Per collection thread

• Shame the voice isn’t good enough to be that far forward, but it’s clear sounding and you’re right that to me sounds about where a voice would be mix level-wise on more polished tracks.

It's more than its' being clear-sounding brother; it's melodically-intelligable.

Also, I do feel your voice is easily good-enough.

It's chalk and cheese brother:

It's the difference between being able to instantly hear the melodies you're singing from across a room and having to listen closely and strain your brain to figure out what's being sung (melodically-speaking). As a bonus, the sibilance doesn't sound so out-of-place in this case either 'cause it's integral to the overall "instrument" as opposed to being something that pokes out of, what is usually for me, a barely-discernible "essence of voice".

The fact that you wrote the melodies yourself, I'm betting, may be giving you a false impression as to said melodic intelligibility when employing your usual vox-recording M.O.

When I say chalk and cheese, I'm honestly not exaggerating.

• Per, your voice is absolutely fine, I hate my own voice too but it does the job just like your does.

I've sang backing vocals for years professionally and I'm OK at that but don't have a lot of character to my lead singer voice with out

real effort. Yours has plenty of character, keep going mate.

• I agree about vocals. I think you only need some light polishing to make it radio ready. I remember when you first started putting vocals to tunes that your voice was hiding behind the front. Now that you've come more forward, I want to hear more volume because your voice is becoming it's own instrument.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks Monkey_Man  spottydog10 and BayouTexan for the kindly words of encouragement.

I don't know if you guys all follow Rick Beato on YouTube, worth a look if you don't. But I remember in his interview with Sting he talks about voice intelligibility and how he could hear Stings voice on the radio no matter how quiet or loud the vehicle he was in, Sting responded that it's about the register comparing himself to metal singers who all sing very high. Of course high for a voice is upper mids, so it makes sense.

• External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Pretty complete Per, nice one. Sounds familiar to me from the style but I would not have a name of artist or band to compare it to. Potentially I have heard much of your brilliant stuff and just consider it very Per-ish now :thumbup:8)

• Nah nah, I just mean if my stuff is starting to sound familiar then that probably means I’m being too comfortable, too lazy and not pushing myself to learn more and get out of the comfort zone, it’s good to remind myself and try to not get in a rut, a large part of why I do daily sketches is to improve so I need to challenge myself.

Love that.

• Thanks spottydog10 and Monkey_Man ! I don’t really know anything about math rock so I was probably thinking Everclear and Primus with a little Captain Beefheart, though to be honest it’s not like I really know much of their stuff either except they liked spanky cleans and atonal voicings, so it’s more my mind retroactively trying to find points of reference.

Nice raking guitar parts in there Per, right down to the chromatic run down. Sounds brilliant