Newbie: Trying to make sense of profile naming conventions in search results

• Hi all. I have a few more days before I can return my Stage. I don’t want to, it’s amazing, but there is one area I can’t get my head around that’s slowly killing me, and it’s becoming a deal breaker.

I’m hoping I’ve missed something painfully obvious and you all laugh your heads off and explain it to me in simply tiny-tots terms with small words.

Ok here it is;-

I would like to build my personal library by starting with amps and setups I have been familiar with over the years.

How to I simply search for “Fender Twin amp” profiles. Or “Katana”. Or “Marshall Celestion SM57” profiles?

All I seem to see are thousands upon thousands of weirdly named profiles with oblique character strings. The actual name of the amp etc. is strangely missing (is this a copyright thing?)

What is the key to unlocking the code - what exactly do these names mean? How do I know the fundamental details of the hardware used?

I realise that every name needs to be unique, and of course everyone has their own personal naming conventions. But is there an easy search tool, or some deeper database fields I’ve missed that clearly gives the fundamental real-world description of the actual gear?

• OK here is an example

If I search for Fender Deluxe I see nothing in Rig Manager

If I search online and cross-reference, the Amp Name for a Fender Delux in Rig Manager is “Fan D’Lux”

I am trying to get my head around what this means? Why Fan D’Lux instead of Fender Deluxe?

• If I search Fender Deluxe in rig manager I get 227 results. You have to make sure that on the left column you choose rig exchange it has around 19714 rigs on it. Then you will see available for you to download. 227 of them. Its actually a really nice system. As far as the different names like fam instead of fender I don't get it either.

• 😄Thanks Tony yes I can see that. I guess I was starting with what is on my factory Stage - 1500+ profiles all (IMHO) bizzarly named and for me impossible to search. I would have thought Kemper would lead the charge and set some consistent standard. E.g. somewhere in a tag the word Fender or Marshall etc. seems like a good start, instead of having to reverse-engineer the name.

I mean, if you are looking for an iPad 4th gen you don't search for “a1458”

I guess I won’t be taking this on the stage for a very long time, but it’s too good to give up on so I will persevere. I will dig into the exchange profiles.

Pretty frustrating, very time consuming, BUT amazing tech, so I still salute you Mr Kemper!

• Names are generally not the exact wording of the original amp due to copyright infringement risk. My Line 6 stuff was also like that.

For individual users uploading things to Rig Exchange there's very little risk due to the fact that they aren't profiting from the use of the name and aren't worth pursuing by the copyright owners.

• I felt the exact same way the first few weeks. Now I don't even notice it.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• 😄Thanks Tony yes I can see that. I guess I was starting with what is on my factory Stage - 1500+ profiles all (IMHO) bizzarly named and for me impossible to search.

The Stage can only store a maximum of 1000 rigs and comes preloaded with less than 300 from the factory. You can find a list of the factory rigs and their "real" names by clicking on this link: https://www.kemper-amps.com/factoryrigs

• What I did was search for an amp for example Fan D’lux in Rig manager. Then select all and type the names Fender Deluxe in the amp field. This then changed the name of every Fan D’lux to Fender Deluxe in one step. I did the same for Speaker and Mic etc. I went through everything in the list the same way. Didn’t take very long.

• I always used the gain markers, I’m not really bothered about what the original amp was and it’s a voyage of tonal discovery. The renaming thing is a good idea though.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I’m pretty much the same now Morph but I can be a bit anal so in the earlier days I was more concerned about trying specific amps that I knew off but had never played before.

ha, my approach is always a bit more scattergun 😀

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• OK ecco un esempio

Se cerco Fender Deluxe non vedo nulla in Rig Manager

Se cerco online e faccio un riferimento incrociato, il nome dell'amplificatore per un Fender Delux in Rig Manager è "Fan D'Lux"

Sto cercando di capire cosa significa? Perché Fan D'Lux invece di Fender Deluxe?

questione di copyright...anche se si riferiscono al fender la kemper,e tutti gli altri e viceversa non hanno l'autorizzazione ad nominare e usare un nome di fabbrica gia esistente

• I would mention too that abbreviating the name of the profile also allows you to add more letters so you get more information on the LED screen. "Mars Plx +TS808" can be quickly referenced over "Marshall Plexi and Tube Screamer 808". Then when you tweak it and want to save it as a new profile you can rename it like; "Mars Plx + TS808 Best" or "Mars Plx + TS808 2". :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• It’s been a baptism of fire with my first week with the Kemper Stage. I started off frustrated- moaning and groaning about weird naming conventions whilst trying to re-create my old amps & cabs I grew up with. I realise now (thanks Finally) that the weird names are all about copyright issues that this disruptive technology brings with it.

There have been great suggestions re bulk renaming of amps/cabs etc. to something more meaningful (awesome Wheresthedug) and adapting a logical shorthand (as per BayouTexan)

Strangely, after countless hours experimenting, I’m already starting to adapt to a my new way of doing things… simply selecting a profile I like, save to Kemper and renaming it to what is meaningful to me, and not caring about what amp or cab it originated from!

After all, if I called a profile “Bananas On Fire” and it had a great sound, and I identify with that name and sound, maybe that’s all I need? An easy way to utilise this tech.

I wonder what week 2 will bring 😄

• I’ll be joining you on the Stage journey shortly … mine arrived yesterday, but done nothing with it so far as we have two gigs this weekend so not the time to try out brand new stuff!!

Great to see / read stuff like this, though: getting answers to questions I would likely have myself before I even get to them!!