eight dotted delay (U2)

• Starting this topic I hoped that someone could show me which settings and ranges you'd need to get that 8 dotted tone. I still don' t feel the need for a metronome or drums, because that 8 dotted tone is more than enough for me to play that intro, like the one in my video.

Despite all you very appreciated replies :) :thumbup: none comes near.

So having such a really exact (Profiler) patch is still my wish and I'm still hoping someone's technical skills can take care for that. Then this long topic has reached his goal.

• This has been a complete waste of time, then.

You want help, and people want to provide it. No one else seems to have anything remotely close to your issue. Yet - you won't bother to provide an example of what you say is wrong, and criticize what others have taken the time to provide.

Complete waste of everyone's time.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• OK that's a clear answer. Then I must go and look somewehere else.... I'm sorry for your negative comment. I don't deserve that. I just asked for such a delay and this seems to be not possible despite all efforts by many of you, and I tried every one of them. The one in the video is still my aim but if it fails I have to move on. If you don't try you will find nothing. And success starting a topic is never guaranteed.

Still I like to thank every one of you again for your contribution.

• Or....provide and example of what you mean so we can all operate on the same page.

This is like asking a blind person what they think of the Rembrandt on the wall....

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Starting this topic I hoped that someone could show me which settings and ranges you'd need to get that 8 dotted tone. I still don' t feel the need for a metronome or drums, because that 8 dotted tone is more than enough for me to play that intro, like the one in my video.

Despite all you very appreciated replies :) :thumbup: none comes near.

So having such a really exact (Profiler) patch is still my wish and I'm still hoping someone's technical skills can take care for that. Then this long topic has reached his goal.

People have literally been telling you the answer since the very beginning of this thread. The delay settings are super easy to recreate and the Kmepr can definitely do it. The hard part is getting the PLAYING right.

• Uh... Excuse me.... but if you have a DAW then you have a click track to work with.

I've never tried to play any U2 songs but it seems like all you do is play the riff on the 1 and let the delay do the work. Right?

I seem to hear these dotted delays a lot on Sundays so can't be too hard.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• theplayer you comment #19 has already been answered as far as I can see.

BTW, you can upload your tracks to a google dropbox or just set up a free Soundcloud account, and make sure your tracks are set to 'public'

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Uh... Excuse me.... but if you have a DAW then you have a click track to work with.

I've never tried to play any U2 songs but it seems like all you do is play the riff on the 1 and let the delay do the work. Right?

I seem to hear these dotted delays a lot on Sundays so can't be too hard.

Hi BayouTexan, Yes, I use Audition for many years in my home studio. But I don't need the click track. I just play along with the song if, in this case, I have that delay. And you're right. If you mute all guitar strings and have one guitar stroke then after this stroke you hear the exact delay setting. See and listen to the examples in my reply #71 above...

• I can’t see the video either. It says “your video is not rated” and requires that I sign on to view it. I don’t use vimeo or have an account to sign into but I think it is actually saying that only YOU (the content creator) can log in to see it or change the permissions.

I’m also not sure what the audio clip is supposed to be showing us. That sounds like a serial delay with one feeding into the other. However, without some fprm pf tempo reference (such as a metronome or an actual playing clip of the riff) it has no content to determine what it’s rhythmic value is.

• I can’t see the video either. It says “your video is not rated” and requires that I sign on to view it. I don’t use vimeo or have an account to sign into but I think it is actually saying that only YOU (the content creator) can log in to see it or change the permissions.

I’m also not sure what the audio clip is supposed to be showing us. That sounds like a serial delay with one feeding into the other. However, without some fprm pf tempo reference (such as a metronome or an actual playing clip of the riff) it has no content to determine what it’s rhythmic value is.

Hi Alan and others, Can you then give me a way how to post a link and tell me wich program I need for this..?

• I’m m not sure if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but for this effect you set a dotted 1/8 note but play straight 1/8 notes in tempo. If you miss this by even a bit it turns to mush. The have mine tempo set and use tap tempo

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Hi Alan and others, Can you then give me a way how to post a link and tell me wich program I need for this..?

I’m not sure what would be best. I normally use YouTube but I’m sure Vimeo and other could also work. In YouTube the key is in setting the search/visibilty to the correct thing when uploading. There are options for Private and Public. But also the one I would use for something like this which unsearchable. In this case it won’t show up in YouTube searches etc but anyone with the link can view it. I presume there is something similar in Vimeo but don’t know what it would be called.

• I’m m not sure if it’s been mentioned elsewhere but for this effect you set a dotted 1/8 note but play straight 1/8 notes in tempo. If you miss this by even a bit it turns to mush. The have mine tempo set and use tap tempo

Hi Morph, I carefully watched the guy who's playing this and it's very simple . I don't know if you have seen my video in post #19 but he explains and shows it very clearly. There's only a stroke on each string every time for each note. The delay take care for the rest... Of course you have to play and to keep the rhythm right