Trying to get more breakup from this tone

• I loaded up another factory profile - The Blackface Dimed. Backed off the gain all the way to zero, added compressor, a pure boost and took the definition down a bit. More power in the hammer ons! Its better than it was so I'm nearly there lol. Just a bit more tweaking to do, my strat is a rosewood fretboard though, his is a maple so always going to be a bit brighter.

• I get it. I had similar thoughts regarding the Knopfler thing. Could never get it to sound exactly right and still haven't. I'm convinced it's the player not the amp in my case.

Which Knopfler thing are you referring to? Such a great player.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• It's a right hand technique similar to the video in the original post. One Knopfler example is Walk Of Life. I associate the this technique mainly with Ry Cooder, but Knopfler does it as well. I'm not sure where it originated. There are a lot of variations on this general technique.

• Lol, wouldn't it be great if they had in a strat body style.

Still can't quite get the chimey sparkly "chkk" from any of the factory Black Face ones. Too bright sounding, have tried rolling down my tone knob but not really getting close enough.

May have look around for some paid profiles of the BlackFace, TAF do 7 for £4.99 so worth a spin. Then there's TopJimi for about $15.

• Yeah I think the rig volume is on +5 just to get some more breakup, or level. I got the Top Jimi Deluxe 64 Reverb pack which is based off the Blackface amp in that era. The low gain is giving me that chimey sparkle so having some success, but there seems to be a lot more crunch and attack when Ed's playing:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He's not hitting the guitar that hard either.

• Yeah I think the rig volume is on +5 just to get some more breakup, or level. I got the Top Jimi Deluxe 64 Reverb pack which is based off the Blackface amp in that era. The low gain is giving me that chimey sparkle so having some success, but there seems to be a lot more crunch and attack when Ed's playing:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

He's not hitting the guitar that hard either.

Rig volume males no difference to the amount of breakup or anything tonal in the profile. It is literally just a pure volume control like the output volumes but in a different spot in the signal path.

• Hmm funnily enough I did load in a Factory profile of the Vox AC15. I couldn't quite get that sparkly sound but will try again, have tried a lot of Black Face ones and maybe its not the right amp.