Live sound: How to simulate my guitar in the 'center' when I'm actually panned hard 'left' (or right)?

• 4 piece band, 2 guitar players.

Myself, and the other guitar are typically panned left and right by the sound engineer. I'm sure he doesn't HARD pan, but I'm also sure he doesn't no doubt one guy is predominantly in their own speaker.

If I'm running my Kemper DI to FOH in mono, is there a way to draw my guitar to the center when I'm performing a solo?

If I merely "boost" my volume, I'm (presumably) only boosting the speaker that I'm panned to, instead I'd like to pull myself to the center when the 'solo' tone is engaged.

Does that make sense? Or am I overthinking it? Is there an effect that'll do this? Or what do you guys recommend?

Thanks!!!!!

• Is the sound engineer on break when time for your solo? Tell him to put you center. ;)

Seems like a boost is all you need. I wouldn't think it's necessary to go center in a live situation.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Is the sound engineer on break when time for your solo? Tell him to put you center. ;)

Seems like a boost is all you need. I wouldn't think it's necessary to go center in a live situation.

Haha that's the problem! Some sound guys are awesome and "on it", and some venues the guy sets levels and leaves.

Those things I cannot control, which is why I'm looking for a solution that I can control.

Does the Kemper have any capabilities that simulate this?

• If the soundman makes the decision to pan the guitars, he is responsible for panning it back to center for a solo. Depending on how similar your tones are, there is possibly no real need to pan them like that.

With two guitars in the band you should be playing in slightly different frequency ranges. One should be a little heavier in the low end and the other a little heavier in the high end. That eliminates the need for the panning, unless you have amps on stage pumping out sound. Then you need to pan to balance that out front.

The only other way is to run stereo and morph your tong back to center. Then you are responsible for making sure your rigs are panned the way they need to be.

• Aside from asking if the Kemper can magically move the pan knob on the mixing desk, then the other suggestions are to artificially load one side of the stereo image to try and balance the sound.

This would be unpredictable and I would assume that the sound engineer would then try to compensate (as he wants a stereo pan).

You need to tackle the root cause - talk to the sound engineer as he ultimately has the master control of your FOH sound.

• I think you're overthinking it.

For a variety of reasons, most of us get caught up in the panning of guitars but how many times have you played in/heard bands that aren't putting the guitars through the PA, with two guitarists wide apart and wished the solos were panned to the centre?

I always suggest keeping a narrow stereo width live but if you set your profiles well, it won't matter.