compressor confusion

• Hi guys,

after initially putting my rig together in 2015, I haven't really touched any of the controls.

Now back to creating new sounds for a new band...

One thing I still strongly dislike about the Kemper is dialling compressors :cursing:

I know how to dial studio compressors and of course it's even easier with a CS-3.

I keep going back to the manual to try to figure out what the knobs do...

From the manual.

Squash

This gives you control over the dynamic behavior of the compression. At the center position the compressor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings’ decay, resulting in less squash. When you turn it more to the right, the first phase of the strings´ decay gets squashed, and the volume sags. You will notice that the compressor recovers from squashing when you let the strings decay further - even boosting the sound a little, compared to when you hit the strings. Now, the compressor becomes noticeable!

“Squash” does not change the compression ratio, as this is always infinite on vintage stomp compressors.

WHAT happens left of center (negative values) and right of center (positive values)?

Please explain how I can move from center towards zero?!?!

"

At the center position the compressor will work as you expect. When you turn “Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings’ decay, resulting in less squash."

The manual does not say what happens left of center....

I wish there were normal, traditional controls instead of these i-controls ;)

perhaps even an opto and VCA mode ;)

At the very least the manual should be more clear what part of the envelope gets compressed at which setting, imho

• Ok, so now that I know that zero means left of center :thumbup:

“Squash” towards zero, the compressor will emphasize the first phase of the strings’ decay, resulting in less squash"

So does that mean that the early part of the envelope remains unaffected by the compressor?

If so, how is that different from a longer attack (=higher number value) in the attack parameter ?

• I have spend a ridiculous amount of time wading through the forum to find what the controls do. Seems nobody (including the mods) actually do. The explanation for "squash" is usually just copy/paste from the manual...

If anyone knows what it does, please let me know.

I would love an explanation of what the controls actually do to the ADSR envelope. A small update of the reference manual would be welcome ;)

• I have 3 main use-cases for a guitar compressor, what would be sensible settings for those:

1) obvious clean compression a la "another brick in the wall"

2) funky/snappy compression a la Nile Rodgers

3) fatten up a slightly anemic Tele: Let the "snap" through but fatten up the decay/sustain a little for say crunchy country rhythm sound

• from my understanding:

when you leave the attack and squash alone, you get Dynacomp like compression with the intensity, from 0 to middle position it´s slamming the transients, from middle position upwards you get also upward expansion (soft parts get louder).

the attack is just how fast the effekt kicks in and how much of the transient gets through. however, consider the mix knob on the next page, and from the manual, in CK words:

" Another typical application is to emphasize the attack of the picked strings with the Attack parameter. In the PROFILER, you should use the Pick parameter in the amplifier module to achieve this effect."

the Squash in middle position does nothing. to the left it leaves a bit of the signal after transient before the compression starts, more to the right it´s more the way the strings decay, all to the right you can hear it bring up the volume of the decaying string.

• i think the controls are not really self-explanatory and slightly cryptic. I know of no other compressor on the market that has the same labels.

If they were labelled the usual parameters, threshold, ratio, attack-time, decay-time it would make more sense.

I guess the ideal solution would be to create an additional compressor (after all we have various chorus/delays/reverb types) that fulfils this gap.

Blimey, if there is room for the new "tone stack" i'm sure a "standard compressor" wouldn't be out of the question or one that could simulate other compressors just like the kemper-drive can replicate all those boutique overdrive pedals.

Oops, was that on the forthcoming new toys list tba....?

• Sidechained to what? Normally you would use a different input signal (like a kick drum etc) to trigger the side chain.

I guess if it's stated like that, it is most likely a high pass filter on the internal sidechain.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• It changes the behavior of the decay. Turning left you have a more natural decay where the volume is emphasized at the beginning and then decays. Turning right it compresses more the first part of the decay and releases the second part, to the point that the volume of the tails (letting the notes ringing) even rises

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better