Never thought I'd go "virtual"

• I play in a punky original band, and over the years I've made my favorite sounds I like with a TubeWorks RT922 Pre Amp, Ramshead Muff, Morley Silver Wah, a GMajor2, and a Rickenbacker 330, all through custom stereo 2x12 self-powered guitar cabinets I built myself on a CNC (I work for a loudspeaker manufacturer for 20+ years). The amps in my speakers are Class AB Mono 300 Watt with Linear power supplies.
    I never considered going emulation-based for whatever emotional perceptions I had. Instead I bought things like a Mesa TriAxis to try and control all my sounds. But a good friend guitar player who is in a famous punk band told me he did finally, and I started considering it. I realized how fragile and limited even the Mesa TriAxis was, and thought that this level of complexity with low reliability was not a great solution.

I had heard and seen Kempers, but honestly, I ignored everything about modeling processors, so I didn't pay attention. When someone told me about the profiling function of the Kemper, I got really interested.
    I contacted my famous friend again, and he happened to have a couple of them at his studio and brought one home for me to try out.
    I called another friend who is a tube guitar amp engineer to come over, and with a few beers we started digging into the Kemper. Needless to say, our heads exploded with excitement of what this thing could literally do. We tested out the profiling functions and laughed to ourself how rediculously good it was. I was sold.

So, I bought a Stage Profiler to purely model/profile my own rig that I have spent years making my own sound out of. I plan to expand from there, but that's my starting point.
    I guess I was already halfway there having been using self-powered guitar speakers, profiling my electronics and putting right back into my cabs is as good as it gets.

I'm still stuck with a couple of pedals I can't get rid of yet, so my pedal footprint hasn't shrunk too much yet. I'll work on that over time.
    I don't think I need too much help with anything. I have found all the relevant info online and in videos that I've needed to know so far. The manual, while extensive and complete, is not very good at answering application or workflow questions.

I'm in SoCal, USA.

• Welcome, have fun here in the forum and with your Kemper. Sounds like the fun is already going on, very good! Enjoy this incredible machine as much as most of us here do. Thanks for sharing your story - very nice! :thumbup: 8)

• I've got about 15-20 hours so far of making direct profiles of my own rig and tweaking presets so I can create a perfect playable set list out of my Stage that sounds just like my full rig did. That was my primary intention anyway. I haven't even explored all the rigs that already exist in it, but I plan to explore beyond my own sounds.
    There's literally so much you can do with this thing, how do you guys have the time to really explore it all and actually use it all?

• Hello and welcome. Great entry story :)

I think the learning curve is pretty quick with the Kemper. In addition, in my experience, the people here in the forum are very nice and helpful.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• So, here's an update after about 1 month. My goal was to duplicate my existing physical rig and all patches I use with the Kemper. I have a 3 channel RT922 preamp and a GM2 FX proc with a muff pedal on the floor. I have already been using self-powered custom guitar cabs for years, so this is an easy integration for me.
    First, I was able to mod an existing pedal board case I had that was too long to fit the Kemper. It is now permanently mounted in the base/lid of that case.
    I made a new, smaller pedal board case for the leftover things I still need out of an off-the-shelf case.
    I profiled my pre-amp electronics for all my preamp modes I use, and I went through every effects patch and tried to duplicate as close as I could the same effects.
    I found that this was not as easy as the profiling. The effects are not quite the same as the GM2 and they effect the tone a bit as well. But I got it really close.
    The most different FX that i found was the Chorus between the two. I can't get anything to sound exactly like the GM2's chorus. I'm not sure if it's the actual FX settings, or the fact that I have some of my patches setup as all serial and some as semi-parallel. There's just too much to worry about! All I know is that my GM2 patch has a much wider fundamental stereo spread with more "shimmer" coloration than what I get on the Kemper. The Kemper's chorus sounds more flangery to me.
    I also spent a couple of nights messing with cabinet IR's and finally settled on what I think sounds the best and the most "me" through my recording setup.
    It was fun to use all the different mics and positions and be able to just drag them on to the profile to evaluate the differences.

Here are some pics of my case build and some of the IR testing I was doing.

• Very kool! I just got my Stage. After decades of tube amps and massive pedalboards, this is the way to go...especially at my age. Lots of gigs so I need to lighten the load! Still getting started on my rigs, and I will definitely have a handful of pedals on the side. Can't wait till I dial everything in! Have fun with your rig!