Re-amping multiple Tracks from one DI-track via SPDIF. Horrible Phasing / Sound. Constant Latency enabled

• Hi,

i always hear about producer blending amps and different mics / cabs from one Source.

So i figured i´d give it a Shot.

i´ve Enabled Constant Latency on my KPA and Ran one Guitar DI multiple times

through some Kemper Rigs via SPDIF.

Kemper is Clock Source via SPDIF into my RME FF800.

They do sound absolutely horrible together.

i can´t tell if it is only Phasing or sth else.

i´ve tried clean and Heavy guitars as well as countless

Profiles together.

Did anyone face similar issues ?

any ideas

cheers

• I've never heard of the constant latency switch. I've reamped and merged with analog and the Kemper USB without an issue. This is one heavy tone that had several mic'd cabs (3-5) to get one sound. I like it.

Maybe turn off that switch?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Very few situations where constant latency is needed. This doesn't sound like one of them.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• First start with two tracks. Then nudge one track slightly backwards until it sounds good. Perhaps only one sample at a time.

I too find it hard to reamp because the tracks end up out of phase.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Constant latency can indeed be important. The magic is to introduce the Kemper into your DAW as an outboard gear, e.g. for me as an external effect in Cubase. When setting this up you can let the DAW measure the overall latency of the whole chain: Going out from DAW to Kemper, processing in Kemper, sending back to DAW. Now once this latency is figured out the DAW will automatically align the tracks exactly when this is used for reamping :thumbup: 8)

If "Constant Latency" would be disabled then the measured value would only be true for the particular rig and settings. Again you'd have phasing then.

Yes, I know, not all DAWs do offer that latency adjustment for external gear. But the better ones do!

And yes, you can reamp without that but then, exactly as musicmad wrote it, you'll need to manually align the tracks to make sure you do not run in phasing issues.

• without constant latency the Tracks will be out off phase anyways because the

latency in ms is different with different rigs.

so Constant latency is as far as i know exactly for that situation.

but it does sound absolutely horrible.

i try to bounce some examples.

I've never heard of the constant latency switch. I've reamped and merged with analog and the Kemper USB without an issue. This is one heavy tone that had several mic'd cabs (3-5) to get one sound. I like it.

Maybe turn off that switch?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

thick sound!

how was your process ?

what do you mean by merge?

so you re-amped the same di into the Kemper

several times with the same Amp but different ir´s for each pass ?

and then blend it in the DAW?

thanks

• Each reamp gets a new profile. If you want, you can use the same cab on each profile but I use whichever comes with the profile's default. Then I take those individual reamped tracks and merge --->send them to a master bus (master track) so I can apply one FX/EQ to all them equally. It should not sound horrible at all but remember to lower the gain on each profile you reamp or you will get into fuzzland pretty quickly.

Another thing to note is that the initial profile that you used to make the DI can be muted/or deleted. Yo don't have to include that one because that's usually why you reamp -- to get a better sound on the next run.

Try reamping and merging a Mesa profile with a Plexi and a 5150. Play each profile at a tone you like then cut the gain on each one by 1.5-2.0 on the reamp then merge. I would even be temped to add a Vox or Fender profile into the merge.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Official Post

keep in mind that simply layering amps doesn't automatically make a good sound.
    the amps should compliment each other, pan them apart to give them space.

if you're phase aligning them, it's easier to go for the most phase-cancellation and then flip the phase on one of the tracks.

the point is, you have to have a reason to layer amp sounds, simply doing it without an underlying concept/reason is not going to produce good results.

• no plugins.

i think they can´t line up perfectly as every "amp" alters the Waves anyways - am i right?

i ran it through Auto Align Plugin but it still sounds like trash.

True. But did you try nudging them as I suggested?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• After trying many times with multiple amps, both Kemper and real, I've never found something that is really great.

Finding a better profile form a single source, or playing more DIs for each reamp is a much better tone for me. So if one rhythm each side isn't fat enough, I'll play 4 parts and maybe use a different amp then.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Yeah, good point - because that one will NOT be aligned in time with the reamped ones

Which is actually a bit wierd. I patched in the Kemper as an outboard effect in Cubase, and Cubase measured the latency and compensated (as it does). Still it sounded wierd.

Also noted that if I record DI/Stack in Cubase over spdif on two different tracks, then the DI is DELAYED in relation to the stack. It's wierd.

• I patched in the Kemper as an outboard effect in Cubase, and Cubase measured the latency and compensated (as it does).

Which I do exactly the same way, see my post above. Nevertheless I do not have the phenomenon you describe. If I record DI/Stack on two tracks and then reamp the DI track with the exact profile I get exactly the same "wet" track. And if the latency compensation did the job well they are so well aligned that they eliminate each other if I flip the phase of one "wet" track. Silence then. Perfect for me.

So what goes wrong where? :/

• Which is actually a bit wierd. I patched in the Kemper as an outboard effect in Cubase, and Cubase measured the latency and compensated (as it does). Still it sounded wierd.

Also noted that if I record DI/Stack in Cubase over spdif on two different tracks, then the DI is DELAYED in relation to the stack. It's wierd.

Could you try deactivating all other tracks, or use a fresh session to try reamping?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Which I do exactly the same way, see my post above. Nevertheless I do not have the phenomenon you describe. If I record DI/Stack on two tracks and then reamp the DI track with the exact profile I get exactly the same "wet" track. And if the latency compensation did the job well they are so well aligned that they eliminate each other if I flip the phase of one "wet" track. Silence then. Perfect for me.

So what goes wrong where? :/

Not sure. I might try again. It's been a while since I gave up on it. I can also reamp using USB now on my stage.