eight dotted delay (U2)

• I’m not sure what would be best. I normally use YouTube but I’m sure Vimeo and other could also work. In YouTube the key is in setting the search/visibilty to the correct thing when uploading. There are options for Private and Public. But also the one I would use for something like this which unsearchable. In this case it won’t show up in YouTube searches etc but anyone with the link can view it. I presume there is something similar in Vimeo but don’t know what it would be called.

Hi wherestthedug, As you can see, I used Vimeo but where has it gone wrong then? I only requested the link that I got after uploading the video... Youtube is not the only website for getting a (free) link for your video... I never used youtube for this before and still I have send dozens of links.

• This is actually a really cool post because I too have never been able to make the delay sound properly for U2. There must be something in the recording he is doing. None of the videos on you tube sound like it to me. except for when he does it.

I listen to the videos on here and even if they sound close there is still something missing to me. Maybe its psychological.

I have been able to get close with my rack gear but never that I was 100% happy with it.

We need a good tutorial. Maybe Kemper Amps Official on you tube can make one. I would love it, that's for sure.

• This is actually a really cool post because I too have never been able to make the delay sound properly for U2. There must be something in the recording he is doing. None of the videos on you tube sound like it to me. except for when he does it.

I listen to the videos on here and even if they sound close there is still something missing to me. Maybe its psychological.

I have been able to get close with my rack gear but never that I was 100% happy with it.

We need a good tutorial. Maybe Kemper Amps Official on you tube can make one. I would love it, that's for sure.

Ah....finally a partner in my search of a specific delay! Welcome! Maybe we can make a difference together... :) 8) I know the Boss Katana and the POD HD500X can... This must be possible with the profiler too....

POD HD500X DELAY / Dotted 8th - Colcheia Pontuada (Worship, U2 / Pink Floyd style).
    Dotted eighth delay on Line 6 POD Hd500x, Colcheia Pontuada. Free settings on the video. U2, The Edge and Pink Floyd, David Gilmour style, Worship. Direct re...
    www.youtube.com

• This should really be the simplest of guitar techniques to work out. Just play 8th notes at any speed with a simple delay pedal and adjust the delay time until you feel the right effect. This would be how The Edge first worked it out.

You get a result a lot quicker than typing on a forum.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Edited once, last by karlic ().

• I apologize to the forum. Don't worry I will not bother anyone again.

That was not an attack on you, but the way I learnt.

I think we've explored every avenue with others help and now it's just time to play and experiment.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• None of the videos on you tube sound like it to me. except for when he does it.

I listen to the videos on here and even if they sound close there is still something missing to me.

The pulse of the drums and bass are also a huge part of how it all works together to sound like U2. When playing those kind of parts live, I would use tap tempo to lock in with the drummer. My suggestion is pretty similar to the others - use a drum loop (or make a percussive loop with the KPA looper), and start playing straight 1/8 notes. Then, activate the delay, and concentrate on playing straight.

• This should really be the simplest of guitar techniques to work out. Just play 8th notes at any speed with a simple delay pedal and adjust the delay time until you feel the right effect. This would be how The Edge first worked it out.

You get a result a lot quicker than tying on a forum.

What you write is just what it doesn't need! It's not about playing 8th notes. If I hit a string with just stroke than the 1/8 dotted delay will do the rest. That's what I all the time trying to say and what also the guitar player in the video says emphatically: "One of the key elemements of this song is that dotted 8th delay setting". Look at and listen to his statement at 1:48 !

For me it's no problem to play in sync with the drummer and this delay (also during the verses) but first I need to have the setting... ;) )

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• This is all getting a bit Edgey! 😁

Peace and more delay ramblings!

As I said in my previous post, using the Blue Herdim pick gives the scratch to the attack of the strings. This is key to the initial sound. It will obviously be repeated by the delay.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get to my Kemper to look up that second delay but as soon as I do I will post my settings for you to try out.

In the previous ‘Book’ of a post I didn’t mention that you might want to experiment with the Ionosphere Reverb “Pad” pre set. Mix about 20% and use the morph pedal to blend in the shimmery aspects on the outro. Sounds cool but not exactly what Edge does.

Peace.

😁

Pre-Amp

• Hi PETERFR,

Thank you for this delay setting. With this I'm almost there...! I've a little extra which would make it perfect for playing this song. Listen to this audio fragment.

I hope that you can determine how to put get this all together in one delay setting:

8 dotted...mp3
    1 file sent via WeTransfer, the simplest way to send your files around the world
    we.tl

• I recorded with these settings a short clip - sorry for crappy playing and mix:
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi…6nb5acvgwviz8gkkmm99&dl=0

The profile I used for this is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi…w0vntiyzho1a5zouc1on&dl=0t's

Hi PeterFR, Thank you for this krig. I put it right away in RM and tried it. You're very near the real one. I guess the difficulty is the dying taps after the first one.

The first tap after the string stroke is perfect. The second dying tap comes in the same tap time. But the third dying tap (even that loud as the second one) comes right after no. two.

I know that this is difficult stuff, but you sure know what you are doing. Is this third tap half time two? If so then it would be really the right delay setting.