Native WAV IR support!

• 100% agree. I was in constant contact with Kemper support and Hans tends to answer very quickly. Just keep in mind that Kemper support is for the Kemper and not IR's. Meaning if they were created correctly, length, etc. In the end I gave up and went back to using Kemper cabs. And you know what? It was the better move as they sound way more dynamic than static IRs. You just have to find ones that suit your needs and tweak them in post. All of this, as usual, is just my opinion.

Funny because on the whole my experience is exactly the opposite. With VERY few exceptions, I pretty much automatically change the cab because I dislike the sound of the cabs that came with the profile. I tend to try and buy/get DI profiles now rather than merged/studio for exactly that fact.

The quality difference has only come to light recently as I was auditioning a bunch of IR's in Logic prior to making a selection to convert and had settled on a few that worked for me and then was surprised by the difference when I loaded them on. thought it was maybe a hickup in the conversion process so did some a/b-ing and found that not to be the case.

I think I have a pack from Tone Junkie TV and a BE100 profile that I've left alone. Everything else (ToneHammer, The Amp Factory, Britt have all had cabs replaced).

• If this was the global try to disable it instead of taking it to zero because it might still be doing something to the signal.I know this might be a silly question, but do you happen to have any effect in the Kemper (post cab) that's enabled?

Also, don't forget that you can create a support ticket and contact support directly and they will answer you so you don't have to wait for them to read your post. as they might not get to every single post on this forum,

Dean_R
    Not to worry, found out how to do it.

Thanks for the advice.

Matt

• Looks like I caused some offence in forum rules on this thread, so apologies to all. The comment was in response to something else, but it was drifting off topic too far.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Hi!

I did some tests with 500ms IRs, loading them into the KPA, a Torpedo Vb101 and a IR loader in the DAW and IMO there is no difference between the Kemper converted IR and the one loaded into the DAW plugin if both are the same length. There were differences when comparing the one loaded into the KPA with the 500 ms IR loaded into the plugin, but I wouldn’t say that the one loaded into the plugin was better. It was just different. IMO the one loaded into de Kemper was working better in a mix.

• Does CabMaker really mangle them, Matt? I know it uses a shortened form of the originals, but Kemper's implementation, at least the inner workings thereof, is an unknown quantity, isn't it?

Whenever I've tried converting IRs to Kemper cabs they sound worse. Every time

Also; I have compared commercial ones too:

Rosen Digital IRs sounds pretty good, but their Kemper versions, sounds weird.
    It's obvious they have just "mangled them" through CabMaker and included in the IR pack.

It's sad, because CabMaker could be an absolutely amazing feature if it just worked better. :)

(Yes, my "pure cab" is OFF. I never really use it.)

• @Cederick I do not think there is anything wrong with the cabmaker. Its just that most people do not read the manual for it and follow the specs needed. My issue was creating an IR that would match the specs. Hence I gave up. Kemper support was not able to help me beyond the Kemper and not IRs. Although they were very nice offering suggestions.

• Not sure what DI profile means here, is it the profile from the tube amp Direct out if the amp has it or the FX Loop? Those type of profiles are Preamp only and don't include the power amps section, they can sound good for sure but they're not what most guitar player would perceive as "tube amp" that includes preamp and poweramp.
    I would ask the seller specifically what they mean by DI profile before I buy. To use the whole amp with IR, Merged Profiles with cab disabled will do the trick because they're tapped from the Speaker out that goes into an external Direct Box that feeds the Kemper.

Dean_R
    Possibly miss use of terminology. I meant direct profiles that are taken of the amp that don't involved cabs and as far as I'm aware you can do it via a loadbox/DI unit such as the Two Notes Torpedo range (I confess I don't profile so my knowledge is sketchy). These are full fat profiles but don't come with cabs.

• UPDATE:

So last night, following I believe Dean_R's direction I actually disabled the Pure Cab in the Output section and voila!!!
    The cab IR in the Kemper is now as close as damnit to the IR as played back in the loader in my DAW.

Now pretty happy. I mean there is still differences but they are minimal now so the cab is now functional.

I still think support for higher resolution longer IRs in native WAV format would make absolute sense in Kemper.

• Well, whaddaya know. Awesome, Matt!

My argument since the very-first response in the thread (post #2) was that there shouldn't be "considerably-less detail". Gratifying to hear of your success, mate.

Thanks man. Yeah it was a relief to get it close enough so I can focus on playing and writing and nailing the tone (had two sets of new pick ups fitted so having a bit of a tweakathon) rather than all the missing details in the cab.

Massive thanks to all the inputs from everyone!!!