I need a big sound in Mono!!

• 2nd guitar bailed on me. Can i get some suggestions on how to make my sound BIGGER in Mono? We play 80's hair Metal.

Thanks!

As I used to play in an 80's hair metal band myself.....

My general principles are:

1) I avoid delay and reverb in a twin guitar band, but single guitar band they are your friend along with Chorus as mentioned above. Still use carefully as live its more pronounced than at low volume and the opposite can happen - your sound disappears

2) Review your profiles to ensure you have that "fat" amp sound - mids are your friend

3) I believe that you will naturally sound "bigger"...Why? You are not fighting for sonic space AND you will be tighter. Tight can sound bigger too so don't immediately panic...

4) You might need to revisit some of your songs - Def Leppard famously layered their guitars with so many tracks that its difficult to cover with 2 guitars let alone 1 as they have defined parts. Alternatively Poison were generally ( sometimes Bret played a guitar) a single guitar band and so work well...

METAL!!!

• Alex Lifeson owns one of the most gigantic one-guitar sounds ever.

The right Rig set up contributes, but his choice of chord voicing was at least as important. Open strings whenever and wherever they'd work, spread-voiced chords etc.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

The right Rig set up contributes, but his choice of chord voicing was at least as important. Open strings whenever and wherever they'd work, spread-voiced chords etc.

This is true. In a trio everybody needs to think a bit differently, Geddy played lots of notes and had a thick tone that would have been a little too much in a quartet with another guitar. They also tap danced on all of those Taurus pedals, absolutely amazing. As V8 said, your arrangements probably need to change a little so the rhythm section is more supportive if you’re playing single note things.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I'd use just a touch of room reverb. Less is more, but it works great

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

Alex had the luxury of playing with one of the most prolific bass players on the planet.

That would be my advice to the OP. It's a mixture of creating a bigger sound stage but also the bass player stepping up to the plate. ZZ Top is another great example. Dusty Hill may not have been Geddy Lee but his playing was a lot more ferocious that you might think if you really listen. He understood his role in the band. Also, it's one thing to play in a three piece band from the start and entirely another thing to play is a four piece band that suddenly becomes a three piece. You don't miss something that was never there.

• Alex had the luxury of playing with one of the most prolific bass players on the planet.

That would be my advice to the OP. It's a mixture of creating a bigger sound stage but also the bass player stepping up to the plate. ZZ Top is another great example. Dusty Hill may not have been Geddy Lee but his playing was a lot more ferocious that you might think if you really listen. He understood his role in the band. Also, it's one thing to play in a three piece band from the start and entirely another thing to play is a four piece band that suddenly becomes a three piece. You don't miss something that was never there.

Good point.

Just because the second guitar left doesn’t meant the remaining guitarist is the only one that needs to step up.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I'd use just a touch of room reverb. Less is more, but it works great

I was going to say the same thing. If you worry about changing the tone too much (Chorus, pitch, etc) then add some really small room reverb. Whats great about the Kemper is you can EQ the verb settings so they emphasize the right part of your sound. And as musicmad said, less is more. You dont want the "I'm in a tube" or "in a toilet" setting :P