Fly/backup/rehearsal rig

• Thinking of treating myself to something (GAS) and its a pain to take my full rig to rehearsal plus as an emergency backup at a gig ( to replace my Sans amp which I tested again recently and doesn't really sound that good), so was looking at a few options.

I started with the tech 21 fly rigs ( Ritchie Kotzen, Paul Landers) but then got interested in the Blackstar Amped 3 because it also has a built in Amp. There are a few other options (Laney Ironheart loudpedal, H+K Ampman etc).

Anyone using something like this as a backup? Any suggestions/recommendations? I want something focussed on high gain and switchable boost/solo :)

• If you need a power amp, the choices are good, but effects are limited.

If an onboard power amp isn't a necessity, it's hard to beat an HX Stomp. If you need more foot switches, but not a massive effects chain the PodGo might not be a bad idea.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• If you need a power amp, the choices are good, but effects are limited.

If an onboard power amp isn't a necessity, it's hard to beat an HX Stomp. If you need more foot switches, but not a massive effects chain the PodGo might not be a bad idea.

Funnily enough I started with the HX stomp and PodGo, so good ideas :).

I'm not a huge effects user and so the idea of a built in power amp to have the option of plugging into a cab at rehearsal is appealing :)

• Makes sense.

The Blackstar ain't cheap, but includes a (limited) reverb. The H&K doesn't, but is $200 less. One of my go-to cabs on my Profiler is a Redbox, so I'm partial to the H&K. (Also, Alex Lifeson used them for years....and I'm a Fanboy of his) .

The H&K also looks more straightforward to use and supports 3rd party IRs, where Blackstar seems to imply that it doesn't.

Maybe the H&K and a mini delay an reverb in the FX loop. Sorted.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• There seems to be quite a bit of deep editing available in the Blackstar, hence why I was leaning that direction.

I tend not to use much reverb anyway so hence the H+K and Laney remain contenders ( I want to avoid any other outboard gear as I really want to keep it as a fly rig ). Don;t suppose you've tried a H+K? I've heard the Blackstar and it sounded good, wondered if anyone had used any of these in anger..

I liked the idea of the H+K spirit 200....only to find out it's £700! Bit too rich...

• the atomic amplifire used to serve me very well. Which is more than i can say about their product support, but if you can grab a second hand one they offer some good sounds. (Originally recommended to me on these forums several years ago when they first came out)

HX stomp ticks many boxes.

Depends if you want all the FX or just a few simple amp-tones to get you through the gig quickly.