Kemper finally!

• Excited to finally be a part of the crew.

I've had this power head and remote for about a week. I have a few tube amps (18 watt Marshall, ac15, vibro champ) and pod hd, plus all the vsts. Tons of pedals.

My first impressions. Positive first.

Way better than any digital modeler I've ever had. No digital distortion or internal clipping issues.

The rest.

Granted. I've been mostly monitoring thru akg 240 and Sony mdr 7506 cans. Sadly. But I haven't been able to take it to the studio and hook up to my cabinet.

The manual didn't seem as thorough considering how complex this thing gets. A lot of the tones are a bit harsh and brittle with my sg p90 and hand wound tele pickups. Ok with humbuckers. Thoughts on that?

It's plug and play to an extent but man, it seems like I've again spent quite a bit of time having to dig down to advanced levels.

The difference in tones from the amps is small enough to me that I feel I don't really need all it has. I kind of wish they would come out with a kemper junior. Just does a bunch of stuff I don't need. I'm not using it for any super heavy music. Mostly indie rock, rock, pop, funk/rnb. I'm into vintage type sounds. I purchased the Michael Britt stuff as well.

Setting up a bunch of rigs in performance that compliment each other for running through various gain stages has proved a bit tricky. The stomp box effects don't really seem very impressive which leaves me having to use different amps for different gain stages. And there's thousands of them profiled with soooo many different variables.

I would love some thoughts. I'm still within the return policy for a few more weeks. I'd love to minimize the tweaking which I've already spent quite a bit of time.

Ideally this thing would replace my amps in a live situation thru my 2x12 with vintage 30 with line going to FOH. And of course to play at home without bothering the kids.

Thanks and hopefully I'm not sounding negative but definitely struggling with this thing.

• Welcome!

Look in my signature for link to the manuals. There are several ones, among others both a basic manual and the REFERENCE manual which delves deeper. That's probably what you're lacking right now.

Regarding harsh/brittle sounds with p90s and tele pickups: The profiles you're using were likely of amps that were dialed in for humbucking tones. Or alternatively, your tastes are more toward darker sounds than the tastes of those who made the profiles you've tried. The kemper represents the amp which it profiled, so if it was dialed in in a way that you don't like - you won't like the resulting profile either. You can still tweak (apart from the EQ and gain knobs on the front try holding in the "amp" button on the front and scroll to the sides with the arrow keys till you see the Definition knob. That might help you).

Lastly, hold off judgement until you can compare apples to apples with what you're used to.

• Welcome.

Just mess around with some settings (gain, definition and eq.) I am sure you will not be disappointed. The kemper is simply great and more versatile than just one amp..

Have fun.

Edited once, last by Deej09 ().

• Last part particularly since you have only used 2 different sets of CANs to hear it. In my experience, not all cans sound good with the KPA. And though the Headphone tap is good, even my best isn't as good as through my Monitors or FRFR wedge.

As mentioned, tweak those RIGs, both with the front facing knobs, or, as mentioned above, by pressing the amp button and tweaking parameters there.

• Welcome! Sort the rigs on RE by Amp Manufacturer and or Amp Model then preview some skip the ones that don't sound good to you right off the bat. Anything that makes you stop and listen, just tweak a bit and you're off and running. To many profiled amps out there to not find something to your liking. Good Luck!!

• Welcome!

As indicated above, the Definition control in the Amp Stack parameters is an effective way to match a rig to a guitar. BUT, they will sound different with your guitar cab. Use the Monitor EQ to tweak the sound of your cabinet.

If you aren't using Rig Manager to audition sounds, I suggest installing it on your computer, and using it. It makes auditioning rigs very easy.

Volume balancing Performance Slots is very difficult to do with headphones, unless you volume balance one clean and dirty sound through the cabinet you are going to use, at stage volume. Then, you can balance other clean and dirty rigs to the two you have "standardized".

• The manual didn't seem as thorough considering how complex this thing gets.

As Michael suggested, I reckon you've only seen the hard-copy one included in the box. You wanna get comprehensive? The reference manual will not disappoint.

That said, and as has been suggested, I'd definitely experiment with the amp parameters, Definition being my fave. Maybe try holding off on EQ 'til you're satisfied with your tweaking of said parameters, then hit it if necessary. Works for me.

Welcome to the family, EightWives. ;)

• Hey buddy!

I try my best to help as many Kemper users out there as I can, along with making video content on YouTube reguarding tutorial, demonstrations and inspiration on how to get what you want out of it. I tried messaging you privately but didn't have any luck as for some reason it says you're not allowed to participate in conversations.

Message me if you can or alternatively you can hit me up on Facebook at Benjamin Bullett Mortlock. I truly believe it's a matter of finding profiles that really work for you. I'm fortunate enough to have tried hundreds from different sources and sellers (I still have heaps of content to make on different creators). Each profile can have a different feel that may not feel or sound right for you that's what we're all here to help with!

As people have said there are heaps of things you can dive into to tweak it and personally this bombarded me a bit and I got frustrated when trying to make it do what I wanted. So decided it would be great to try and help people as much as possible and inspire them!

Be patient with it and along with the community here and other sources. I'm sure you will be able to find what you're looking for. If you are interested in seeing whether any of my work may help you, I'll link the channel! http://www.youtube.com/playlis…GDkZZ8pAx8j0ggeTH7zK2RTtH

All the Best!
    Bullett.