Ahhh What's that? A New Kemper Model? Profiler Player

• Practically equal to the rest of the Kempers? The Player is not even close, take a closer look at it.

I didn't propose it *is equal*, I've looked at it and know that.

I'm suggesting *if* they enabled everything except the profiling it would still be everything that 90% or more of the current user base needs/wants.

Therefore, if they do it for *free*, 90% will buy only the Player and Kemper will have effectively reduced their total gross sales to less than half of what they had been! Their total income would be cut in half as a result.

If you understand that premise then you can understand my point...that an upgrade that has *that* result is an upgrade to a Kemper user but a death sentence to Kemper's fiscal health. All the earned goodwill in the world won't pay their bills so it's not just a typical free upgrade.

You are free to disagree and still insist their only 'proper' move is to make it free. But thankfully they are free to not follow that advice.

• Like I said, some customers will like the digital content management model, others will not. It just totally changes how you interact with their products.

With regards to guitar gear, I personally don’t like having to register and unregister products to keep the content I’ve paid for and/or transfer it to new or used hardware if I choose to buy or sell the hardware. It’s an extra layer I don’t care for and have no intention of purchasing if they decide to change their product offerings in the future.

• Like I said, some customers will like the digital content management model, others will not. It just totally changes how you interact with their products.

With regards to guitar gear, I personally don’t like having to register and unregister products to keep the content I’ve paid for and/or transfer it to new or used hardware if I choose to buy or sell the hardware. It’s an extra layer I don’t care for and have no intention of purchasing if they decide to change their product offerings in the future.

Have they said anything about changing their decades long business model of exemplary free support that predates the Kemper Profiler?!?

Or have they described a possible upgrade path to make the Player get close to full Profiler capabilities but cautioned doing that *in this case*would come with a cost due to obvious business concerns?

I tend to take them at their word instead of jump to unsupported conclusions that defy Kemper’s history.

The reason they propose it must include a paid path makes sense. Assuming they are now suddenly going to be IK Multimedia is bizarre.

• It's a not an good idea to charge extra for updates to this device if you ask me, IF that is what Kemper actually intends to do in the future. Charging for feature enhancements puts Kemper hardware products into a totally different category IMO.

We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

There is free feature updates in the works where both levels would benefit.

• We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

But this would not cut the Player off from the free feature updates that we have pioneered back in 1998 (Access Virus Synthesizers)

Thank you for clarifying. The process you are describing makes sense. It is a relief to know that free feature updates are to be expected and that you are to be charging for a functionality upgrade to the device.

If a customer purchases the upgrade does it lock the upgrade to a single device or can the upgrade be unlocked from the device and transferred to any subsequent Player the customer purchases if the customer wishes to sell the original device? In other words does a customer own the upgrade?

I’m trying to understand how Kemper intends to manage the upgrade process and subsequent purchases of another Player and/or upgrades. Thank you.

Edited 2 times, last by texhex ().

• The really cool thing about the price point is you can buy two Players for less than a Stage. Thats right you want a Kemper that can do two profiles at a time. Bingo you got it. You can do as many as you want, just add more units. The Player is hitting so many sweet spots.

Are two Players more convenient that carrying a Stage on a Plane? Maybe run two units as one somehow? So you get more flexibility with an easier to carry footprint???

Sorry I am just riffing. Its an exciting time. The fact CK is here talking about the future of the device and its capabilities, has me excited for the future of Kemper.

• For my understanding.

I can load all profiles from the original Kemper? With all effect slots? I like the shimmer and strymon profiles. They have many effects.

And for Looping I can use an extern looper. Or maybe an Upgrade comes

Music Man JP 6-String/Piezo Pearl Redburst, Kemper Stage, Kemper Power Kabinet

• For my understanding.

I can load all profiles from the original Kemper? With all effect slots? I like the shimmer and strymon profiles. They have many effects.

And for Looping I can use an extern looper. Or maybe an Upgrade comes

You not only have fewer FX slots (which is totally understandable regarding the price), but you also only get some the effect algorithms (for example no kemper drive, no Kemper Fuzz, no special delays and reverbs,...)

• We would charge for rising the Player to a different level. And it would be one different level only, lifting it into a different product category. Free of hazzle.

The hassle is already here -- it's called waiting... ;)

For me the Player is the stroke of a genius. But I just can't wait to upgrade my device to have the full set of FXs. Q1/2024 please.

Christoph, one question, as the manual is still somewhat lacking in detailed explanation. So we have A/B in pre-stack and Del/Rev in post. I-IIII will be accessible via CC# with an external controller?

Yes, I do believe that the KPA cured my GAS.

• Christoph, one question, as the manual is still somewhat lacking in detailed explanation. So we have A/B in pre-stack and Del/Rev in post. I-IIII will be accessible via CC# with an external controller?

I believe I-III will be assignable to a footswitch as well. But the feature set isn't available yet.

• Wow. I leave you guys alone for five minutes and you're already on about something new...

I currently have a powered toaster and remote which live in the studio. If I get back out gigging next year, I'll probably buy the Stage because I enjoy the performance mode / buttons and tuner on my remote. That's a larger footprint than the Player, but I don't use any other pedals. The Stage would still slim down my rig and also let my toaster stay nice and comfy in the studio. So, the Player isn't something I would need.

That said, I think it's a brilliant addition. If I look at it as yet another amp sim pedal instead of expecting it to be a Stage or a Profiler, it's clearly going to be a huge success. It's all the tone quality you'd expect from a Kemper, and for guys who don't care about performance mode (which I'm sure is a very large percentage of users), it covers most of their needs and fits on a pedalboard.

I also understand the intentional limitations. I wouldn't spend $1500 on a Stage if I could get the exact same thing for $700. If I want a Stage, I'm willing to pay for it. If I didn't need all that, I'd be happy with the Player's limitations and the money I saved.

Adding paid upgrades to different levels of functionality makes sense. However, like others my first thought was, "Is this a sign of things to come, an end to all the free OS updates and a move to pay as you go?" I have the same trepidations when a software company offers a subscription model even though they promise to still offer perpetual licenses (which often quietly disappear a year later).

If it was anyone other than Kemper this would be a serious concern, but these guys are the gold standard for product support. I can't imagine the company changing its DNA because of one product. They are who they are, so I expect ongoing support for all products to continue to be best in class.

Well done, guys. Wishing you much success!

Kemper remote -> Powered toaster -> Yamaha DXR-10

Edited once, last by Chris Duncan ().