I've used the Kemper's transpose feature and would agree that it's decent enough whilst not perfect.
    I have found the pitch transpose in the Digitech GSP1101 rack unit a little better than the Kemper one - probably taken straight from the Whammy. What an amazing bargain the GSP1101 is!

• The Roland GK-3 pickup, when connected to a VG-88,99, or GR-55, functions like a Line 6 Variax when you want to transpose. It does not pitch shift your actual guitar tone. The six individual string signals are processed with Guitar Modeling to create the sounds.

I was actually looking at the cheapest option, the Boss GP-10, though I would really want the midi out of the GR-55 for experimentation with synth engines.

So how is the variax? I've heard some good things and some bad things. It doesn't sound like a guitar, but if I want different tunings, would this be a better route to take than a transpose pedal? Even for things like one octave down across all strings? What really intrigued me was the ability to mute strings, which I find quite difficult to do effectively using just a low pass filter.

@djemass I know you put variax electronics into your musicman. Care to enlighten me on how well the string tunings work?