That 'at the back of the room' tone...

• I made a first attempt at this tone with a Hall Reverb, Mix 100%/40% (so that you get more of the wet signal and less of the dry signal), then predelay at 0m since you want the "back of the room" signal to happen at the same time you are strumming the chords.

• It's generally a good idea to dispense with long 'verb tails except where necessary for effect.

I'd recommend employing the early-reflection component of a 'verb algorithm or if using an IR, dialling the "length knob" back 'til the tail is removed, leaving only the early reflections.

The thing is, you don't want to muddy up your mix. Slap some long tails on various instruments here and there and the integrity / definition / "intelligibility" of other instruments will suffer. It's therefore sensible to ensure that not too much else is going on in passages where tails are used for artistic effect.

• I love distant mic'd sounds, in fact you always get some of the real room in any real amp recording, listen to the sound of You Shook Me All Night Long, or any classic rock track and you'll hear copious amounts of room noise, the further back you go the further the mic's got from the amps, and to my ears the better it sounds. It requires different technique and sounds to avoid muddying things up but no-one said guitar has to be easy.

I really hope that the Kemper new verbs will include something for dealing with this particular sort of sound. The "space" verb is more of an early echo and gives you a very shiny walled sound, ok for some Pink Floyd and 70's punk sounds, but quite limited elsewhere, the current inbuilt verbs are more akin to Lexicon style studio reverbs, very smooth and lush but not really natural sounding at all. Ideally I'd like to just profile my amp and have a verb included in the profile to match the sound of my space.

Distant Mic'd sound is an Achilles heel of every amp sim out there. You can get much closer with an IR though that's best with Nebula, but the downside to IR's for me not convolved with Nebula is that to my ears the standard convolution function alone sounds a little synthetic and over-smooth too, I think because of the nature of that process too it eliminates harmonic resonances. Maybe some sort of hybrid verb would solve it.