How do you set your output EQ, LC and HC filters with Powered Kabinets?

• Guitar with humbuckers (PRS custom 24 or Strato Custom with bridge humbucker)

Music Style: just to give you a hint, sort of EVH brown sound, Alice in Chains, Metallica V scooped... better listen to the links below ;)

The question is that my Stage, through two Powered Kabinets, sounds a bit too harsh or trebled in rehearsals.

I've been playing with the output section EQ (bass, mid, high, presence) and the LC and HC filters, but I find myself setting LC 100 and HC 2020... it sounds better, not awesome but better, though far from the perfect sound I get live or at studio, where I have to change those eqs, LC and HC filters and for instance the HC rises up from those low 2020 until 5000 for recording, and the EQ remains flat, sounding ok through Rokit 5 KRK monitors.

How do you set your output EQ, LC and HC filters with powered kabinets?

Thanks

• I had a powered kab briefly, demoed a passive cab with my power amp a couple of times, bought 3 kones and loaded them in my cabs (112 open and closed back) and tried those for close to a year but gave up on them and went in a different direction. Most people seem to get along well with them, I didn't. You may fall in the same category as me, especially if you are setting the HC that low with the kabinet (below 4500). One of the only things I've found on the profiler I wish was different is the global Hi and Low Cut filters, it would be nice if they were available on the Main output and a separate set on the Monitor output.

• I don’t use the powered Kabinet but my Powered Head and Passive Kabinet should sound the same. I don’t apply any EQ on the monitor outs at all.

Thanks for the input Alan, I truly don't understand why in my case it sounds so much harsh through my powered kabinets that I need to dial new EQ or LC, HC... maybe the room? The guitars? I've tried with several guitars and it always comes to the same and I've got the sensation that once I start dialing new EQs or messing around for instance lowering the HC, there's a significant loss of sound quality... hard to explain, sorry... and again, thanks for the input ;)

• Thanks for the input Alan, I truly don't understand why in my case it sounds so much harsh through my powered kabinets that I need to dial new EQ or LC, HC... maybe the room? The guitars? I've tried with several guitars and it always comes to the same and I've got the sensation that once I start dialing new EQs or messing around for instance lowering the HC, there's a significant loss of sound quality... hard to explain, sorry... and again, thanks for the input ;)

That was my experience with the Kabinet

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I'm using the Kemper for recording so I don't use any cuts or EQs except inside of the DAW, but I do use the EQ's of the stack to flavor. When I do use the Kabinet, I just leave parameters the same as when recording.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Thanks for the input Alan, I truly don't understand why in my case it sounds so much harsh through my powered kabinets that I need to dial new EQ or LC, HC... maybe the room? The guitars? I've tried with several guitars and it always comes to the same and I've got the sensation that once I start dialing new EQs or messing around for instance lowering the HC, there's a significant loss of sound quality... hard to explain, sorry... and again, thanks for the input ;)

Hmmmmm, I’m not sure either. I would rule out the guitars though. If they were the cause you would expect to have the same problem with main outs to FOH or recording not just through the Kabinet.

• Highcut set at 2020Hz ? =O?(:huh:

There's must be something wrong....

Do you use Imprints or FRFR with your Kabinets ?

I don't use HC/LC with my stage cause i don't find the need to...

With Helix, i used to have a highcut/lowcut on every cab simulations, it was a must.

Despite a cab goes to 5500/6000Hz, i used to set them between 8000Hz and 10500Hz.

• I would not rule out the possibility that the Kone is defective. I believe that was the issue with the one I've got. The highs were fizzy and harsh no matter what I did. Had once a broken tweeter in a PA speaker and it was sounding like that. Definitely nothing like the demos on YT.

I had no time to wait for substitution so I've just sent it back and went with another solution.

• I'm using the Kemper for recording so I don't use any cuts or EQs except inside of the DAW, but I do use the EQ's of the stack to flavor. When I do use the Kabinet, I just leave parameters the same as when recording.

I don't use the imprints, I tried them but I prefer to hear through the monitor outputs the same signal that goes to the main outputs, mainly thinking of a live situation.

I keep the monitor cab on (it means I don't activate the "monitor cab off"), Kemper Kone on, etc.

It's ok when recording or live, the only problem is at rehearsal through the Kabinets.

• I would not rule out the possibility that the Kone is defective. I believe that was the issue with the one I've got. The highs were fizzy and harsh no matter what I did. Had once a broken tweeter in a PA speaker and it was sounding like that. Definitely nothing like the demos on YT.

I had no time to wait for substitution so I've just sent it back and went with another solution.

What was your solution? Just curiosity... ;)

• What was your solution? Just curiosity... ;)

At that point in time I've got a used QSC Q12a that was immediately available. Amp was dead after 1 year and now I use a Catalyst 100 (that serves as well as emergency Backup). Works surprisingly well for the price point. I'll probably give the Kabinet a second chance when I have the time (quite busy in the summer season), the Laney LFR series is also something I would like to try...but weight and size are a bit scary

• At that point in time I've got a used QSC Q12a that was immediately available. Amp was dead after 1 year and now I use a Catalyst 100 (that serves as well as emergency Backup). Works surprisingly well for the price point. I'll probably give the Kabinet a second chance when I have the time (quite busy in the summer season), the Laney LFR series is also something I would like to try...but weight and size are a bit scary

After a year I gave up on the Kone and went in a different direction, I didn't experience the same results as the majority of users have. After 7 or 8 months I decided to give them another shot but the results were the same as I had previously, it was very disheartening. Maybe you'll have better results the second time around. I did learn something during the process that has yielded very good results for me, I have the Kemper Kone enabled and with some minor adjustments to the Monitor Output eq my current speaker cabinet sounds fantastic, it benefited greatly from the Kemper Kone algorithm in Full Range mode, best sounding amp I've owned in 40 years.

• I have a studio eq engaged all the time with HiCut around 2-3k. LoCut as well and then some mid adjustments to get rid of some mud. Have used a matrix cfr12 went on to xitone mbritt (with and without the kone) and then a powered Kabinet. Also used several guitars. In all these combinations I have wanted a lot of cutting. What if i tried a real guitar speaker. Would that give me a natural hi and low cut and I would not need to use the studio eq? I am talking about playing backline at some volume. Cheers

• I have a studio eq engaged all the time with HiCut around 2-3k. LoCut as well and then some mid adjustments to get rid of some mud. Have used a matrix cfr12 went on to xitone mbritt (with and without the kone) and then a powered Kabinet. Also used several guitars. In all these combinations I have wanted a lot of cutting. What if i tried a real guitar speaker. Would that give me a natural hi and low cut and I would not need to use the studio eq? I am talking about playing backline at some volume. Cheers

That's what I eventually moved to, an Eminence EM12 and class d power amp. For personal monitoring it's been the best solution for me. Once you've dialed in rigs on studio monitors you can adjust the Monitor Output EQ slightly and get a tone through the EM12's thats pretty close to the studio monitors, but retains the character of a standard guitar cabinet. I do have Kemper Kone engaged in the output section and the HI Cut filter set at 6500 kHz. I just couldn't come to terms with other monitoring solutions but I'm very satisfied with the EM12's.