Noise gate -Global verse as a stomp?

• About 1 month into my Kemper experience I am getting 90% figured out. Until today I have been using what I will refer to as the 'Global' noise gate on the front of the unit. Today I loaded a high gain monster gain profile and noticed there was a gate in the stomp section. I turned the 'Global' gate down and allowed the one in the stomp section to do it's thing with great results.

Can someone explain the relationship between what I am calling a 'global' gate and the stomp section gate and where they are best used with hi verse low gain settings?

• Watch this

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• @PETERFR Thanks! What is not covered is when you go to the higher gain profiles -say I am starting with a Diezel profile and using a drop D metal tone what is the relationship and order of the two gates?
    Would you dial back the 1st gate to let the stomp gate be primary or use them together? If together what is the best method?

Up until last night I know I have been gating the initial one too hard which effects my tone.

• I say use more of the stomp in that scenario.

I pretty much don't use the global gate at all these days.

This.
    And there is a big differnce which profiles you use. On RE you'll find good high gain profiles but many of them comes with a lot of noise. If you cant handle it with a noise gate maybe look for another profile.

• I recently got my toaster head and encountered the same question about the input noise gate vs stomp noise gate effects.

I have a wide variety of styles I play in so switching from volume knob riding and tube screamers to high gain chugs is normal for me.

The input noise gate is IMO not really worth using. If you volume knob ride, switching your volume from full to around half will let in more noise which leads to you turning up the input noise gate knob. Turn that up too high and your attack and sustain will immediately start to drop and have a weird "wah ish" effect (imagine a talk-box but with your pick attack closing off constantly).

The noise gate stomp effects are way cleaner and remove noise regardless of your volume knobs position, so if you need noise gates I highly recommend using the stomps. :thumbup:

• The input noise gate is IMO not really worth using. If you volume knob ride, switching your volume from full to around half will let in more noise which leads to you turning up the input noise gate knob. Turn that up too high and your attack and sustain will immediately start to drop and have a weird "wah ish" effect (imagine a talk-box but with your pick attack closing off constantly).

The noise gate stomp effects are way cleaner and remove noise regardless of your volume knobs position, so if you need noise gates I highly recommend using the stomps. :thumbup:

Very interesting thank you. Metal and high gain is not my style of music, but even then I get troubles sometimes with the noise gate in front. Yes it can change the release of the notes I will use the stomp noise gate to test.

• Would there ever be a reason to put a gate in the post Effects section?

My main rhythm tone is pretty high-gain, and without gating it's a noisy disaster. I run a gate in front that does most of the work, but I also run one in the post section to do a little bit more cleaning up, but it's primarily there to make sure that I get absolutely no feedback unless I want it. I find that just the gate in front isn't totally sufficient. I see it like running a physical gate like the G-String or Zuul, where they run both in front and in the loop.

• I just set the Input global gate so there is no noise coming from the guitar when strings are muted (git volume on 10 and normally on the bridge pickup). Effect slot gate added as needed on a rig by rig basis depending on what drives/fuzz's are in the slots ahead.

Works like a charm. Really, I only ever feel the need to adjust the input gate when changing between extreme different guitars (like switching from an overwround HB equipped guitar, to a low output single coil player).

Glad there is a big dedicated knob for it. Good thinking from Kemper imo. As it's so accessible it only takes 2 seconds to trim out any locally induced pickup noise, and you're good to go without having to touch any deeper profile settings to deal with the environment.

• I never use the Noise gate Stomps. In fact, I could quite happily never use the global noise gate either but end up doing so 'cos its there.

I set the global noise gate as low as possible to to just remove the noise floor from the profile itself (with guitar volume turned to 0) which usually needs a setting of around 1.5 at most.

However, I don't play super high gain and don't want a noise gate as an effect (i.e. to deliberately cut notes short and make chugga chugga sound really tight). Persoannly, I just don't like what they do to sustain and attack. That isn't a criticism of the Kemper gates though which seem to work as well as anything I have tried. I have a Boss NS 2 and an ISP Decimator ProRack G. I can't stand either of them. I occasionally used the Pro Rack G with a Mesa Triaxis (until I finally got the tTriaxis serviced and found out I don't need it :) ) but even the Pro Rack G just kills tone and sustain for me.

• @Wheresthedug Totally agree. It will always affect sustain as the volume drops and threshold kicks in.

For high gain you definitely need them so I have mine on all the time, but reluctantly. I always try to set them as low as possible and they preform as well as a decimator ( I had a G" and an MXR smart gate previously).

• I never use the Noise gate Stomps. In fact, I could quite happily never use the global noise gate either but end up doing so 'cos its there.

I set the global noise gate as low as possible to to just remove the noise floor from the profile itself (with guitar volume turned to 0) which usually needs a setting of around 1.5 at most.

However, I don't play super high gain and don't want a noise gate as an effect (i.e. to deliberately cut notes short and make chugga chugga sound really tight). Persoannly, I just don't like what they do to sustain and attack. That isn't a criticism of the Kemper gates though which seem to work as well as anything I have tried. I have a Boss NS 2 and an ISP Decimator ProRack G. I can't stand either of them. I occasionally used the Pro Rack G with a Mesa Triaxis (until I finally got the tTriaxis serviced and found out I don't need it :) ) but even the Pro Rack G just kills tone and sustain for me.

Thats very interesting I will adjust mine and test more ... thanks

• @Gforce guitar that the trade off I think - a bumpy transition when the volume tails off, therefore affecting sustain vs silence during quiet bits. Play Highway to hell without a gate and you get all sorts of noise....perhaps that's why Angus plays with so little actual gain :)