Clean tone issues

• Hi guys, i've been struggling with this for quite some time ... I need to increase the amp volume of my cleans sound +4-5 dB in order to get enough loudness to compete with my high gain sounds ... these crunch and rock sound all have the amp volumes at 0 db ... the rig volumes are at - 2db ... I played with clean sense but even in this case strumming hard will clip the output.

Is the only way to overcome this to lower the amp volume of the higher gain sounds to -5 dB or so and leave the clean amp ones on 0dB

Really curious what you guys think of this ...

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Strange. I run my clean sense a -5 to -6db in order to stop it over powering the high gain sounds.

To me it felt that such settings took away the sparkle of the tone ... softens it a bit .

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• In my small monkey brain, clean sounds are much more dynamic than distorted sounds.

When you pick a clean sound the waveform will have a giant peak and then settle down very fast to a small ringing of the string. Think of the peak as high as it can go 1.0. The soft ringing of the string will be around .01.

A distorted sound has no massive peak. It may peak at 1.0 but then it will settle down to .75.

So you have a volume difference of .01 compared to .75. Or the distorted sound is 75x louder. We dont hear linearly so it wont seem 75x louder.

The only options you have are:

- to reduce your high gain sounds so that your clean sounds are not elevated to a point of clipping.

- Add compression to your clean sounds. This will reduce the difference between the large peak 1.0 and the soft ring or .01. You may get it closer to the distorted difference of 1.0 and .75.

• It is not your monkey brain. That is exactly how it works. The distorted sounds are compressed. If you want the clean sounds to work like the distorted sounds, put a compressor on them. If you record them in your DAW you can see this in the waveforms.

• I always increase the rig volume on the clean profiles to about +6.0 db.

I increased that as well, always wondered if the rig volume has the same impact as amp volume in that matter ...

I guess a combination of lowering the amp (or rig) volumes on the higher gain tones, increasing the ones for clean, play a bit with the clean sense and compression should do the trick lol

Raf

• I increased that as well, always wondered if the rig volume has the same impact as amp volume in that matter ...

I guess a combination of lowering the amp (or rig) volumes on the higher gain tones, increasing the ones for clean, play a bit with the clean sense and compression should do the trick lol

Raf

Amp and Rig volume are identical unless the amp is followed by an Effect that is level dependent (compressor or drive for example)

• Amp and Rig volume are identical unless the amp is followed by an Effect that is level dependent (compressor or drive for example)

So rig is at the end of the chain, amp obvious after amp and before the cab ...

Raf